Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Has anyone noticed greatly increased background activity since 13.5? If I open the weather channel app it will run in the background 24 hours a day. I use Jabber for work and its not even open in the background but is running. This is on all my devices. Other apps are doing this as well. What changed in the background?

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

sallythemac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Hello. Exactly the same thing here, but only in iPadOS. Couple of delivery apps I have tested with have been running for 6+ hours In the background, even when they have no data to refresh. Sounds like a bug - may update to 13.6 beta to see if it is still there.

Market_Shifter

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
I had the same thing happened to me. I even contacted support and they ran a diagnostic on my Iphone 11 Pro and every thing came back healthy but i now need to charge my phone once in the middle of the day if too i have more than lik 5 apps on in the background.

It seams that when going to the battery and checking what apps were using the most battery the highest consumption was coming from my HomeKit apps such as Hue. Mine just began on Sunday June 28th and before then i could get though and entire day and half of the next day without charging without a problem

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Has anyone noticed greatly increased background activity since 13.5? If I open the weather channel app it will run in the background 24 hours a day. I use Jabber for work and its not even open in the background but is running. This is on all my devices. Other apps are doing this as well. What changed in the background?

Yes, I noticed that too! I think is a bug since iOs 13.5 and on
I have battery problems now, since then both iPad and iPhone . The iPad Pro actually needs to be replaced after a diagnostic test: 1 year old! I have reported to Apple the background issue

Another difference is that before, you could isolate an app you did not want to work in the background but now it is gone for all apps . There is just the generic in Screen Time but even if it is off doesn't work.

Last edited:

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
Unceasing activity is just another manifestation of what is being discussed in another thread --- battery drain. See here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-drain-across-devices.2239995/

People report it for a number of apps, but it's probably not the app itself. It's probably a bug somewhere in iOS. The CPU time is simply being allocated to an app.

Apple has simply gotten too big, what you're seeing is what Jobs was afraid of and what Guy Kawasaki called a "Bozo Explosion". There are just too many clowns who now work at Apple, so we get all these stupid bugs. Every software release is 2 steps forward, 1 step back. https://kevinpaulscott.com/the-bozo-explosion/

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
In the App Store “The Guardian” UK app apologies for a bug that affected around 50 popular apps that was triggered by a third party advertising partner. The Guardian says it has fixed its own problem in the latest release. It doesn’t say how the bug manifested itself but it seems likely they are talking about this problem. I have not seen the latest Guardian app occupying 24 hour periods so it seems likely. There were also tons of other updated apps in the last week. The Telegraph app has not been updated and can still sit permanently in background.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
Many apps that work on the background, keep working on the background even when you have turned this 'feature' off; both in the app settings and in the iOS settings.
Closing the app that is troublesome helps, but not completely.
I also had a problem with iCloud. I was not logged into iMessage. Which I was.... but when I opened the settings, I wasn't.... I was logged into all other services and I saw a spinning wheel telling me the app was connecting to iCloud, which it couldn't.
Safari on my iPhoneX also seems to be the biggest battery-eater. Even when I hardly use it.

pazgb

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2013
I had similar. Upgraded to 13.6 beta 3 and my background draining reduced to almost nothing with background refresh off.

Much better than 13.5 or 13.5.1

Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I had similar. Upgraded to 13.6 beta 3 and my background draining reduced to almost nothing with background refresh off.

Much better than 13.5 or 13.5.1

I read that few other users have improved the battery drain since upgrading to the beta 13.6
but others keep having issues: waiting for the official release to see how it goes
Finger crossed

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I sure noticed it the past few nights. Usually I have my phone on charger as I sleep, I had to set it for a 6am alarm yesterday and this morning. With 100% charge last night at 12:30am'ish, my battery was down to 83% yesterday morning, 74% THIS morning. Screen off, no apps running.

Looking at Battery activity, it seems Dropbox is running in the background all night at various % rates! I have that app background refresh off. I started noticing this crazy battery drain when I was out on Sat. Not much use with my phone, but in the span of just 2 hours I was down to 69%.

Extremely not normal. I updated to 13.1.5...skipped the previous 2 updates after seeing some other issues on here.
In the past when I left it off my charger I may lose 4-5% at the most overnight, 6-7 hours. (Battery health shows "95%") SMH

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Seems like various people are noticing something along these lines with different apps: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/08/iphone-users-report-music-app-battery-drain/

For mer personally, by deleting the Dropbox app yesterday. Leaving the phone off the charger again overnight for about 6 1/2 hours. I woke up to a battery life of 99%. (I did not delete Apple Music - even though I should...I don't use it.) Nothing on my Battery Usage chart showed anything in use overnight.

So that seemed to be the issue for now.

RCC1028

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
iOS 13.6 has totally solved the battery drain/apps running in the background issue for me on my iPhone 11 Pro, I am getting great battery life and the phone is back to normal.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
iOS 13.6 has totally solved the battery drain/apps running in the background issue for me on my iPhone 11 Pro, I am getting great battery life and the phone is back to normal.
Same for me. 13.6 is the best release of iOS 13 so far IMHO.

RCC1028

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
Same for me. 13.6 is the best release of iOS 13 so far IMHO.

I totally agree. It just works so much better. I was a little concerned about upgrading as I did not want worse issues but it was so worth it. I have really great battery life as well as can now use the problem apps again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.