Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOS 12 VS Android P ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I have been asking people who bring up Android innovation, but I can't seem to get any answers. What are some innovative features introduced in Android over the last few years?

Since Android Oreo (8), project Treble:
https://www.androidauthority.com/project-treble-818225/

In a nutshell: drivers are further detached from the OS so new OS updates won't require manufacturers to completely rework their drivers and they can simply push an update as-is if they don't want to rework their specific UI tweaks as well. Long story short: if a device ships with Android Oreo, it hopefully should get the next version (P) from a manufacturer if they care. Google's Pixel devices will still get regular updates anyway so those don't count. If you're with one of the major manufacturers (OnePlus, Samsung, LG, etc...), updates for devices shipped with Oreo should be more regular.

Basically, this is now caught up to what Apple has been doing with iOS since OTA was introduced in iOS 5.

Also since Android Oreo, Bluetooth audio codecs got pushed to the latest tech:
https://www.androidauthority.com/bluetooth-audio-android-o-758401/

Note that as of iOS 12, Apple still doesn't support aptX in iOS. MacOS does support aptX. This probably doesn't matter to those who don't give a damn about wireless audio or for those who consider themselves "non-audiophiles." Beyond all that, what this means is simply that if you have a Bluetooth headphone/headset/earphone, Android gives you full functionality, whereas iOS may not. Even MacOS does not.

Considering there are very few Android phones left with 3.5mm jacks, and many Android + iOS devices are now without the jack, Bluetooth is basically the only other way. Now, again, whether you "care" or not is basically all that's left, so this is up to preference.

Next, color management is also better on Android Oreo:
https://www.androidcentral.com/everything-you-need-know-about-android-color-management

It's a minor point, and something iOS has done since version 8 (and improved in iOS 9 with the introduction of the iPad Pro), but if you think some Android devices with OLED screens have far too saturated screens that look very inaccurate, this may fix it. Again, still up to the manufacturer to implement it, but most devices shipped with Oreo should have some amount of this. Makes the displays look far better.

Notification differences were already covered, so... not gonna keep talking about that. But we also have ambient display (always showing the time and some notification info so you know if there's anything new that requires your attention), Google Assistant being far better than Siri, and multitasking/multi-window being much better. I won't go into details with those because those are features people won't really see often unless they are power users, but the main things above (updates, audio, video) are major features that most users should be able to notice and appreciate.

Basically, from my standpoint, Android is now about on par with iOS in terms of functionalities, only with the addition of customizations, which I'm guessing some feel are superior to the "one path" approach of iOS. Where the users are concerned, it's just a matter of what one prefers, and whether the use case fits a platform.

I wouldn't buy an Android phone for my grandma, for instance. It has to be an iOS device. But I personally wouldn't use an iPhone now until Apple at least realizes how horrible notifications have become after iOS 11. Performance is one thing, but it gets annoying when I have to wait hours to clear all recent notifications, or swipe each and every single one away.

Reactions: Regime2008

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
Since Android Oreo (8), project Treble:
https://www.androidauthority.com/project-treble-818225/

In a nutshell: drivers are further detached from the OS so new OS updates won't require manufacturers to completely rework their drivers and they can simply push an update as-is if they don't want to rework their specific UI tweaks as well. Long story short: if a device ships with Android Oreo, it hopefully should get the next version (P) from a manufacturer if they care.

If they care is the key part here. Samsung and LG current phones both have Oreo 8 not 8.1 for example so they clearly still don't care enough to rollout the latest version. P may be different, it will be interesting to see how all the manufacturers do. LG and others are making the right noises but Samsung I suspect do not care at all and I'd bet on 2019 for P on the S9. The Pixel has an open goal this year imo.

Also since Android Oreo, Bluetooth audio codecs got pushed to the latest tech:
https://www.androidauthority.com/bluetooth-audio-android-o-758401/

Note that as of iOS 12, Apple still doesn't support aptX in iOS. MacOS does support aptX. This probably doesn't matter to those who don't give a damn about wireless audio or for those who consider themselves "non-audiophiles." Beyond all that, what this means is simply that if you have a Bluetooth headphone/headset/earphone, Android gives you full functionality, whereas iOS may not. Even MacOS does not.

This remains a big deal for me, android has aptx-hd and LDAC whereas iPhones are capped at 250 kbps AAC. Any files with a bitrate higher than 250 kbps are re-encoded, so take Spotify the 320 kbps vorbis files are re-encoded to AAC and shaved from 320 to 250 kbps. A lot of people will say that 250 kbps is transparent enough anyway and they may be right but I'd like to see Apple put this one to bed, all the time apple music is at 256 kbps though they probably feel they do not need to.

Last edited:

Sunshoopa

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2011
Post this on Mac Rumors and you’ll get iOS 12.
Post this on something like XDA and you’ll get Android P.

Need a neutral site for it to be fair, athough I’m not sure where that is.

Reactions: Regime2008

hunt2013

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Access to the beta doesn’t mean the OEMs will adopt stock Android (except for Android One devices). That just mean those people with those phones can help Google in beta testing P (vs just Pixel users). That’s all. You won’t see Huawei or Xiaomi abandoning their EMUI/MIUI.

I didn't say they would. I was pointing out that it is that much easier for the updates to come out now. Of course they wouldn't drop their own UIs.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
If they care is the key part here. Samsung and LG current phones both have Oreo 8 not 8.1 for example so they clearly still don't care enough to rollout the latest version. P may be different, it will be interesting to see how all the manufacturers do. LG and other making the right noises but Samsung I suspect do not care at all and I'd bet on 2019 for P on the S9. The Pixel has an open goal this year imo.

That's the problem. Ironically enough, some Chinese manufacturers (Oppo, OnePlus, Vivo and Xiaomi) are leading the charge: https://developer.android.com/preview/devices/

Samsung and LG (Korean companies, incidentally) are actually not the big manufacturers you think they are. They just make a lot of phones with high-end specs.

Sony unexpectedly made the list. Essential is now just a "whatever" if you have followed recent news.

But of course, this is Android so you could sideload things any time. Official updates have never been an obstacle for those who would like to tinker with their phones.

This remains a big deal for me, android has aptx-hd and LDAC whereas iPhones are capped at 250 kbps AAC. Any files with a bitrate higher than 250 kbps are re-encoded, so take Spotify the 320 kbps vorbis files are re-encoded to AAC and shaved from 320 to 250 kbps. A lot of people will say that 250 kbps is transparent enough anyway and they maybe right but I'd like to see Apple put this one to bed, all the time apple music is at 256 kbps though they probably feel like they need to.

AAC is actually not supported by a lot of devices because the decoder needs to be licensed. Certain headphones/headsets don't have it at all. See here:
https://darko.audio/2017/03/the-inconvenient-truth-about-bluetooth-audio/

So for the most part, unless you specifically buy something that supports AAC (Sony licensed it for their devices so you should be good with a Sony-branded headphone), you're stuck with SBC. It's worse than most people think.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
There's one thing that consistently keeps me from Android, and it's that when the screen dims on iOS you can tap anywhere and it won't activate anything on the screen, but when when it dims Android you have to be careful because it may activate a button. I think it has something to do with the Linux core, because the POS systems at work behave the same way. Am I on the right track?

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
That's the problem. Ironically enough, some Chinese manufacturers (Oppo, OnePlus, Vivo and Xiaomi) are leading the charge: https://developer.android.com/preview/devices/

Samsung and LG (Korean companies, incidentally) are actually not the big manufacturers you think they are. They just make a lot of phones with high-end specs.

Sony unexpectedly made the list. Essential is now just a "whatever" if you have followed recent news.

But of course, this is Android so you could sideload things any time. Official updates have never been an obstacle for those who would like to tinker with their phones.

AAC is actually not supported by a lot of devices because the decoder needs to be licensed. Certain headphones/headsets don't have it at all. See here:
https://darko.audio/2017/03/the-inconvenient-truth-about-bluetooth-audio/

So for the most part, unless you specifically buy something that supports AAC (Sony licensed it for their devices so you should be good with a Sony-branded headphone), you're stuck with SBC. It's worse than most people think.

I know but plenty do, a guy I work with uses Sennheiser M2s on his iPhone, I have not got the heart to tell him!

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Essential PH1 has beta P and Google is moving to 64-bit and other improvements. The June security updated dropped on Essential days after announcement.

2019 should find USF 3 and DDR5 in Samsung and top tier phones.

I also have iPhone X so I can do side by side - and prefer Essential.

Notifications: Android
Customization of desktop and lauchers: have to wait for iOS 13 to see what Apple can do.

If you want a VPN system wide that works and doesn't cost an arm and leg or slowdown system I think Android is preferable.

But I will never use just one platform. Not for phone, tablets, desktop.

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Have 12, tried P9. P9 actively promoted reduced security and personal privacy, 12 promotes it. End of story.

Reactions: MLVC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.