Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is iOS 14.4 running on your iPhone 7 / 7 Plus?

• Runs great! Wouldn't hesitate to update. Battery life good. Keyboard and apps are still snappy.

• Runs a little slower. But at least I get to install the latest apps.

• Terrible. I wish I never updated.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
How is the performance of iOS 14.4 on your iPhone 7 / 7 Plus?

Is the keyboard still responding instantly? Any lag there?

Are the apps still snappy? Any lag?

Is battery life still lasting really well?

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
Trying to find out soon. So I could update to 14.4 before 14.5 comes out. I don't want that one for sure.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
I'm currently on iOS 11 on my 7 plus so it runs 100% smoothly. It's virtually a brand new phone, so currently everything works great.

Trying to gauge how it would be if I went to 14.4.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
I thought more people on this forum would have installed 14.4 on their iPhone 7 plus.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have it on my 7 Plus. Don't see anything negative on it, my phone still performs like when I bought it last year with iOS 13.

It seems that performance issues with iPhones might be related to the battery (ie. Old batteries).

Reactions: Lwii2boo and Hoff

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
I have it on my 7 Plus. Don't see anything negative on it, my phone still performs like when I bought it last year with iOS 13.

It seems that performance issues with iPhones might be related to the battery (ie. Old batteries).
Thanks for that data point. My battery is in good shape so that sounds promising.

se95dah

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2014
Anyone else with 14.4 on iPhone 7 ?

Yep, it runs perfectly on my 7 - fast and smooth as anything. My battery life is definitely noticeably worse than when it was new, but I’m getting 4 - 4.5 hours screen on time (battery health is 86%).

Reactions: Hoff

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
Yep, it runs perfectly on my 7 - fast and smooth as anything. My battery life is definitely noticeably worse than when it was new, but I’m getting 4 - 4.5 hours screen on time (battery health is 86%).
Ok cool. So no lag on the keyboard or apps?

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Just update. There’s no reason not to these days. Especially considering all the security fixes that are included. Staying on such on old version is just putting yourself at risk.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
Just update. There’s no reason not to these days. Especially considering all the security fixes that are included. Staying on such on old version is just putting yourself at risk.
Thanks. Yeah I'm getting closer to doing that.

I've been cautious because I love the 7 and the speed I'm getting on iOS 11.

There is literally no new iPhone I want to buy, so would rather keep the 7 plus on 11 if it means fast phone.

If we could go back to the older iOS (like we really aught to be able to do...) then I'd do it for sure and we'd never have to have these discussions.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Thanks. Yeah I'm getting closer to doing that.

I've been cautious because I love the 7 and the speed I'm getting on iOS 11.

There is literally no new iPhone I want to buy, so would rather keep the 7 plus on 11 if it means fast phone.

If we could go back to the older iOS (like we really aught to be able to do...) then I'd do it for sure and we'd never have to have these discussions.
Check your battery and see if it's still 85% or higher. If it is below that. I would consider replacing the battery first. So far that I've read, iPhone performance issues are related to old batteries. The hardware itself starting with the 6S (performance cores + nVME storage + 2GB RAM), are still capable even today.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
Check your battery and see if it's still 85% or higher. If it is below that. I would consider replacing the battery first. So far that I've read, iPhone performance issues are related to old batteries. The hardware itself starting with the 6S (performance cores + nVME storage + 2GB RAM), are still capable even today.
Which iOS is your 7 Plus on?

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
I can't see the battery %. I'm on iOS 11.1 and that feature came out in 11.3.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I can't see the battery %. I'm on iOS 11.1 and that feature came out in 11.3.
What the ? iOS 11.1 ?? you’re missing out on important security updates, install the latest and greatest ASAP!!! ?

Also missing out on many great features on iOS 14.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

se95dah

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2014
Ok cool. So no lag on the keyboard or apps?

No, none that I’ve noticed. It feels good as new. On some of the earlier versions of iOS 14 I had shocking battery life (less than 3 hours screen on time) but that’s been fixed now. I’ve had it since launch day so am a very happy customer more than 4 years later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.