Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebski

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
UK
Hello everyone,

As far as I know 13.5 introduced a new “feature” to allow unlocking your face ID iPhones when wearing face masks. But how does it actually work? Do I need to enable it? I can’t seem to find any settings for that.
I was doing shopping earlier today and every time I wanted to check something on the phone, I tapped the screen or pressed power button to wake it up, then the padlock icon was wobbling to indicate that my face wasn’t recognised. I had to swipe up the screen to be able to enter my passcode. The same with Apple Pay: double press on power button and a message comes up “face not recognised” and I had to press “pay with passcode”.
Should all that not be automatic???

Thanks

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
Hello everyone,

As far as I know 13.5 introduced a new “feature” to allow unlocking your face ID iPhones when wearing face masks. But how does it actually work? Do I need to enable it? I can’t seem to find any settings for that.
I was doing shopping earlier today and every time I wanted to check something on the phone, I tapped the screen or pressed power button to wake it up, then the padlock icon was wobbling to indicate that my face wasn’t recognised. I had to swipe up the screen to be able to enter my passcode. The same with Apple Pay: double press on power button and a message comes up “face not recognised” and I had to press “pay with passcode”.
Should all that not be automatic???

Thanks

Prior to 13.5, when wearing a mask, there was a 3-5+ second delay before you could enter the pin code. Now it is close to instantaneous.

Reactions: one more

Sebski

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
UK
Prior to 13.5, when wearing a mask, there was a 3-5+ second delay before you could enter the pin code. Now it is close to instantaneous.

Thanks for responding.

I can’t see much difference to be honest ?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
...the padlock icon was wobbling to indicate that my face wasn’t recognised. I had to swipe up the screen to be able to enter my passcode.
That’s how it works. It fails to the passcode faster than it used to.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
As it turns out, iOS will not allow to set alternate appearance for a face covered with mask.

Wow. That option was supposed to be helpful/ promoted towards setting an appearance for a face covered with mask. Oh well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.