Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goshya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
Hi there,

In the past I was able to delete emails directly in notification centre by 3D touching them and choosing ‘delete’.

In iOS 12 though 3D touching an email in notification centre seems to show a preview of the entire email and it has become impossible to delete an email conveniently because the delete button shows up way down below the email.

Is there a workaround for deleting emails in notification centre?
Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Reactions: Sirious

lemimouth

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2015
I'm wondering the same thing because this is indeed VERY inconvenient : you 3D touch an email in notification, then have to wait 1-3 seconds for the preview to load, then have to scroll at the bottom to find the delete button.

I wish there was a way to prevent the full message in preview, but I haven't found a way neither

goshya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
I'm wondering the same thing because this is indeed VERY inconvenient : you 3D touch an email in notification, then have to wait 1-3 seconds for the preview to load, then have to scroll at the bottom to find the delete button.

I wish there was a way to prevent the full message in preview, but I haven't found a way neither

We seem to be the only people annoyed by this new ‘feature’. :(

Have you found a workaround by any chance?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
OP: for the most part your post implies that it’s no longer possible to delete, but you say yourself it’s possible, just inconvenient, and then ask for a workaround. Workarounds are generally inconvenient- they work around an issue rather than remove the issue.

Your issue is that the Delete button isn’t prominent and the workaround is to scroll a bit more.

Sorry, I don’t know any other workarounds or solutions.

Last edited:

traacs

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2018
OP: for the most part your post implies that it’s no longer possible to delete, but you say yourself it’s possible, just inconvenient, and then ask for a workaround. Workarounds are generally inconvenient- they work around an issue rather than remove the issue.

Your issue is that the Delete button isn’t prominent and the workaround is to scroll a bit more.

Sorry, I don’t know any other workarounds or solutions.

the issue is that before IOS 12 the view button showed 4 or 5 lines of the message and the delete button was there now when hitting view the complete message must populate the screen and one needs to scroll to the bottom of the message to trash or delete it

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
the issue is that before IOS 12 the view button showed 4 or 5 lines of the message and the delete button was there now when hitting view the complete message must populate the screen and one needs to scroll to the bottom of the message to trash or delete it
Yes, exactly. The thread title and parts of the OP make out like the question is how to delete. The answer is the scroll a bit more, as I literally already stated in the post you quoted. OP asks for a workaround. There is nothing more you can do other than scroll more. I’m not sure what you’ve added with this post.

goshya

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
Seems like you are misinterpreting the question on purpose.

The question was how to delete emails as fast and efficiently in notification centre as it was possible pre iOS 12.

A workaround could have been that Apple hid a delete button in the 3D Touch context menu or when swiping in any kind of direction or that one can change to the old behaviour somewhere in the settings.

Having to scroll through an email to get to the delete button is far from being convenient, especially if you have already set your mind on deleting it. If I want to read an entire email, I’ll open it.

Yes, exactly. The thread title and parts of the OP make out like the question is how to delete. The answer is the scroll a bit more, as I literally already stated in the post you quoted. OP asks for a workaround. There is nothing more you can do other than scroll more. I’m not sure what you’ve added with this post.

Reactions: traacs

dedalus

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
same question for me as well. In Android it's a one step operation, click on delete, done. right from the notification center.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I thought this was just me! It really annoys me too - especially if the emails are junk/spam.
If they really want to show you the whole message, the delete button should be fixed in place, with the email scrollable behind it (if that makes sense)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.