Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
You can give it a try (and not hit continue). However, as this is a new install, rather than an upgrade, I’m not sure it will work. I’m guessing “yes”, as others are in your position with older devices, but not 100% certain.
Thanks. I guess I have nothing to lose. Although I think I’m stumped anyway as if I amend times for reminders on my Mac they no longer sync with the phone. Gutted as I’m the kind of person who needs reminding!!!

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks. I guess I have nothing to lose. Although I think I’m stumped anyway as if I amend times for reminders on my Mac they no longer sync with the phone. Gutted as I’m the kind of person who needs reminding!!!
Right, I tried my luck and pressed Continue. Thankfully it gave me an option to upgrade now or later. I picked later. I’ll test tomorrow to see if synch is reactivated to my antiquated El Capitan.

Reactions: gwhizkids

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Update:

Guys, following on from my posts above, I'm now using iOS 13.2 and Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6.

When I upgraded to iOS 13 I made sure I didn't upgrade the Reminders app as I knew if I did I'd be unable to sync reminders between my El Capitan and iPhone.

All was working as it should up until about a week ago. But all of a sudden, if I amend Reminder dates and times on my Mac that amendment doesn't cut across to the iPhone. However, if I amend Reminders on my iPhone they do cut across to my Mac.

Any ideas what has gone wrong please?

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I had the same problem with notes and ios 12 and el cap. My solution was to upgrade my machine to a mac mini with mohave. Then it worked.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I had the same problem with notes and ios 12 and el cap. My solution was to upgrade my machine to a mac mini with mohave. Then it worked.
I'm in no position to upgrade unfortunately, but I'm wondering if deleting the Reminders app then reinstalling it might work?

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I'm in no position to upgrade unfortunately, but I'm wondering if deleting the Reminders app then reinstalling it might work?
I completely reinstalled el cap twice. Then found a thread that indicated you need sierra or higher for reminders to work. Once I got the new machine with mojave reminders finally worked.

Reactions: scouser75

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I completely reinstalled el cap twice. Then found a thread that indicated you need sierra or higher for reminders to work. Once I got the new machine with mojave reminders finally worked.
I reinstalled El Cap too but made no difference (I knew it wouldn't too). I'm going to wait till the next IOS update and see if that changes anything as it was working fine a couple.of weeks back.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Update again:

And sync has gone again! Since the latest iOS update Reminders are no longer syncing again between my iPhone and Mac running El Capitan 10.11.6. It used to be dodgy to start with, but since this new iOS update it isn't working at all.

I had some overdue reminders, which I changed the dates for on my Mac so they were no longer overdue. However, these changes do not sync with my iPhone.

Any suggestions please (other than updating El Capitan, which isn't an option due to age of my Mac ?)?

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I think I might have sussed it...

If a Reminder pops up on my iPhone and Mac, if I want to be reminded in an hour of that reminder, if I click "Remind me in an hour" on my Mac, the reminder disappears from the Mac. BUT it remains on my iPhone screen.

But if my phone receives another notification that reminder will disappear from the iPhone screen. I think this is a Push problem.

Also, today my Mac just isn't receiving emails for a few minutes after my iPhone receives that same email.

I have no idea what is going on!

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I had read somewhere that Icloud “requires” sierra or higher to work properly.
Kind of. If you don't upgrade the Reminders app you should be fine with older Mac os's. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. But it seems reminders doesn't even work well on newer Mac os's, so it seems to be a typical apple glitch.

K_C

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
FYI, I'm currently using iPhone 7 Plus Max iOS 13.7 and 2011 iMac El Captain 10.11.6. Didn't upgrade the remainder apps, and if you wish to sync reminders or Notes you can do it thru iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.