Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cscottrun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Considering this bug has been replicated by 2 different users at this point (2 different reddit posts), it is very concerning. Thanks for posting this thread...I would not have known about this issue otherwise.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Sure, it’s a bug. But no useful credit information is leaked. So what is the threat—that you might discover the name and address of a random person? You can’t do anything with just the last four digits of a credit card number. I can go to any post office and dig through the trash to get names and addresses.

Last edited:

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Sure, it’s a bug. But no useful credit information is leaked. So what is the threat—that you might discover the name and address of a random person? You can’t do anything with just the last four digits of a credit card number. I can go to any post office and dig through the trash to get names and addresses.
You can't be serious.... Yeah it doesn't show a whole lot of information but it's information that should never been shown. If this wasn't Apple but someone like Visa you and most people would be going nuts about the lack of privacy controls. You think there isnt anything you can do with the information shown but that's only due to the lack of knowledge you have on the subject. You would be amazed at what you could possibly access with that information if you really wanted too

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Quite useful in phishing scams actually. The point is its a <matching> name and last four digits. Send it to a large enough group of people with that name and initial, chances are you will get quite a few matches of the last four digits on a card they have, some will think you therefore have the full number and...

Never assume just because you can't think it would be useful, it won't be to someone who thinks differently.

Reactions: derekamoss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.