Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I have seen no significant decrease in battery life with degraded batteries on iOS devices that were maintained on their original versions. Yes, maybe my 9.7 iPad Pro lasts half an hour less than when it was new with 91% capacity, down to 13.5 hours from 14, but it isn't lasting 7. I monitor battery life, I know what I get, these aren't guesses.
My iPhone 6s gets the same battery life it did when it was new, it currently varies between 91 and 93% health.
My iPad 4 on iOS 7 was getting 14 hours 6 months after getting it, and it was getting 14 hours 4 years later with 77% health. There is no difference.
Also, these drops I mentioned were right after updating. Not an year after. Battery Heath has nothing to do with that.
A friend's iPhone 7 was getting 8-9 hours on iOS 10, just like my 6s. A few months later, on iOS 11, it was getting 5-6. Right after updating. There's no battery health factor in that. It's just the iOS version.
Hence why, I have said that unless severely degraded (let's say, at 60% health), then the health isn't a huge factor. Or at least, it isn't the factor that will make an 8-hour battery life, a 5-hour battery life, immediately after updating.

Sounds like you may have a warranty issue. I upgraded my 5s and there was a sudden and rapid drop in battery levels immediately afterward. I would have blamed the OS, except my Touch ID also stopped working. I took it to Apple and they blamed the update exposed some hardware defect, but the phone was out of warranty so they would only recommend sending it in for repair for $250. And while they could see there was a definite battery issue, they tested the 2-year old battery and declined to replace it as it tested within specs ... this was obviously prior to the throttling issue after which no questions were asked. Two years later, the battery swelled and Apple replaced the whole phone for the cost of a new battery. A presumably refurbished 5s running iOS 12 has better battery life now than it did new, albeit running somewhat slower.

Of course I’m speaking to my issues with a 5s and SE, never having used a 6s or 7. Yours is also anecdotal, but perhaps the 6s and 7 are more susceptible to iOS updates? Or, there are defects being exposed with the upgrades as in the case of my 5s? I presume you’ve factory restored, and reinstalled the phones being upgraded after experiencing these issues, and the issues persist? I find sometimes a clean reinstall solves some persistent issues as well. What has Apple officially told you about these discrepancies in power use following each update?

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Sounds like you may have a warranty issue. I upgraded my 5s and there was a sudden and rapid drop in battery levels immediately afterward. I would have blamed the OS, except my Touch ID also stopped working. I took it to Apple and they blamed the update exposed some hardware defect, but the phone was out of warranty so they would only recommend sending it in for repair for $250. And while they could see there was a definite battery issue, they tested the 2-year old battery and declined to replace it as it tested within specs ... this was obviously prior to the throttling issue after which no questions were asked. Two years later, the battery swelled and Apple replaced the whole phone for the cost of a new battery. A presumably refurbished 5s running iOS 12 has better battery life now than it did new, albeit running somewhat slower.

Of course I’m speaking to my issues with a 5s and SE, never having used a 6s or 7. Yours is also anecdotal, but perhaps the 6s and 7 are more susceptible to iOS updates? Or, there are defects being exposed with the upgrades as in the case of my 5s? I presume you’ve factory restored, and reinstalled the phones being upgraded after experiencing these issues, and the issues persist? I find sometimes a clean reinstall solves some persistent issues as well. What has Apple officially told you about these discrepancies in power use following each update?
The devices weren't mine, they were friends' devices. No hardware defects resembling yours occurred at any point.
I have had regular contact with those devices and I have specifically checked battery life myself on several occasions.
There was an immediate drop in every iOS version with no alterations in usage, with every device I have seen and tried.
Regarding defects, the devices work well, only the battery life immediately tanks. A few slight quirks might show up here and there; an odd crash, some slight hiccups, but nothing significant, in my experience; not with newer devices (32-bit devices are a different experience. iOS Updates shredded the device into near uselessness. Performance was pathetic and battery life was abhorrent. Apple seems to have the performance somewhat straightened out - they seem to work better than they used to - but battery life is still the greatest issue. With this, I do not mean that updates don't bring about performance issues, don't get me wrong; but those issues are less severe than those encountered with 32-bit devices, which were brought to a standstill).
I don't know if they were clean installed, I don't think so, but I have read that whatever improvement in battery life that might occur, it is minimal and under no circumstances does it manage to scrape the surface of initial iOS versions. That might be the solution for a small improvement, but I don't think it'll get to be what it was on the original version.
Still, that cannot explain why an iPad with 23% wear showed no significant difference in battery life when it wasn't updated; why my devices don't show any difference at all when they have 8-10% wear, but they remain on original versions, while an iPhone 7 with similar wear than my 6s - which gets the same battery life it did when new - had around 33% less battery life, and the only difference was that it was updated, while mine was not; a 6+ dropped from 10-12 hours of battery life on iOS 8 to around 7-8 hours (less than my standard 6s on the original iOS versions) only because it was updated. That 6+ had around 80% health, but my iPad showed no significant difference, with 77% health.
Example after example; test after test. The only correlation is the iOS version.
I use an iPhone 5c on iOS 9 (got it from a family member, it wasn't new, hence why it was updated), with 87% health, and its battery is poor. It gets around 3-4 hours with LTE and high brightness. My 5s on iOS 8 (widely regarded to have similar or even slightly lower battery life than the 5c), got around 6 with that usage.
I am absolutely sure (although I can't prove it), that my 5c would get 6 hours if it were on iOS 7.
Another example: I tested my iPod Touch 5G on iOS 6.0 when I got it, on December 2012: 6 hours 16 minutes of on-screen usage, mostly web browsing.
A second test was performed on February 2015, same usage: 6 hours 30 minutes.
A third test, June 2018, same usage: 6 hours, 36 minutes.
6 years later, with the same battery life it had when new, only because it is on its original version.
PS: Apologies. This was far too long.

Reactions: Fozamo and Aston441

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
The devices weren't mine, they were friends' devices. No hardware defects resembling yours occurred at any point.
I have had regular contact with those devices and I have specifically checked battery life myself on several occasions.
There was an immediate drop in every iOS version with no alterations in usage, with every device I have seen and tried.
Regarding defects, the devices work well, only the battery life immediately tanks. A few slight quirks might show up here and there; an odd crash, some slight hiccups, but nothing significant, in my experience; not with newer devices (32-bit devices are a different experience. iOS Updates shredded the device into near uselessness. Performance was pathetic and battery life was abhorrent. Apple seems to have the performance somewhat straightened out - they seem to work better than they used to - but battery life is still the greatest issue. With this, I do not mean that updates don't bring about performance issues, don't get me wrong; but those issues are less severe than those encountered with 32-bit devices, which were brought to a standstill).
I don't know if they were clean installed, I don't think so, but I have read that whatever improvement in battery life that might occur, it is minimal and under no circumstances does it manage to scrape the surface of initial iOS versions. That might be the solution for a small improvement, but I don't think it'll get to be what it was on the original version.
Still, that cannot explain why an iPad with 23% wear showed no significant difference in battery life when it wasn't updated; why my devices don't show any difference at all when they have 8-10% wear, but they remain on original versions, while an iPhone 7 with similar wear than my 6s - which gets the same battery life it did when new - had around 33% less battery life, and the only difference was that it was updated, while mine was not; a 6+ dropped from 10-12 hours of battery life on iOS 8 to around 7-8 hours (less than my standard 6s on the original iOS versions) only because it was updated. That 6+ had around 80% health, but my iPad showed no significant difference, with 77% health.
Example after example; test after test. The only correlation is the iOS version.
I use an iPhone 5c on iOS 9 (got it from a family member, it wasn't new, hence why it was updated), with 87% health, and its battery is poor. It gets around 3-4 hours with LTE and high brightness. My 5s on iOS 8 (widely regarded to have similar or even slightly lower battery life than the 5c), got around 6 with that usage.
I am absolutely sure (although I can't prove it), that my 5c would get 6 hours if it were on iOS 7.
Another example: I tested my iPod Touch 5G on iOS 6.0 when I got it, on December 2012: 6 hours 16 minutes of on-screen usage, mostly web browsing.
A second test was performed on February 2015, same usage: 6 hours 30 minutes.
A third test, June 2018, same usage: 6 hours, 36 minutes.
6 years later, with the same battery life it had when new, only because it is on its original version.
PS: Apologies. This was far too long.

Well I don’t know what to tell you other than I’m not having any of those issues on any of my iOS devices, and my SE and 5s are running better than new on iOS 12.

Also my mom has an original 5c running 10.3 and it easily gets over 6 hours usage, and that’s used with a BT headset.

The only thing I’ve experienced is sudden battery drain after an update that returns to normal after a week or so, which seems to correlate with others suspicions that the phone is performing various BG tasks, indexing and so forth that taper off over time. New upgrades also enable new features which can often contribute to power drains, and need to be turned off. I know my SE was running more or less normally on iOS 12, although with the reduced battery life I’d come to expect over the last year or so, but a new battery fixed that.

My own theory is that these batteries aren’t as easy to test or calibrate as Apple suggests, given my own experience with a battery that performed poorly after an update yet tested perfectly for Apple. New OS updates not only put more strain on an older battery, but fail to properly calibrate them. That’s likely why Apple now replaces batteries with no questions asked when a customer says their battery life has dropped dramatically. I know they didn’t blink an eye even though my SE showed 89% health.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
i've got a different issue on ios 12.1 with SE

sometimes when the phone completely charge. i cut off the charge and swipe right to the widget screen, and all of them are loading from scratch, like their processes are ended during charging period. and all my background apps are loading from start too. excluding stock apps. i don't see this on iphone 7,especially the widget reload issue.but happening too much on SE. is that a ram management or something else? anybody see this on their device?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It would probably decrease battery life to around half, which will eventually decrease health dramatically.
Essentially, yes.
Probably, or simply might? And around half, or perhaps something else, if anything?

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
We have 3 iPhone SEs on iOS 12 and none seem to have any problems. All three phones are on the iCloud and sync various things with an iPad and desktop/laptop each. 3-4 year old iPads on iOS 12 and 3-5 year old laptops/desktops on El Cap. Except me - I have the new Mac mini on Mojave so my bookmarks sync ;)

JaxTeller

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2017
We have 3 iPhone SEs on iOS 12 and none seem to have any problems. All three phones are on the iCloud and sync various things with an iPad and desktop/laptop each. 3-4 year old iPads on iOS 12 and 3-5 year old laptops/desktops on El Cap. Except me - I have the new Mac mini on Mojave so my bookmarks sync ;)
which iOS did you have prior to iOS 12 on the SE's?
[doublepost=1544279203][/doublepost]
It would probably decrease battery life to around half, which will eventually decrease health dramatically.
Essentially, yes.
such a shame.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
I noticed decreased battery life, but could be due to my battery health only being 80%. I'm cutting it close in getting it replaced at the discounted $29 Apple store price for 2018.

Other than that, performance has been great, no issues. The screen resolution is a problem in certain apps/games where the UI elements are super huge and take up a lot of the screen.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
which iOS did you have prior to iOS 12 on the SE's?
[doublepost=1544279203][/doublepost]
such a shame.
We had ios 11 and all the dot upgrades. This is due to my Apple watch and the fact that we all tend to upgrade together (the 3 of us). My son has Pokemon Go and it is a battery suck. But when he isn’t on it we tend to only use 20-40% of the battery in a day - however, we are fairly light users as we all have ipads and desktops/laptops.

GoCanes

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2016
so I gave up and updated my SE from ios 9 to 12. havent noticed huge difference. will keep checking it

GoCanes

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2016
really? what's your battery health. PLease keep us updated.
battery health shows 84%, tbh i cant understand battery usage info, it was much easier on ios 9, i cant really tell how much time i used my phone since full charge

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
battery health shows 84%, tbh i cant understand battery usage info, it was much easier on ios 9, i cant really tell how much time i used my phone since full charge
Yeah they messed up the stats. Made them more convoluted. You didn't know that before updating?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Received my iPhone SE back from Apple today. They've replaced the battery for free, when I expected to pay the discounted replacement fee. Not sure why, as phone is 20 months old so out of 1 year warranty. Am happy about it though!

Possible they are doing a quiet battery replacement program for the SE given complaints since iOS 12?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Received my iPhone SE back from Apple today. They've replaced the battery for free, when I expected to pay the discounted replacement fee. Not sure why, as phone is 20 months old so out of 1 year warranty. Am happy about it though!

Possible they are doing a quiet battery replacement program for the SE given complaints since iOS 12?

How’s the battery?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.