Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stormbeast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2020
I just updated to iOS 14.3 on my iPhone 7 and I cannot seem to find the promised Fitness app anywhere. Anyone else missing the new Fitness app?

stormbeast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2020
I don’t have an Activity app on my iPhone. There’s the Health app. I think you are confusing it with pre-release version of 14.3

Last edited:

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Where are you? It isn't launching in every country.
USA, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand and the UK for the moment.

jmaeser

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2016
I just updated to iOS 14.3 on my iPhone 7 and I cannot seem to find the promised Fitness app anywhere. Anyone else missing the new Fitness app?
This happened on my wife’s iPhone 12 also. App is totally gone. If we try to download it from the app store, install and/or open are missing. My iPhone 12 is fine.

I’m reading this is a new bug people are reporting on the iPad, it seems it’s also affecting some iPhones also.

I’ll probably do a fresh reload of iOS 14.3 for the wife’s phone which I imagine will fix the issue.

Link to article I read: https://9to5mac.com/2020/12/14/apple-fitness-plus-ipad-error/amp/

gren81

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
On my iPhone X with iOS 14.3 in iOS, the former “Activities” app was renamed to be the “Fitness” app.

Within the Fitness app, the default screen is the “Activity” tab. To the right of the “Activity” tab, I see the Fitness + tab.

If it matters, I have the Fitness + subscription active.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It seems that it would be something available if you also have a supported Apple Watch:

Tommo66

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
Don't need a supported watch on iPhone or iPad works fine without a Watch if you have a subscription. Apple TV does need a compatible watch though. OP, had you previously removed that Activity/Fitness app ?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The Fitness app only appears on the iPhone after it's been connected with an Apple Watch. I think you have to manually download the app in order to access it if you don't have an Apple Watch.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don't need a supported watch on iPhone or iPad works fine without a Watch if you have a subscription. Apple TV does need a compatible watch though. OP, had you previously removed that Activity/Fitness app ?
Trying to find Apple's Fitness app in the App Store on an iPhone 7 without an Apple Watch involved gives a message "This app requires specific features not available on this device" without the option to download/install it.
The Fitness app only appears on the iPhone after it's been connected with an Apple Watch. I think you have to manually download the app in order to access it if you don't have an Apple Watch.

Interestingly, it seems that the compatibility section there also mentions "Requires iOS 11.0 and watchOS 2.2 or later.", which kind of implies that both might be needed.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Trying to find Apple's Fitness app in the App Store on an iPhone 7 without an Apple Watch involved gives a message "This app requires specific features not available on this device" without the option to download/install it.
Interestingly, it seems that the compatibility section there also mentions "Requires iOS 11.0 and watchOS 2.2 or later.", which kind of implies that both might be needed.
Thats really interesting. I wonder if it was only able to download to my iPad because my account has an Apple Watch linked to it?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thats really interesting. I wonder if it was only able to download to my iPad because my account has an Apple Watch linked to it?
It seems like that's the case, going by what Apple has on their device support page for Fitness+ at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211924:
Supported devices
You must have an Apple Watch Series 3 or later with watchOS 7.2 to access Apple Fitness+ on the following devices. Make sure that you're signed in with your correct Apple ID and that Bluetooth is enabled on all devices

stormbeast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2020
I don’t have an Apple Watch connected. So, I can’t use the Fitness app without a connected Watch? Some people are saying that they can subscribe to Fitness+ without a Watch. It would make sense that I should be able to workout without a Watch.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don’t have an Apple Watch connected. So, I can’t use the Fitness app without a connected Watch? Some people are saying that they can subscribe to Fitness+ without a Watch. It would make sense that I should be able to workout without a Watch.
Based on all the information that Apple has provided on various Fitness+ pages, and the fact that trying to get the Fitness app in the App Store on iPhone 7 says "This app requires specific features not available on this device", it doesn't seem like it's doable.

Last edited:

stormbeast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2020
Based on all the information that Apple has provided, and the fact that trying to get the Fitness app in the App Store on iPhone 7 says "This app requires specific features not available on this device", it doesn't seem like it's doable.
Thanks, I see the message now.. disappointing..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.