Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which devices do you think won't make the cut for iOS 13?

• A7 based devices (iPhone 5s, Original iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3)

Votes: 180 73.2%
  • A8 based devices (iPhone 6/6 Plus, 6th Gen iPod touch, iPad mini 4)

Votes: 120 48.8%
  • A8X based devices (iPad Air 2)

Votes: 38 15.4%
  • A9 based devices (5th Gen/2017 iPad, iPhone 6s/6s Plus)

Votes: 23 9.3%
  • A9X based devices (Original 12.9" iPad Pro, 9.7" iPad Pro)

Votes: 7 2.8%

• Total voters

WingsAndBeer

Cancelled
May 24, 2019
Should be axed? Do you work for Apple? No customer wants anything axed.

Yeah I understand that, but I was just stating how it is. Apple's customers are not my concern. You'll be fine considering they axed A7 and A8 1GB devices anyways (Thank you Apple).

Why should they be axed?

Lower RAM/processing amounts pigeonholing newer software features.

Last edited:

J.Appleseed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2012
The Netherlands
iPhone 6s and above I read somewhere.

Apple’s press statement states iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2 as the oldest devices that will run iOS and iPadOS 13.

New software features will be available this fall as a free software update for iPhone 6s and later, and will be available with iPadOS for iPad Air 2 and later, all iPad Pro models, iPad 5th generation and later, and iPad mini 4 and later.

Cisto1983

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2015
Italy
Super weird, they did not mention device support!

Schermata 2019-06-03 alle 21.23.12.png

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Team RAM vs. Team SoC

Given the history of Apple iOS, I'm still putting my bet on Team SoC. The cutoff for iOS 13 will be based on SoC.

As for A8, I can see them dropping it this year. Apple has already provided 4 years of major iOS updates for it, just like they have for previous SoCs.
Team RAM wins! 2 GB is the cutoff.

New software features will be available this fall as a free software update for iPhone 6s and later, and will be available with iPadOS for iPad Air 2 and later, all iPad Pro models, iPad 5th generation and later, and iPad mini 4 and later.

Apple’s press statement states iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2 as the oldest devices that will run iOS and iPadOS 13.
Perfect for us. I refused to buy the iPad Air and waited for the iPad Air 2, and I refused to buy the iPhone 6 and waited for the iPhone 6s.

The reason was specifically because of RAM.

The kids now use our two Air 2s and a family member uses the 6s.

Last edited:

WingsAndBeer

Cancelled
May 24, 2019
Super weird, they did not mention device support!

It's because they are dropping both the 5S and the 6.

They purposely omitted standby time on the 4S (during the keynote) because it was significantly worse than the 4. They'd rather people find this type of info out in fine print.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
So glad the SE made the cut.
For most of us, there was never any doubt the SE would make the cut. The big question was the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

I knew it. A7 and A8 were axed except for A8 devices with 2GB of RAM. The A7 and A8 were a bit too slow anyway, and keeping them on iOS 12 is a good time to retire them.
The odd one out is the iPad mini 4. A8 with 2 GB RAM. It will be supported but I suspect it may feel somewhat slow.

Reactions: MarioPhone96

J.Appleseed

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2012
The Netherlands
Perfect for us. I refused to buy the iPad Air and waited for the iPad Air 2, and I refused to buy he iPhone 6 and waited for the iPhone 6s.

I got lucky, too; I have an iPad Air 2 and a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro, I was afraid both of them might not get updated to the latest OS, but I’m barely coming through

Guess it’s time to start saving up for a new iPad and MacBook for next year!

MarioPhone96

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2017
New York
For most of us, there was never any doubt the SE would make the cut. The big question was the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

The odd one out is the iPad mini 4. A8 with 2 GB RAM. It will be supported but I suspect it may feel somewhat slow.
Oh yeah, that’s right. It’s an A8 not an A8X. Hopefully it’s ok on iOS 13. Apple mentioned it has performance improvements like iOS 12 did, but we’ll see.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I suppose the next cutoff will be non-Bionic chips. A9 and A10 are similar in power plus iPad Pro A9X 12.9” has 4GB ram.

Probably be 2-3 years before another cutoff, plus the 7G iPod touch was just launched with A10, I can see a solid few years of A9/A10 support.

Reactions: eric89074

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I suppose the next cutoff will be non-Bionic chips. A9 and A10 are similar in power plus iPad Pro A9X 12.9” has 4GB ram.

Probably be 2-3 years before another cutoff, plus the 7G iPod touch was just launched with A10, I can see a solid few years of A9/A10 support.
Dunno about Bionic but IMO this list of requirements bodes well for future iPadOS updates for my iPad Pro 10.5” with A10X and 4 GB RAM.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Here's my speculation for iOS 13.

Safe: iPad Air 2, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPad mini 4, iPhone SE, and any later devices. These have 2 GB or more of RAM.

Cut: iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad mini 3, iPod Touch 6. These have 1 GB of RAM.

We'll find out for sure soon enough.
Glad I got it right this time. 1 GB wasn't enough RAM for the iPhone 6 even when it was new IMHO.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hard to say - with the new iPod Touch I'd say A10 devies are safe for at least a couple years. A9 I could see going either way. The only thing that A9 is really missing is HEVC/HEIF encode (it does have HEVC/HEIF decode) which could play a factor.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney

It does have a slightly enhanced A8 though than on the iPhones

But yeah it is the odd one out though

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
What a rubbish move by apple regarding the 6th gen iPod touch. They should have upgraded it a year ago. People who bought the 6th gen a week ago get literally no support. All security support goes by September for them.

So much for environment concern. They NEED to split security updates from the main OS so they can at least deliver security to devices they prematurely cut OS support for.
[doublepost=1559593754][/doublepost]
Team RAM wins! 2 GB is the cutoff.

Perfect for us. I refused to buy the iPad Air and waited for the iPad Air 2, and I refused to buy the iPhone 6 and waited for the iPhone 6s.

The reason was specifically because of RAM.

The kids now use our two Air 2s and a family member uses the 6s.

I was told I was a deluded spec obsessed person when I said the iPhone 6 had too little ram... guess I was right! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.