Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
There's one issue I'm having with iOS 13: in Contacts it defaults to calling with WhatsApp.

When I press "Call" on a contact (the blue circle) iOS pops up a menu where the default option is "Call WhatsApp" ["Bel WhatsApp" on the screen shot]. I have an unlimited plan for calls so I have absolutely no idea why I would need that. I just want to make a regular call through my service provider the standard option instead of iOS defaulting to a third-party app.

How do I go about doing that for all current and future contacts? So far the only method I found is to do it on a per contact basis which is really tedious.

Attachments

• IMG_1273.png
    IMG_1273.png
    394.5 KB · Views: 661

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
Thanks for reminding me about this. I noticed this a few times and it's really annoying. How can we set what defaults a contact has?

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
All right. I am seeing this with my phone too, but this is just in labelling. If I 3D Tocuh a contact, the first image shows. Then, if I tap "Call WhatsApp" it just slides down to reveal numbers. This happens regardless of having a single number or multiple. It never calls via WhatsApp at all. We have never been able to set default calling program in iOS.

There is some issue with this labelling, or as Apple is famous for saying, we are reading it wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_0204.png
    IMG_0204.png
    484.7 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_0205.png
    IMG_0205.png
    411.7 KB · Views: 334
Reactions: Super Spartan

maxi_mus

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2021
This is insane, I don't even allow Whatsapp to have access to my contacts, yet there is no way of disabling this behaviour in the Phone app. I don't want anything to do with Whatsapp anywhere near the Phone and the Contacts app.

velvetlounger

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Issue still exists in 2023. The default action of the call button goes directly to WhatsApp. The crappy thing is that if you dont have the full international phone details (ie. +1 for US) WhatsApp fails to make the call. Frankly this is BS on the part of WhatsApp. I NEVER use WhatsApp for phone calls. The fact that it takes over the default button action is so frustrating.

butcherbird

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
Actually, I just started having this same problem in iOS 17.0.3. Sorry to see this is a continuous problem in iOS. What is so hard about defaulting outbound phone calls through our carrier, and forcing anyone who wants to use 3rd party calling apps to make that choice in Settings? This should be the way on every iPhone. smh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.