Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
One thing I love about the iPhone X is that Notification Previews are hidden until you unlock with FaceID. Since you can unlock the phone without going to home screen you can see and respond to notifications straight from the lock screen.

For my iPad, I have "Rest Finger to Open" enabled. This will automatically unlock and take you to the home screen. Is this still the case in iOS 12? I saw a video of new features and it looks like you can now unlock but it was hard to see if he pressed the home button or just rested.

Here's the video (1:43 mark)

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
The behavior for rest finger to open has not changed. The part of the video you referenced is showing off a new swipe up to get to the home screen feature, instead of pressing the home button. This new feature will only work if you have “rest finger to open” turned off.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
The behavior for rest finger to open has not changed. The part of the video you referenced is showing off a new swipe up to get to the home screen feature, instead of pressing the home button. This new feature will only work if you have “rest finger to open” turned off.

Thanks for the reply.

So is swiping up the only way to get to the home screen now? Or enabling "rest" will take you to the home screen the same as iOS11? Sorry for the questions, if the Public Beta was out I would just install and see for myself :)

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

So is swiping up the only way to get to the home screen now? Or enabling "rest" will take you to the home screen the same as iOS11? Sorry for the questions, if the Public Beta was out I would just install and see for myself :)
Not a problem.
You can also click the home button to get to the home screen. The old behaviors still apply, they just added the iPhone X style unlock as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.