Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Concerns me on who writes these apps ...

I read that Apple is being very strict on what apps get the new app entitlement. You can assume the official CDC app and probably Apple's App will be the one's using it in the US.

"Apple Inc. and Google said their upcoming contact-tracing tool will be restricted to one public health app per country to get as many people in each nation using the software as possible."

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-19-tool-to-be-limited-to-one-app-per-country

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
I appreciate the recommendation but I am using gmail now and really dislike not being able to deal with calender invites on the stock app. My work email (still using stock app) which is also exchange uses them liberally. Hoping to eventually move back to just stock and awaiting their fix. Sad because it has worked well for me for years.
"Google supports Google Sync (and the Exchange ActiveSync protocol) for Google Apps for Business, Government, and Education. Only these users can set up a new Google Sync connection that uses Exchange ActiveSync."

You do know that Google has purposely broken Gmail "exchange"for "normal" users because they don't want to pay Microsoft for the Active sync license right? The only way to have full Gmail functionality on your iPhone is to download the Gmail app. Hence (OK one of the many) reasons that I do not use Gmail on my phone. Or frankly at all.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
It still takes a while for mail to load in my inbox with this version. I’ve all but given up on that being fixed.

I just hope they’ve fixed the bug where you’re notified of “n unread” and the inbox just sits and does nothing without manual intervention.

Don’t they use their own products at Apple? Does that bug not annoy them?

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
24hrs later... And the benchmarks results are good against 13.4. & 13.4.1 official releases.

iPhone XR | CPU performance improvement on multi core up by 80. Yes it might be small. But it’s better!
And it’s a consistent CPU improvement Upwards, from ios 13.2 in general.)

jrdatrackstar1223

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Brownsburg, IN
3D Touch app switcher bug still present for me where after restarting you can’t push and pop the app switcher, it only allows you to switch to most recent opened app. After releasing the press and try again it works. This also happens randomly when not using the phone for a while, also present on 13.4.1 and not sure if it’s intended behavior but never ran into it prior to 13.4.1.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I read that Apple is being very strict on what apps get the new app entitlement. You can assume the official CDC app and probably Apple's App will be the one's using it in the US.

Have to wait and see.
If Apple and Google write them.
It is the third parties, or more importantly if they are written or contracted by government agencies. I have no faith in those folks ability keeping data private.
[automerge]1589901454[/automerge]
"Apple Inc. and Google said their upcoming contact-tracing tool will be restricted to one public health app per country to get as many people in each nation using the software as possible."

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-19-tool-to-be-limited-to-one-app-per-country

Yet you have places like Cali that wants their own version of the app ....
[automerge]1589901589[/automerge]
Pro Max 13.5 PB4
Seeing a noticiable issue with RAM management.
Almost all of my memory intensive apps are relaunching instead of reloading from the task manager.
App speed appears to be faster however the animations seem to drag out.

See how it is after a couple of days.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Have to wait and see.
If Apple and Google write them.
It is the third parties, or more importantly if they are written or contracted by government agencies. I have no faith in those folks ability keeping data private.
Well at least installing such app is voluntary, or hopefully so.

I have heard some bars/restaurants in Australia refuses people going in if covidsafe app (Australia’s covid app) is not installed. Not sure how this will pan out in US.

Reactions: dk001

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Apple Music app is kind of annoying. I have downloaded songs in my iPhone but takes a bit to load. It even says “loading”. It’s acting as if it’s being loaded using cellular data. This makes no sense whatsoever. Did basic troubleshooting and no luck. My data speeds are really slow right now so even loading a song that’s not in my storage takes a few seconds. Same thing happens with songs that are downloaded.

Beta 4, it would play instantly.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
So here is what I found? IOS is much faster!! And how is my mail working fine again? I though it was still broken? Also one bus Apple TV+ streaming to 1080P Apple TV the intro and preview are all silent and when the movie streams from my iPhone to Apple TV like 2 maybe 3 times it will drop the movie and I have to reload and beam it to the TV again. But first 3 min of previews and recaps on the shows are all silent and than it’s good to go?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Well at least installing such app is voluntary, or hopefully so.

I have heard some bars/restaurants in Australia refuses people going in if covidsafe app (Australia’s covid app) is not installed. Not sure how this will pan out in US.

I see it totally voluntary in the US.
It would be interesting to see what / how often you run into someone.
If you can count on the privacy aspect of it.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I see it totally voluntary in the US.
It would be interesting to see what / how often you run into someone.
If you can count on the privacy aspect of it.
I'd almost bet that you're right about voluntary in the US. People are already losing their ****. If they force us to download an app for this...I see that being a spark.

I don't have a lot of faith in the "privacy" aspect when it comes to whoever develops the app. If Apple developed an app themselves...I'd be more inclined to trust it. But they aren't...so I don't.

j0nblayz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Still have blank keyboard issue in spotlight after using my smart keyboard on my iPad Pro. Gonna have to try restoring and see if that fixes the issue.

pcdtech

Suspended
May 11, 2020
I’m no longer experiencing the issues I saw on the prior beta with Homepod not being able to answer the easiest of queries. They’re acting normal now.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
I'd almost bet that you're right about voluntary in the US. People are already losing their ****. If they force us to download an app for this...I see that being a spark.

I don't have a lot of faith in the "privacy" aspect when it comes to whoever develops the app. If Apple developed an app themselves...I'd be more inclined to trust it. But they aren't...so I don't.
I expect that it will be voluntary from a governmental perspective -even though if we want to end this scourge it should not be- but I expect it won't be voluntary if you want to go to a private location, like a store or a baseball game. There you will have to prove that you are safe. Even though that's asking you to prove the negative, which we all know is impossible to do.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Pro Max PB4
Just did a test and sent 2 photos and one gif to my daughter - she is on an iPhone 7+. The items went through with no issue as soon as I clicked send. The photos were newly taken in outdoor sunlight (morning) and the gif was an older one.
Sent the same to my other half - she is on a Samsung Galaxy 8. The photos went through but loaded very slow, approxinately 15-20 seconds. The gif failed. A retrigger of the failed gif was successful.

There is definitely something wrong with MMS. I have been having issues like this off and on throughout iOS 13.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Pro Max PB4
Just did a test and sent 2 photos and one gif to my daughter - she is on an iPhone 7+. The items went through with no issue as soon as I clicked send. The photos were newly taken in outdoor sunlight (morning) and the gif was an older one.
Sent the same to my other half - she is on a Samsung Galaxy 8. The photos went through but loaded very slow, approxinately 15-20 seconds. The gif failed. A retrigger of the failed gif was successful.

There is definitely something wrong with MMS. I have been having issues like this off and on throughout iOS 13.
I used to sometimes have a problem sending SMS and MMS to android devices then tried it with iMessage turned off and it worked great. Then later had a friend using an iPhone try to send me an SMS to my android and it would not go thru till iMessage was turned off on their phone. Don’t know why this happened but since I don’t use imessage anyway not an issue for me any longer. This was running iOS 12 so maybe no longer a problem

Reactions: dk001

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Is the download going slow for anyone? My iPhone 11 pro says 2 hours. My 2018 iPad Pro was about 5 minutes.

One some of my devices it was a tad slow. It’s supposed to be sub 60 seconds for me. But on some it took a few minutes. I would call that slow. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.