Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwr130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2019
I think it’s widely accepted that Mail in iOS13 is a buggy disaster. There have been many threads about this. I thought I would start a thread to allow people to post problems they encounter all in one place. Apple, please fix this app! I have noticed:

1) old emails reappearing and then being unable to delete
2) new emails appearing at the bottom the inbox
3) needing to drag down on inbox to have new emails appear
4) badge counts incorrect
5) emails not being marked as read
6) difficulty opening attachments
7) when forwarding a message the original message gets cut off

This is just a start! i have tried all the traditional fixes with no luck.

sakurarain

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2018
Shanghai
I have following issues:
> once I open the app, I cannot see any emails, it takes about 5 -10 seconds, then all emails appear
> I read / deleted the email, then quit the app. Several minutes later, these emails reappear as unread.

i tried to reset the account, does not fix; fresh installed the iOS as set the device as new, do not fix.

So the app bothers me now quite a lot. I hate the red dot on app of my home screen. I know I am a little bit obsessive-complusive ??

Reactions: secretk

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I had and still have issues with the Mail app as well. Quite often I just do not receive the new emails. It takes a lot of time to fetch the new data and show me the new emails. Sometimes it just hangs up there and does nothing. I have to force close the app (from the all open apps view) and restart it. Sometimes I to do this numerous times to make it work.

I am quite bothered by this as this is work email and work phone and basically the whole purpose of the work phone is to have the work email accessible.

Reactions: dwr130

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I had and still have issues with the Mail app as well. Quite often I just do not receive the new emails. It takes a lot of time to fetch the new data and show me the new emails. Sometimes it just hangs up there and does nothing. I have to force close the app (from the all open apps view) and restart it. Sometimes I to do this numerous times to make it work.

I am quite bothered by this as this is work email and work phone and basically the whole purpose of the work phone is to have the work email accessible.
Same issues here. I'm using my Note 10+ now, but sometimes I take only my smaller 11 pro with me on the road. There's a certain email that has to hit my phone during that time to update me on my kid's club schedule and for some reason they don't do this via texts. I need this email so I'll know where to meet the club to pick up my kid. I found out the hard way one day about these email bugs. It really sucks to have to deal with these email bugs on an otherwise fantastic new phone.

dwr130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2019
Everyone... please also provide feedback directly to Apple either through the beta feedback app or the feedback website here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/
Thanks for this suggestion. I didn’t know you could do this and submitted my feedback just now. I also want to make sure we collect bugs here as well. There is no centralized place they are being collected.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmac89

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Thanks for this suggestion. I didn’t know you could do this and submitted my feedback just now. I also want to make sure we collect bugs here as well. There is no centralized place they are being collected.

I second this. I had no idea about this option to give feedback as well. I already left feedback when it comes to the Mail app issues I encounter.

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
I’ve noticed (and pretty sure wasn’t like this on previous firmware like ios12, 11, etc) when I open the Mail app, read my emails and delete them, close the app and later when I open the app instead of opening to the list of emails in my inbox, it actually opens to the contents of my latest email.

Reactions: HCO

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014

Yes I understand and agree that this is also a good idea.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
Am I the only one that does not see Mail app listed under iOS Apps? Everything else is there but the one app that’s a major issue you cannot even give feedback about!?

I noticed that too. In the macOS apps section, there is at least an option for macOS to report bugs in apps not directly listed. But there is no such choice for iOS.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Am I the only one that does not see Mail app listed under iOS Apps? Everything else is there but the one app that’s a major issue you cannot even give feedback about!?

It is not just you. As I did not find it under iOS I reported the issue in the category iPhone. I am not saying that it is the correct one, but this is what I came up with.

Reactions: orbital~debris

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
On my 6th gen. iPad running 13.2 b3, I opened Mail, and it randomly displayed an old message from April.

I also noticed that when sending more than one reply in succession to the same email, the thread only displays the latest reply.

I know I’m running a beta, but with Mail being a disaster, I have no doubt it’d happen on 13.1.3.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
I get delayed mail notifications. Sometimes I get no mail notifications until I open the Mail app and the new emails appear. I have Spark downloaded as well and I get mail notifications from it way before the Mail app pushes a notification for the same email through. Sometimes the emails are in different order and the Mail app eventually sorts them correctly.

iOS 13 is a mess.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Now a new problem...fetch is set to 30 minutes (gmail) while exchange and icloud are on push. In the past 36 hours I've not received a single email or notification on my device. Mails AND notifications only appear when I open the mail app. What a joke this release is. No dark mode is worth this crap.

Reactions: thewhitehart

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Apple have only separated 14 apps out for special treatment. Mail isn't one of them, so you're correct to log it as an iPhone bug.

It's almost as if Apple *wants* Mail to be the train wreck that it currently is. I don't actually believe that, but it's hard to see how they mangled it all through the pre-release betas, released it in a mangled state, and have continued not to fix it through four subsequent updates. It completely defies belief, at least my belief.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Mine is working ok-ish in the latest 13.2 beta, apart from notifications. Occasionally, and pretty much 100% for the first lot that come in after the phone has been turned off/on, notifications come in silently.

The Mail app in Catalina is similarly almost-but-not-completely ok. I tried to copy a bunch of emails from one IMAP account to another and it would hang. Activity Doctor shows the copy not progressing but offers absolutely no way of cancelling it. Oddly, the logs of the activity are only visible when you go to Connection Doctor and click Show Detail. That shows Apple Mail not correctly writing the standard IMAP copy command and just repeating the same email over and over again, ignoring errors. One has to delete the internet account and re-add it to stop Mail from attempting the copy.

Opening Outlook on my Macbook and doing the same copy works perfectly.

Basically, and I think this could be a common assessment across all Apple iOS and MacOS apps at the moment, they're focussed on changing the UI and only doing perfunctory testing before rolling out.

I have issues with Photos (looks nice, usually works, can't handle anything complex), Music, Books .....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.