Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marlman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
As soon as the public beta becomes available i will be installing iOS 13 on my iPad Pro.

So to get it ready i want to buy an adapter to plug in an external drive. Does anybody have one that works?

Ideally it would let me charge as well so don’t mind a hub.

If anybody has any suggestions please leave a few links preferably for Amazon UK

Thanks

CLS727

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2018
Will it work with external storage?

I have a SSD with 4TB of movies that would be awesome on an airplane.....

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I bought one of these when it was a Kickstarter for only $49, hoping that Apple would be unlocking the capabilities of the USB-C port come iOS 13 and am now glad I did. Like how the design is meant to complement that of the iPad Pro.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
I bought one of these when it was a Kickstarter for only $49, hoping that Apple would be unlocking the capabilities of the USB-C port come iOS 13 and am now glad I did. Like how the design is meant to complement that of the iPad Pro.
How well does it work? It looks pretty awesome but I've heard people have had trouble getting stuff to work if more than one port is being used simultaneously.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
How well does it work? It looks pretty awesome but I've heard people have had trouble getting stuff to work if more than one port is being used simultaneously.

Admittedly, haven’t seriously tested it yet since the usb functionality was absent. I’m loading the iOS 13 beta as I type this so I’ll give it a go later if possible.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007

My iPad Pro 2018 does not like my 2TB SSD when formatted as a whole disk 2TB partition. It won't see it as 1x2TB or 2x1TB. It WILL see it as 3x667GB. I'm assuming this is a bug.

The performance I'm seeing is TERRIBLE. I copied an 88GB file from one SSD to another through a USBC hub and it took 45 min on the iPad. Unplugged it and plugged the exact same setup into my MacBook Pro, copied in three and a half minutes. I understand this is not a common use case, but I wanted a way to see overall throughput and this is as good as I could think of.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

marlman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks for the replies I think I will go for the first one suggested the Lenovo.

It’s from the UK so delivery is fine and it has 3 USB ports which will be perfect I think!

My plan is to attach a portable hard drive or stick and also use my wireless mouse with a USB adapter and still be able to charge it.

Well that’s the plan anyway!

Reactions: chrism_scotland

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

According to a posted review on Amazon it needs to be connected to power. Not sure if that's accurate, check it out first.

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK

It doesn't seem to work with a 4TB MyPassport Wireless Pro or 6TB LaCie Porsche Design formatted to HFS+ but it works with a 64GB Sandisk thumb drive. I hope it's only a problem and will be fixed before GM as the 4TB MyPassport Wireless Pro is exactly what I want to use it with (because sometimes a wired connection is better) :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.