Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

To_Batistone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Let’s talk about the perfomance of this new iOS on the iPads! Is it good? How about the older iPads like the Airs?

Since the status bar was redesigned on iPads, should we wait for a new iPad with a notch? What would you think about that?

cbaitson

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
iPad Air does seem faster and more responsive. Control centre now where it is on the iPhone X and the iPhone X gestures are present which makes it more fun to use. Impressed for a first beta.

Reactions: Sdtrent

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. It is exciting that they are refocusing on optimizing performance on a range devices, but I will wait to see what the actual results are in terms of performance and battery life before I get too excited (and if beta 1 isn't great I'll wait patiently to see what later betas look like...)

Reactions: To_Batistone

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Exctited to here good news, please bring it! Haha
7A7F87B6-8BA6-46C9-BAD5-0DDEFDA34EAE.png

“Tra la la...” :D

EDIT: First Impressions

• It's a very Smooth Experience so far. I have yet to have seen any major hiccups. Performance is good (Surprising for a first Beta)
  • Group FaceTime is not available on iPad in this Beta (likely won't support Air 1, Mini 4, and Air 2 ever but we'll see)
  • Control Center is accessed from the top right (similar to iPhone X)
  • Swiping Up from the Dock quickly goes back to the Home Screen. Going further up then brings up Multitasking
  • Newly redesigned Apple Books app in line with other Apps like TV, Music, etc.
  • Option for Automatic Updates in the Software Updates section in Settings.
  • The For You section in Photos is pretty cool. However I'm more ecstatic about the Media Types Sections in the Albums tab.
fullsizeoutput_1c04.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1c05.jpeg

Last edited:

To_Batistone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
View attachment 764489

“Tra la la...” :D

EDIT: First Impressions

• It's a very Smooth Experience so far. I have yet to have seen any major hiccups. Performance is good (Surprising for a first Beta)
  • Group FaceTime is not available on iPad in this Beta (likely won't support Air 1, Mini 4, and Air 2 ever but we'll see)
  • Control Center is accessed from the top right (similar to iPhone X)
  • Swiping Up from the Dock quickly goes back to the Home Screen. Going further up then brings up Multitasking
  • Newly redesigned Apple Books app in line with other Apps like TV, Music, etc.
  • Option for Automatic Updates in the Software Updates section in Settings.
  • The For You section in Photos is pretty cool. However I'm more ecstatic about the Media Types Sections in the Albums tab.
View attachment 764507 View attachment 764508
That’s nice. I remember the first iOS 11 beta was trash. I hope this is a good sign

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Forget performance, there are bigger changes, it really brings the iPhone X experience to iPad. But it has been performing really well. Also don’t take this as a sign that the next iPad Pro models will have a notch, because I don’t believe they will. But I suppose to those who refuse to believe reports and rumours, this certainly does confirm the removal of the home button in September.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Forget performance, there are bigger changes, it really brings the iPhone X experience to iPad. But it has been performing really well. Also don’t take this as a sign that the next iPad Pro models will have a notch, because I don’t believe they will. But I suppose to those who refuse to believe reports and rumours, this certainly does confirm the removal of the home button in September.

Yeah, I don’t understand all the notch comments.

The notch on iPhone X isn’t a feature - it’s just a current necessity to have the screen expand to all corners of the device and a need to house the sensors.

With iPad I think this just shows that we’ll get Face ID. And it could happen with slimmer bezels. A lot of real estate for those sensors available.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah, I don’t understand all the notch comments.

The notch on iPhone X isn’t a feature - it’s just a current necessity to have the screen expand to all corners of the device and a need to house the sensors.

With iPad I think this just shows that we’ll get Face ID. And it could happen with slimmer bezels. A lot of real estate for those sensors available.
Definitely, I think people see the gap and take it as an indication for the notch when in reality it is simply uniformity between the UI of the gesture based devices, especially since the gestures from the top are different (i.e. control centre). It’s unlikely that we’ll see slimmer bezels compared to the side bezels of the 10.5” iPad Pro, but definitely thinner than the 12.9” side bezels, although Apple might have chosen to keep them thicker so that it isn’t unwieldy to hold.

Reactions: profets

antisomnic

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2012
Rochester, NY
I’m loving the new gestures and also the new status bar layout

Time Date on left signals and battery on right.

Out of curiosity on the cellular iPads where does the carrier name show as it used to be on the left where it used to say iPad (which was always incredibly stupid, I know I’m using an iPad) ?

Elwots

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
I am honestly surprised how well it’s running on my iPad Pro 10.5. There are obviously some bugs, but so far it seems to be running better than the final 11.4 update, IMO.

Reactions: scjr and Appleaker

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
It works well on air 2.. but found a few bugs in the first 5 minutes.

- still have the four icons limitation inside app folders, so much wasted space

-Measure app is missing

Books:
- cleaner look
- you can draw with pen and markers on PDF but can't do this on epub documents.

stocks : is nice but could be prettier

shortcuts: not sure I will use it on the ipad.

speed: it's faster for sure

maps: I don't know if it's new.. but when I zoom on my location, I can see a weather & temperature icon (but the maps is still outdated, like at least 3-4 years old)

overall: on an ipad, it feels like ios 11 in about 2 minutes! :)

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
It works well on air 2.. but found a few bugs in the first 5 minutes.

- still have the four icons limitation inside app folders, so much wasted space

-Measure app is missing

What bugs did you find? Does yours have the graphical artifacts when leaving certain apps?

Also, Measure app is not coming to iPad (At least I don’t think so). The Air 2 didn’t have AR support anyway but I’m not going to upgrade just because of that.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
What bugs did you find? Does yours have the graphical artifacts when leaving certain apps?

Also, Measure app is not coming to iPad (At least I don’t think so). The Air 2 didn’t have AR support anyway but I’m not going to upgrade just because of that.

- app icon appearing twice, or moving from one folder to the other.
- when you have two pages of icons in a folder, in you remove any on the first page, the ones from the second page will stay there and not come back to page 1
- moving an app is sometime buggy

I don't intend going back to iOS 11 unless I have a big show stopper. It seems to work fine for usual task.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Just an FYI - Measure app is on iPad, but only those that support ARKit. You're right though, the Air 2 didn't have that support, hence the missing Measure app.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Didn't want to start a new thread to ask, but did they bring back Apple Pencil gestures? On iOS 11.4 at least, you can't return to the home screen with the pencil and it'd be nice to have that back. Or an option to turn it back on.

bwhinnen

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
McKinney
Out of curiosity on the cellular iPads where does the carrier name show as it used to be on the left where it used to say iPad (which was always incredibly stupid, I know I’m using an iPad) ?

On the lock screen the carrier name is on the LHS on the home screen there is no carrier name, but the LTE and status bars are on the RHS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.