Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marksname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2020
There is a Personal Hotspot bug on iOS 13.6 which is frustrating. Even if I have both iCloud accounts connected on each device (iPhone and iPad for example), in the Settings, when I go to the "Personal Hotspot" section, the “Allow others to join” will be activated/turned on regardless, which turns on the hotspot and make it discoverable. I believe that before the update, "Allow Others to join" has been toggled off, thus only making it discoverable in which devices are connected to the same iCloud account or those who activated family sharing.

Also, I’m unable to connect to my hotspot whenever there are several WiFi routers nearby, it keeps saying it’s unable to join.

Is it just me that is having this issue? I don't want it to be discoverable. I'm not sure if Apple will fix it in the next update (hopefully iOS 13.6.1?)

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I don't use it often enough to state with any authority, but any time I wanted to use my hotspot, I had to turn it on on my phone (and then connect my other Apple Devices). I didn't ever have an option to have the other devices (Mac, iPad, iPod touch) connect unless I changed the 'Allow Others to Join' setting to on. From what I can tell, 13.6 works exactly the same as prior versions. I do have a password on my hotspot, so it's not a big deal to me.

marksname

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2020
I don't use it often enough to state with any authority, but any time I wanted to use my hotspot, I had to turn it on on my phone (and then connect my other Apple Devices). I didn't ever have an option to have the other devices (Mac, iPad, iPod touch) connect unless I changed the 'Allow Others to Join' setting to on. From what I can tell, 13.6 works exactly the same as prior versions. I do have a password on my hotspot, so it's not a big deal to me.
Hmm, that’s strange because when I was on iOS 13.5.1, I was able to use my hotspot without “Allow Others to Join” setting on. And that is how it is supposed to work anyway. I’ve heard that this feature was implemented since iOS 13.1

It’s either that or I’m misunderstanding the hotspot feature on iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.