Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrInquestador

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2015
I have an iPhone 8 Plus backup phone which I recently bought. 100% battery health. Anyways, when it was still on 13.5.1, battery was top notch. Now with 13.6, I experienced a 40% drop after 24 hours with the phone on airplane mode and standby. Whereas on my Pro and Pro Max, I would lose 4% overnight versus 2% on 13.5.1. Obviously, this is a bug. Bad Apple.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I have an iPhone 8 Plus backup phone which I recently bought. 100% battery health. Anyways, when it was still on 13.5.1, battery was top notch. Now with 13.6, I experienced a 40% drop after 24 hours with the phone on airplane mode and standby. Whereas on my Pro and Pro Max, I would lose 4% overnight versus 2% on 13.5.1. Obviously, this is a bug. Bad Apple.
Check and see which apps are using the most battery in the background. There’s been some server side bugs that have been causing battery drain on iOS versions from iOS 13.5-14.0. Perhaps try deleting and reinstalling the Apple Music app on your 8+ and see if that resolves your issue. Apple Music has proved to be the culprit in a number of cases of background battery drain.

Reactions: Isamilis

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Apple Music has proved to be the culprit in a number of cases of background battery drain.

I'm having the battery draining over night now but according to the Battery history in Settings -> Battery it's the music service app Tidal that is the culprit. Been like this for a couple of days now, was fine before. Not sure what triggerd it.

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
I am now experiencing this problem. It’s happened to me twice now since updating the phone. The first time it was Webex Teams background activity, I noticed the phone was incredibly hot so I checked to see what was going on and the battery section of settings reported it as that. I rebooted the phone and charged it back up. It’s been fine for a few days. Last night the NYTimes was the culprit. It just consumed power for two and half hours with the screen off until the phone died. I’m curious to see if this keeps occurring with the same app or it just moves to a different one. I didn’t experience any of this with 13.5.1 and it started for me with 13.6. I have an iPhone XS.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas

I am seeing the same. Siri is using ~25% of my battery daily. I have disabled Siri and dictation but the problem still persists.

petercw2

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
Me too. Siri is consistently one of the top apps in battery usage, I've got hours where it's 50%+ and I'm not even using it.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I don't get it why it's behaving that way for you. Siri doesn't hit my battery usage chart at all on my xR. Do you have the Siri Suggestions for Search enabled?

petercw2

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
yes, I'd tried shutting off various Siri features but it was preventing CarPlay. So, let me try these too. thanks.
that said, I've never had Siri pull battery like this until 13.6

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
yes, I'd tried shutting off various Siri features but it was preventing CarPlay. So, let me try these too. thanks.
that said, I've never had Siri pull battery like this until 13.6
I hope that came out right. I have those Siri Suggestions/Search settings disabled. I do have Hey Siri enabled though, but still it never hits my battery graphs.

petercw2

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
I've tried many different things short of wiping the phone and fully reloading. Can't recreate the issue consistently and the jump of Siri draining the battery from <1% up to 60%. but 13.6 has done something that wasn't occurring prior related to the alarming draining of my battery.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
It looks like this issue come from sync with Apple (either iCloud, Music, or Siri). If this is the case, reinstalling would not help, maybe you can try fixing this via other device / Mac. I did this when I got my Notes sync infinitely, which finally I fix via logoff/login/resync from other device.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
My battery was lousy on 13.4, then good on 13.5, now I’m barely able to make it to the end of the day again on 13.6. No obvious cause. Just sucks.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Look for key points in the battery life with significant drops along with high activity, click that area and see what was going on.

Here is mine for example....

IMG_97E0721BE7A3-1.jpeg

At that particular drop the phone (me calling someone) used the most amount of battery level.

Keep in mind that "battery usage by app" is a PERCENTAGE equally 100% used in that time period and is not indicative of the app actually using a lot of battery.

For example...

IMG_2227A0740D53-1.jpeg

Siri was 100% of the battery consumption between 3pm and 4pm. However this is only because its a percentage based on 1 thing, 1 of 1 = 100%. And if I look back up to the battery level I can tell that it dropped maybe 1%. So Siri used 100% of maybe 1% over the course of an hour aka not a lot.

You have an iPhone 8 Plus with 100 battery health? Did when and where did you get the phone? Potentially 3 year old phone with 100% battery seems hard to believe. Not saying you are lying but an aftermarket battery reporting max capacity isn't uncommon if the phone was bought 3rd party....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.