Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
If I want to try the iOS 12 Public Beta and have an Apple Watch S3, what does that mean for my Apple Watch and Watch OS?

Can I run the iOS 12 Beta with the current Watch OS 4.3.1/are they compatible?

This is the first time I’m interested in trying out an iOS beta software on my daily driver, but don’t want to risk bricking my AW3.

Any suggestions or experiences from those who’ve taken the plunge. Thanks.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Not only can you but you MUST since there is no and NEVER has been a public beta for the watch.

So FAR the only 'beta' problem I have had (so anecdotal and your 'milage' may very) is when using the Workout app and having my iPhone with me the GPS doesn't attach. So to get a GPS/Map of my activity I must turn my iPhone off so the Watch GPS records.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Not only can you but you MUST since there is no and NEVER has been a public beta for the watch.

So FAR the only 'beta' problem I have had (so anecdotal and your 'milage' may very) is when using the Workout app and having my iPhone with me the GPS doesn't attach. So to get a GPS/Map of my activity I must turn my iPhone off so the Watch GPS records.

Must what?

And have you tried any other app for fitness purposes that utilize gps say like NRC+? How skewed are the GPS data?

So it seems the use of the the watch is fine with the iOS 12 beta for you so far other than GPS discrepancies?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Must what?

And have you tried any other app for fitness purposes that utilize gps say like NRC+?
Wouldn't matter since using a 3ed party WITH your iPhone on and with in range the Watch will still use the iPhone's GPS. This is an Apple hardware implementation of the way GPS works with your iPhone in range.

On my Watch it is NOT connecting to GPS at all and just using the accelerometer/gyroscope the same as in indoor run.

Also I use NRC+ on my iPhone (NOT Watch) simultaneously to get a 'backup' of my run and the GPS is 'messing' up on it too. There seems to be a problem with GPS on the iPhone in iOS12 and I think it's related to my problems. See this thread.https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gps-issues.2121913/page-7#post-26192540

Reactions: CaptMarvel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.