Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Running latest iOS 13 on iPhone 8. Does anyone know how to correct the issue with the stock Email app: everytime I open the app it displays the list of all emails when I only want it to display just unread. Does not matter if I filter by unread and close - next time I open it goes back to the list of all email, read and unread.

Never had this issue with any other version of iOS until now. Yes, I know the Outlook app is better, however, I am currently using Outlook for my work emails and want to have a separate app for personal emails.

Any suggestions or fixes...?

Been having that issue for a while now. I have yet to find a fix or a suggestion that works consistently.
Still looking ...
[automerge]1575496223[/automerge]
You are saying you were always able to have it only display unread messages and that's it?

This was part and parcel of my normal use. Could open the stock Mail app and see the list of unread (All Unread). Now most times I see the All Inboxes instead. :confused: Depending on how many accounts and email interaction with other devices (ex: work laptop or iPad) the Unread may be mixed with Read.

Original use: Unlock device > Open Mail > Look at Unread emails
Current use: Unlock device > Open Mail > Shows either All Inboxes OR Unread > May have to manually refresh to view all available unread emails.

Does it stop me from using the devices? No.
It does take a time saving quick check away from me. Something I had come to depend on.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Try changing the password on your iTunes account for App Store, Music, etc. and log back in.
If it's the iCloud account, try logging out of all devices and also change the password and log back in. Sometimes this will fix this type of issue.
Try this:
• login to appleid.apple.com and check if your account needs to meet any new security requirements.

Reactions: dk001 and Isamilis

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
For those of you having issues connecting to Exchange, try this:
• Remove the account from Settings and restart the device
• Ask your Server Admin to Remove the device from Exchange.

After the Server Admin remove the device from Exchange:
• Add the account to Mail
• Ask the Server Admin to make sure the device is not in Quarantine.

Please report back if that works.

I was able to get an iPad Pro 12.9 working again, now working on an iPhone 11 Pro. Both running iPadOS/iOS 13.2.3

Did this - not sure it changed much because somewhere around 13.2.1 my Exchange mail started working better with Mail, but it seemed like good hygiene. A note for anyone who wants to try this - I was able to delete my device myself. We use Citrix and VMware for remote access but also have OWA (Outlook Web Access). The Options>All Options>Phones menu in OWA allowed me to review and delete one or more of my devices without bothering anyone in IT.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Did this - not sure it changed much because somewhere around 13.2.1 my Exchange mail started working better with Mail, but it seemed like good hygiene. A note for anyone who wants to try this - I was able to delete my device myself. We use Citrix and VMware for remote access but also have OWA (Outlook Web Access). The Options>All Options>Phones menu in OWA allowed me to review and delete one or more of my devices without bothering anyone in IT.
Great! The large organization I support does have a way to delete mobile devices, but
my client uses Office 365 and his account doesn't have a way to delete his own devices.
Even the company that supports him was not able to do it, and had to open a ticket with Microsoft.

The insight is that there's a threshold on the number of mobile devices that can synchronize with the mailbox. Once you exceed it, weird things could happen.
And thinking about, most people just add their new phone or tablet and don't know they should remove their old devices from the list.
In my client's case, I still suspect some sort of corruption with the device list; hopefully Microsoft will be able to fix it.
If this was a real issue with iOS 13, the news about it would have gone viral already.

Reactions: newellj

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Great! The large organization I support does have a way to delete mobile devices, but
my client uses Office 365 and his account doesn't have a way to delete his own devices.
Even the company that supports him was not able to do it, and had to open a ticket with Microsoft.

The insight is that there's a threshold on the number of mobile devices that can synchronize with the mailbox. Once you exceed it, weird things could happen.
And thinking about, most people just add their new phone or tablet and don't know they should remove their old devices from the list.
In my client's case, I still suspect some sort of corruption with the device list; hopefully Microsoft will be able to fix it.
If this was a real issue with iOS 13, the news about it would have gone viral already.

I bumped into the limit (10 in our case) years ago because between ordinary replacement/upgrade phones and returned/exchanged iPhones and iPads I went over. IIRC I got errors that kept me from adding whatever it was (phone or iPad) to our MDM program.

At various times I've had one or two iPhones and one or two iPads enrolled, so deleting devices needs a little care. I was glad when our IT people told me I could do it myself, rather than asking them to do it (and I think they were, too).

Anyway, as I said, I don't know if completely deleting the phone and then reenrolling it from scratch made a difference, but it certainly seems like good hygiene. Sort of like the MDM equivalent of a clean install. It seems like it could certainly eliminate any odd sync errors that were caused by something other than iOS or the Mail app.

While I'm tapping out a too-long reply, I'll just mention again that Mail is the only mail client that is set up to work with our MDM program, supposedly because it's the only client that supports remote security abilities (including wiping the device).

Reactions: Amazing Iceman

ovo6

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2015
Anybody’s iPhone pro getting hot for no reason doing little things , that’s never used to happen

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
IPP 11 on 13.2.3
At the point I may go ahead and save / wipe restore my IPP. I am getting wifi disconnect errors (open app and it cannot find the wifi) AND my spell check has degraded to the point I have turned it off. Add in the other RAM issues especially in Spectrum TV and Safari and I have little to lose.
btw - I have done the forget wifi and redo - no joy. Not seeing this on any other Apple devices (those are on 13.3 pb).

I'll update once done and have done for a day to let it settle.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
holy heck maps has gotten terrible on my 13.2 iphone 7. did a road trip this past weekend and it was basically unusable the entire time.

-entered an address (correctly) and got routed to a completely different city - it would literally show the correct address on the map, and as soon as you hit go, it would completely change.

-on an address that did work, it would repeatedly refresh "continue onto..." every 5 seconds while driving down the highway. it wasn't losing gps and was correctly showing the car following the road, it just was reading it as a new instruction in an endless loop.

-finally it frequently would just give up and stop routing altogether and go back to the "directions" screen midway through trips.

is this nonsense happening to anyone else? maybe resetting all settings will help, but i find i'm running up against issues where the proposed solutions are to reset/restore so often, i can't imagine how anyone could consider this a good user experience. :confused:

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
These still happen often on my iPad Air 3.

1. I will frequently lose all of my open Safari tabs on my iPad. Not on my phone so far.

2. I will be playing a full screen video in safari. When I wish to turn the phone off but still hear the video, I will turn the phone off and the video will stop, as expected. I will turn the phone on via the bottom button or side button, see the play button on the lock screen screen for the safari video, press it but then the screen control will switch the music app. Constantly.

3. iPad screen seems much less responsive at times, as if there are dead spots.

4. Siri dictation results are much more awful than before and often stops before I am done.

5. Battery life is horrible.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I'm still seeing poor RAM management on this latest update. Apps seem to always be closing in the background and reopening. Its really driving me nuts. Is anyone else seeing this?

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
These still happen often on my iPad Air 3.

1. I will frequently lose all of my open Safari tabs on my iPad. Not on my phone so far.

2. I will be playing a full screen video in safari. When I wish to turn the phone off but still hear the video, I will turn the phone off and the video will stop, as expected. I will turn the phone on via the bottom button or side button, see the play button on the lock screen screen for the safari video, press it but then the screen control will switch the music app. Constantly.

3. iPad screen seems much less responsive at times, as if there are dead spots.

4. Siri dictation results are much more awful than before and often stops before I am done.

5. Battery life is horrible.

It seems there is serious issue on your iPad. if I were you, I will reset all content and install 1-1 the app. I have ipad 3 and not experience any issues above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.