Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

My wife just got her first iPhone, which is on iOS 13.2. Her laptop (main computer) is on Mac OS 10.13.6.

iTunes (on her mac) can't connect or recognize the music app on her iPhone. (Although the two Photos apps can talk to each other.)

To get the two "music" apps to talk to each other, is there any other solution other than upgrading the OS on her laptop?

Thanks

Last edited:

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The only ways the Music app "talks" to iTunes on a computer are:

1) Traditional syncing of music from the computer to the iPhone - that definitely would work - see Apple Support article https://support.apple.com/HT210612

2) Cloud syncing using either iTunes Match (the "old" way), or an Apple Music subscription. If you subscribe to either of those services, it's just a matter of checking the right check boxes in iTunes (Mac) and the Music app settings on iOS. See Apple support article https://support.apple.com/HT204926

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Thanks for the reply.

I'm familiar with the traditional method, as I've synced many ipads and ipod touches using iTunes for years using a USB cable. But when I plug my wife's iPhone into her MacBook Pro, the iPhone doesn't appear in iTunes. Her old ipod touch (running older iOS) appears normally in iTunes, but not the iPhone.

Photos recognizes the iPhone and I can sync photos.
Furthermore, the iPhone appears in System Report, in the USB section.

I read the first Apple support document, but it didn't help.

The only thing I can't think of is that the latest version of the music app (from iOS 13.2) on the iPhone can't talk with iTunes version 12.8.2.3.

Can anyone confirm that they can "talk" to each other?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
She needs to install the iTunes supplemental update. Tell her to go to the Apple website and re download iTunes. I'm running 13.3 and synch with an iMac running 13.13.6 with no issues

Thanks for this.

As a side note, just upgraded iPhone 6s+ from OS12.4.1 to OS13.3 a few minutes ago. It wasn't recognised through iTunes by my Mac running Mojave 10.14.6 with iTunes on 12.9.5.5.

However, as instructed in the linked thread, updating MobileDeviceUpdater.app worked. :)

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Thanks! I'll give that a try as soon as she returns with her Mac.

But reading the solution in the discussion thread makes me realize, once again, how far we've fallen from the days of the natural and intuitive Mac OS environment...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
But reading the solution in the discussion thread makes me realize, once again, how far we've fallen from the days of the natural and intuitive Mac OS environment...

To be fair, I did receive a small pop-up prompt when I plugged the phone in, directing me to update... but there was no information provided as to what was being updated and the size of the download. I cancelled it, concerned that it was a full Catalina upgrade, all 8Gbs of it, which my set-up isn't fully ready for yet.

The days of the semi-intuitive Mac OS environment only seem to count if you keep your Mac within one OS version of the current release.

Tim needs a new pair of shoes.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thanks! I'll give that a try as soon as she returns with her Mac.

I received a pop up when I plugged my iPhone in and installed the update. I had no issues involved with the process and iTunes immediately recognized my device. The reason I have the link is because many in my family as well as people who have inquired on this forum did not install the supplemental update when prompted or just never received it for one reason or another. Hope you get it sorted out..

Loa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Québec
Yep! The update from the deeply hidden app worked! Thanks for the tip!

(And no, I didn't get the automatic pop-up at all, none of the 10-12 times we plugged and unplugged it trying to figure out why it wasn't working.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.