Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
So with the iPhone 7 & 8 Plus having 3GB does this mean the regular 7 & 8 with 2GB won’t be supported when the bigger ones are? Or will they just drop the A10 & A11 processors all together??

Both are a long while away. They’re all guaranteed to at least get iOS 14. And possibly iOS 15 too.
[doublepost=1560491400][/doublepost]
My thought is Apple will keep everything we have this year and support all of them with iOS 14, then, iOS 15, kill all A8X and A9 devices. Too early to say that though.

This is the only wise guy on MR. :)

I agree with him.

However I do feel A8 might be cut off with iOS 14.
[doublepost=1560491504][/doublepost]
So with the iPhone 7 & 8 Plus having 3GB does this mean the regular 7 & 8 with 2GB won’t be supported when the bigger ones are? Or will they just drop the A10 & A11 processors all together??

I do believe it’s possible that A10/A11 are cut off together. But probably very far away. Maybe with iOS 16/17.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
It's mostly age.

The 6 is how old now? Has been end of sale for several years a this point. Apple does not carry hardware forever. Maybe it would have worked, but if apple officially support it they need to deal with any end user headaches that may occur including poor performance, upgrade problems, etc.

This is not a new thing. If you get support for hardware after 3-5 years consider yourself lucky - from any vendor.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
They usually don’t distinguish between Plus and non Plus models.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
But this is the first time there's been a real hardware difference (besides screen) between the two.

Yes. But I feel the A9/A10 will be become outdated before 2 GB RAM is the deciding factor. For 8+ it is possible that 8 might lose support while 8+ is still supported. Perhaps. Won’t look good though.

Reactions: martyjmclean

PortoMavericks

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2016
Gotham City
That’s my biggest fear when Apple moves to ARM in the Mac line.

They have a history of packing the barely minimum of RAM and they almost never introduce new functions with the OS, always hardware dependent.

Like, let’s say this new night mode for photos comes out. You can be sure it’s going to be iPhone 11 only because of something extra that they’re theoretically cooking in A13.

And it’s going to be laughable because Google is already doing it with a goddamn Snapdragon 600 Series.

Reactions: retta283

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
RAM does indeed seem to historically be the greater indicator of whether or not a device would receive an iOS update.

2GB RAM is the new baseline and will continue to be until Apple ceases actively selling iOS devices with 2GB RAM. IIRC, the 2018 9.7 iPad is the only iPad with 2GB... when that goes, it'll be 3GB.

Although ram is certainly playing a role in iOS 13 not being supported on the iphone 6 but is supported on the iPad mini 4, processing power also plays a role.
For example the iPhone 4S had the same ram as the iPhone 4, yet the 4S received two more iOS updates.

The iPhone 5s had the same ram as the iPhone 5/5c yet it received two more iOS updates

So historically we can’t say ram alone is the greater indicator.

Processing power must play a role too

Great news for 6s owners, as iOS 13 beta runs fantastic on 6s so far. (Typing this from my 6s on iOS 13 beta 1)
[doublepost=1560742626][/doublepost]
While the 6 was underpowered for sure, I found iOS 9 to be more functional and efficient than iOS 8...I hated that version and iOS 7 the most...

Oh don’t remind me
iOS 8 was such a terrible buggy mess at launch...I’ll never forget how even landscape mode in safari caused it to freak out. Since iOS 9, iOS overall has been pretty stable (iOS 11 had its hiccups though, but nothing like iOS 8)

Reactions: AmazingTechGeek

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Although ram is certainly playing a role in iOS 13 not being supported on the iphone 6 but is supported on the iPad mini 4, processing power also plays a role.
For example the iPhone 4S had the same ram as the iPhone 4, yet the 4S received two more iOS updates.

The iPhone 5s had the same ram as the iPhone 5/5c yet it received two more iOS updates

So historically we can’t say ram alone is the greater indicator.

Processing power must play a role too

Great news for 6s owners, as iOS 13 beta runs fantastic on 6s so far. (Typing this from my 6s on iOS 13 beta 1)
[doublepost=1560742626][/doublepost]

Oh don’t remind me
iOS 8 was such a terrible buggy mess at launch...I’ll never forget how even landscape mode in safari caused it to freak out. Since iOS 9, iOS overall has been pretty stable (iOS 11 had its hiccups though, but nothing like iOS 8)

Pretty sure everyone knows processor power plays a role ( much more than RAM since OS Requirements largely in the past was based on which A series chip received updates)

Just this update is the first where RAM plays much More of a role though considering that 2GB is the minimum now

And 5s got more updates than the A6 phones because iOS 11 onwards is purely 64bit only so that part isn’t fair though because the other two phones were 32bit

iOS 8 was similar to Vista, it had bad coding and that’s why the A5 devices performed badly

iOS 11 though reminds me a bit of Windows 8 as to why it failed

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Pretty sure everyone knows processor power plays a role ( much more than RAM since OS Requirements largely in the past was based on which A series chip received updates)

Just this update is the first where RAM plays much More of a role though considering that 2GB is the minimum now

And 5s got more updates than the A6 phones because iOS 11 onwards is purely 64bit only so that part isn’t fair though because the other two phones were 32bit

iOS 8 was similar to Vista, it had bad coding and that’s why the A5 devices performed badly

iOS 11 though reminds me a bit of Windows 8 as to why it failed

64 bit support played a big role yes, but again, ties into the A7 just being a more capable chip. Performing 64 bit function is an enhancement and was not thought possible in a mobile chip at the time. I'm sure if iOS 11 allowed 32 bit support it would have run OK on the A6 devices. perhaps had any A7 devices had 2gb of ram they may also had received iOS 13.

If you follow the conversation thread there, I was simply offering a point to the poster I replied to: historically it's not just ram, given the devices that have received more support. This is the first time we can see ram being a clear cut off point, where I suggested it was not a clear cutoff point before. I don't really see any evidence to the contrary.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
64 bit support played a big role yes, but again, ties into the A7 just being a more capable chip. Performing 64 bit function is an enhancement and was not thought possible in a mobile chip at the time. I'm sure if iOS 11 allowed 32 bit support it would have run OK on the A6 devices. perhaps had any A7 devices had 2gb of ram they may also had received iOS 13.

If you follow the conversation thread there, I was simply offering a point to the poster I replied to: historically it's not just ram, given the devices that have received more support. This is the first time we can see ram being a clear cut off point, where I suggested it was not a clear cutoff point before. I don't really see any evidence to the contrary.
I believe iOS 6 dropped the original iPad and iOS 7 the 4th gen iPod touch due to RAM as well.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Stupidity here...So at launch you knew the cutoff point for iPhone 6? I don’t think even Apple knew iOS 12 will be last iOS on iPhone 6 at launch. 2014 iPhone 6 was not free and people still bought it knowing it’s 1gb ram. Don’t act like you know the future.

In 2014 many people were questioning how far Apple could take 1GB RAM, I remember I owned a iPad 4 which I got in 2012 on its launch, and in 2014 I began noticing Safari dropping/reloading tabs a lot, and I was utterly surprised Apple put 1GB RAM in the iPhone 6 Plus, many expected 2GB RAM.

The iPhone 6 Plus coming with 1GB RAM in 2014 is like if the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X had come with 2GB RAM in 2017, would have made no sense, IMO.

It was a hot topic in 2014:
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/16/iphone-6-plus-1gb-ram/
https://m.gsmarena.com/both_iphone_6_and_6_plus_have_just_1gb_of_ram-news-9674.php

It goes without saying, it is impressive how far the iPhone 6/6Plus got in terms of updates, competing devices like the Galaxy Note 4 stopped being updated at least 2 years ago and have been forgotten about, the fact that the iPhone 6 range got updates right up to 2019 is incredibly good and give me confidence that I can settle with my iPhone XS Max for a few years to come until I REALLY need to upgrade, I’ll just get myself a new iPad next year to replace my iPad Air 2.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
from a "conspiracy lurks behind every issue" perspective, the iPhone 6/+ was killed off not because of its 1GB of RAM, it's because there's millions & millions of people still using one. Apple has to entice with more pressure all these tens of millions of old iPhone 6 users to buy a new iPhone. So they dropped the axe starting with iOS 13.

But who cares?

Sure I'd like to run ios13 some day if it's fast and not bug ridden. But I'm sure as heck not going to spend $1000 on a new phone for the exerience. I'd really appreciate a dark mode & improved Notes & newer Safari, but I'm holding fast to my iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 9 until the phone no longer works anymore. Wonder how long it'll last...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
from a "conspiracy lurks behind every issue" perspective, the iPhone 6/+ was killed off not because of its 1GB of RAM, it's because there's millions & millions of people still using one. Apple has to entice with more pressure all these tens of millions of old iPhone 6 users to buy a new iPhone. So they dropped the axe starting with iOS 13.

But who cares?

Sure I'd like to run ios13 some day if it's fast and not bug ridden. But I'm sure as heck not going to spend $1000 on a new phone for the exerience. I'd really appreciate a dark mode & improved Notes & newer Safari, but I'm holding fast to my iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 9 until the phone no longer works anymore. Wonder how long it'll last...
If you keep replacing the battery, it might work for 8 years or even longer. Who knows.

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
I believe iOS 6 dropped the original iPad and iOS 7 the 4th gen iPod touch due to RAM as well.

With the iPad it was more than just RAM though RAM was largely why. It couldn’t handle iOS 5 well and that huge screen resolution combined with how many pixels it had to handle constrained it’s RAM. It should of have had 512MB at least. Not even the 1ghz A4 was enough

the 3GS Survived despite having similar specs because of its tiny screen, tiny resolution and way less pixels for the phone to handle

with the touch 4G it was because of RAM,

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

But who cares?

I get what you’re saying but which Android device are you going to get which is supported for 5 years?

The entitlement is kind of a joke. Apple should support 8 models in different sizes? Okay

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney

64bit is far more than an enhancement though imo

I agree though that the A6 devices would run well on iOS 11 because they ran iOS 10 fine itself

I don’t know if the A7 chip itself supports 2GB of RAM though

Well this isn’t the first OS that RAM is a clear cutoff though considering iOS 7 dropped 2 devices which both had 256MB RAM and the minimum for that OS was 512MB

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
My guess is that ipados has different requirement than ios, so the cpu and memory are not directly related between the two os’es.
I also believe that this wont have any impact on future releases when it comes to iphone 7/8 & plus variants and 2/3 gb mix.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
It’s planned obsolescence. They want you to buy a new iPhone every year. iPad sales are terrible. They don’t want to risk planned obsolescence on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.