Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
Filed the bug already, searched developer forums and was surprised to learn this has been happening for a lot of people.

When searching Google for images or gif’s then clicking on any of them Safari crashes. It’s the oddest thing. I receive a grey safari page with a message that there was an error loading the page. I have reset network settings, turned on and off various Safari options, etc yet it persists. This only began happening with the latest developer beta on my iPhone 11 Pro.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Update: it just happened after posting this thread. Attached image.

Attachments

• C3B1CF20-66E0-4682-A3B5-F168CD5DA9FD.jpeg
    C3B1CF20-66E0-4682-A3B5-F168CD5DA9FD.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 417

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
Works as intended here. Have you cleared the Safari cache? Force quit Safari?

After doing some more research I found a lot of random resolutions. For many, if they're using an iPhone Smart Battery Case, for some reason removing it then putting it back on resolves Safari crashing. Very random. I wonder what the causal correlation may be as I would have never thought of such a resolution.

As I don't use an Apple iPhone Smart Battery Case that wasn't a solution. After more research a lot of people found Javascript in Beta 5 to be the issue, which it was in my case. Once I turned off Javascript, Safari stopped crashing. Not the best solution but hopefully Apple addresses it as a LOT of developers and public beta testers are experiencing Safari crashing with Beta 5.

Thanks for the help! Greatly appreciate it.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
My issue with Safari not loading and sometimes thinks I'm off line not connected to internet.
WiFi 6 + 5Ghz along with Airplane Mode. Latest AdGuard Pro (thought that might be related to fixing issue).
Engineering is asking for more feedback and testing. Trying to find if VPN or adblocking, wifi 2.4 or 5.0.
Yes javascript off should help - all those pesky ads - but I do quite well with it off with most web sites.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Came here to add my name to the list of those with JavaScript / Safari crashing on beta 5. Tried just about everything with content blockers, VPN, clearing all data, etc... but JavaScript was the culprit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.