Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alstrial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2020
Hello. I’m currently using an iPhone 11 Pro Max and I realised that my iPhone stutters while scrolling through home page, apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) and also the videos on YouTube seems to be played with low frame rate even at 1080p60fps. Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

iPhonNick

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2019
Netherlands
I'm not seeing any stutters on my XS and even my old 2016 SE doesn't seem to have stutter issues. Video's on YouTube are also playing on high frame rate on both devices. Both are running iOS 13.5.1.
You might try a reboot.

Alstrial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2020
I'm not seeing any stutters on my XS and even my old 2016 SE doesn't seem to have stutter issues. Video's on YouTube are also playing on high frame rate on both devices. Both are running iOS 13.5.1.
You might try a reboot.
I have tried rebooting and resetting my iPhone but it’s still stuttering. Could it be a hardware issue? I called Apple support. They checked and said hardware is in good condition. The YouTube videos lag before iOS 13.5.1 update. But I only realise the stuttering while scrolling after the iOS 13.5.1 update. Also when I start to screen record, the scrolling becomes smooth but once I end the screen record, it’s back to stuttering.

Last edited:

iPhonNick

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2019
Netherlands
Strange, You restored your iPhone with the 'Erase All Content and Settings' option in Settings - General - Reset? Or with the IPSW file and DFU mode?
Restoring with the IPSW file and DFU will wipe the entire device and also perform a full reinstall of iOS, this might fix some issues while the 'Erase All Content and Settings' option might not. It's worth a try if you haven't tried it already.
You can also try to update to iOS 13.6 beta 3, I heart that beta 3 fixes some issues, compared to iOS 13.5.1, such as the battery drain issues (which I haven't seen either).

Alstrial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2020
Strange, You restored your iPhone with the 'Erase All Content and Settings' option in Settings - General - Reset? Or with the IPSW file and DFU mode?
Restoring with the IPSW file and DFU will wipe the entire device and also perform a full reinstall of iOS, this might fix some issues while the 'Erase All Content and Settings' option might not. It's worth a try if you haven't tried it already.
You can also try to update to iOS 13.6 beta 3, I heart that beta 3 fixes some issues, compared to iOS 13.5.1, such as the battery drain issues (which I haven't seen either).
Oh, I restored my iPhone with the ‘Erase All Contents and Settings’ option. I will try updating my iPhone to iOS 13.6 Beta 3 to see if it get rid of the stutter. If not, I’ll restore my iPhone with IPSW file and DFU mode. Thanks for the advice!

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
I also have the stuttering problem. Re-installed from DFU mode but my iPoneX still stuttering while scrolling but actually only on the BBC app.
Restarting solves the problem for a while. But it returns.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I have the same thing. It’s a pretty ****** update. Scrolling stutters and freezes. The camera hangs and you miss shots because of it. I just wish there was a perfect update and I wouldn’t want to move on from it unless I know the next version is solid.

Alstrial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2020
I also have the stuttering problem. Re-installed from DFU mode but my iPoneX still stuttering while scrolling but actually only on the BBC app.
Restarting solves the problem for a while. But it returns.
Yours only happen on the BBC app? Hopefully it will be fixed on the next iOS update.
[automerge]1594302300[/automerge]
I have the same thing. It’s a pretty ****** update. Scrolling stutters and freezes. The camera hangs and you miss shots because of it. I just wish there was a perfect update and I wouldn’t want to move on from it unless I know the next version is solid.
I have the same issue with camera too. The scrolling stutter is pretty annoying even if it’s just a micro stutter.

Last edited:

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Yours only happen on the BBC app? Hopefully it will be fixed on the next iOS update.
[automerge]1594302300[/automerge]

I have the same issue with camera too. The scrolling stutter is pretty annoying even if it’s just a micro stutter.
Mine happens if safari a lot. Also the camera. This is a pretty buggy release imho.

purped94

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2019
My iphone xs also got some minor stutter especially when scrolling in 3rd party apps. Scrolling in instagram comment section is the worst but i have try updating to ios 13.6 beta 3 and the stutter seems to be reduced even though not 100%

Alstrial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2020
So I just updated my iPhone to iOS 13.6. It did not get rid of the stutter. I also tried restoring my iPhone with DFU mode but the stutter is still there.

B5E23773-8125-4BDD-9FF0-B97FC135EE05.jpeg

Also is it normal to have only 5.3% free memory with only safari opened on my iPhone?

Last edited:

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
So I just updated my iPhone to iOS 13.6. It did not get rid of the stutter. I also tried restoring my iPhone with DFU mode but the stutter is still there.

View attachment 934308
Also is it normal to have only 5.3% free memory with only safari opened on my iPhone?

My stuttering iPhone does not stutter anymore after update to iOS 13.6
It was indeed only happening at one app: the BBC-app. Reading your story once more, I would contact Apple service about this. If you are still under warranty they should fix it. If you bought your phone in the European Union you are entitled to a proper working phone and protected by warranty under law. If you bought your phone less than half a year ago in the EU, you are entitled to a brand new phone.

Alstrial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2020
My stuttering iPhone does not stutter anymore after update to iOS 13.6
It was indeed only happening at one app: the BBC-app. Reading your story once more, I would contact Apple service about this. If you are still under warranty they should fix it. If you bought your phone in the European Union you are entitled to a proper working phone and protected by warranty under law. If you bought your phone less than half a year ago in the EU, you are entitled to a brand new phone.
Thanks for letting me know! I have contacted Apple support and maybe sending my iPhone for service at a nearby Apple store.
[automerge]1594991487[/automerge]
May I know if anyone is experiencing YouTube video lagging/stuttering or video playing with low frame rate? It happens when I enter full screen and adjust the volume by pressing the volume buttons. I have updated my YouTube app to the latest version.

Here's a screen record of my iPhone 11 Pro Max playing a video on YouTube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.