Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kulfon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Folks, I have installed 14.8 and I am shocked how it started killing my battery. Am I alone?

Reactions: J.J. Sefton

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Just wait till the iOS 15 update, it’s the usual trick to get people to upgrade to the new iPhones temporarily. My iPhone 12 is doing the same but I preordered the iPhone 13 due to the mystery of the starlight color and bigger battery.

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
My 11 pro battery was 79% health the day I upgraded to 14.8. I then got the battery replaced under AppleCare at the Apple store the next day.

Ever since then the phone has been insanely hot only when web-browsing and no apps open. I thought something was wrong with the install somehow.

I hope it is an OS issue easily resolved and not the battery replacement.

JohnnyChuttz

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
I was getting bad battery life and running hot on 14.8 until I gave the phone another reboot. Been fine since.

catean

Suspended
Jun 16, 2013
London, UK
12 mini, huge battery drain after 14.8. 2 hours of MacRumors took 60% of the battery today.

Last edited:

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2015
My 11 pro battery was 79% health the day I upgraded to 14.8. I then got the battery replaced under AppleCare at the Apple store the next day.

Ever since then the phone has been insanely hot only when web-browsing and no apps open. I thought something was wrong with the install somehow.

Look into apple indexing. Something about when changes are made to the OS it takes a couple days to read and go through every file on the phone causing it to drain the battery a lot for a couple days.

mad for getting hit on websites. Macrumors is the worst and there’s something about ad language that makes the phone heat like crazy. I’m wondering if there’s some level of crypto mining going on like with other websites you go to. It’s no joke.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Sharkeman

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
Is it just me or are some of you giving a lot of hope to the first iteration of
ios 15?

Last edited:
Reactions: Populus

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Look into apple indexing. Something about when changes are made to the OS it takes a couple days to read and go through every file on the phone causing it to drain the battery a lot for a couple days.

mad for getting hit on websites. Macrumors is the worst and there’s something about ad language that makes the phone heat like crazy. I’m wondering if there’s some level of crypto mining going on like with other websites you go to. It’s no joke.
I found that using DuckDuckGo solved my heat problem with MR. When I used safari to phone would heat up like crazy after only a few minutes

Reactions: adam1080

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
The same phone and the same issue on this new iOS update. Absolutely horrible! I’ve rebooted my phone with no difference whatsoever.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
For those having battery life draining, have you tried the basic troubleshootings?

- reboot the phone. In the end, this thing is a computer, and like a regular computer, there’s always a chance a process went haywire.
- use as-blockers and prevent Safari from pre-loading webpages. When there’s a tracker or site hanging, it can trigger safari to work harder than it should, wasting battery
- reset network settings. I don’t know why, but sometimes the carrier setting has something screwy, bugging out the wireless chips and can potentially drain battery. I’ve done this to solve unrelated issues even
- check any apps you were running. See if some of them accessing things like location in the background. That can drain battery.
- if your battery is already at 80% life or lower, don’t expect much. Once a lithium battery reaches that, it can be erratic at times. Best to just replace the battery. Cannot cheat chemistry just yet.

If you think a website (eg MR) is the culprit, then use as blockers. Try different browsers like Brave or DuckDuckGo.

iOS 14.7 and 14.8 have been quite good on my iPhone 7+. Its standby time becomes quite impressive for me.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010

My phone is getting hot and battery is draining very quickly with safari now too.

Reactions: xxray and Jxdawg

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
XS Max. Phone is getting hot a lot, battery draining very quickly. I’m at 50% with only 1.5 hours of SOT, and I’m mostly just in Safari when I’m on my phone.

It’s been ever since I upgraded to 14.8. I don’t want to downgrade since it was a major security update though.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
XS Max. Phone is getting hot a lot, battery draining very quickly. I’m at 50% with only 1.5 hours of SOT, and I’m mostly just in Safari when I’m on my phone.

It’s been ever since I upgraded to 14.8. I don’t want to downgrade since it was a major security update though.
They should pay more attention to the performance and efficiency of the system before releasing updates.

Also, there is no way to know what’s going on, on an iOS device, if it gets hot. On a mac you can always take a look at activity monitor and report it to Apple, but on iOS only they can know what’s causing problems.

Apple engineers, if you’re reading this, please test your builds better, on all the devices. Please.

Reactions: xxray

peterpayne

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2017
They should pay more attention to the performance and efficiency of the system before releasing updates.

Also, there is no way to know what’s going on, on an iOS device, if it gets hot. On a mac you can always take a look at activity monitor and report it to Apple, but on iOS only they can know what’s causing problems.

Apple engineers, if you’re reading this, please test your builds better, on all the devices. Please.
Truth is, and we all know that, they don't care about older devices. The new iOS versions are always optimized for the latest ones. It's part of the plan to get you to update your phone.

It's sad but also quite obvious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.