Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Is there some app that will show me an icon (near the battery indicator) indicating silent mode is active? I can't believe Apple still don't have such an obvious and simple to implement feature after all these years. It should have been in place from the moment they started using the physical silent toggle switch.

If this is about preventing cluttering, then how come the DND icon finds a place? Surely, anyone can go into control centre and check the status of DND. I don't want to be checking the status of the toggle switch every now and then.

I have also been noticing weird inconsistencies with iOS these past few years. With DND on incoming iMessage texts and outgoing ones make the phone beep. Really? It doesn't happen with other apps, and in general the idea of DND is that the phone user does not want to be disturbed with the phone making noises.

With iOS 14 and the changes to how you set alarms, did anyone notice that the hours and seconds indicator of the timer is weirdly indented? But not the minutes indicator. The inconsistency is just jarring.

Thoughts?

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Wrong forum, but I'd much rather have a physical mute switch any day of the week over another icon on the home screen. Why would you have to be checking the status of the switch every now and then? If its on silent then flip it on, if off then flip it on. Literally takes no time and can be done without looking at the phone. You'd prefer having to turn your phone screen on and then looking to see if the icon was there? I wouldn't and would hate that. Your complaint here doesn't make much sense to me.

DND is so that you aren't disturbed by anything incoming. It doesn't apply to a message sent if you have the sound turned on because you are using the phone. It isn't a silent switch for everything outgoing.

I also think your complaint on the hours and seconds is very odd. The indention is uniform on both sides. Why would the minutes be indented? Its in the middle of the two and perfectly centered. Again, this doens't make much sense to me either.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I can manage to look at the switch to figure out how it’s set in the rare case of me forgetting what I do. I have no desire for another icon stating the obvious.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is there some app that will show me an icon (near the battery indicator) indicating silent mode is active? I can't believe Apple still don't have such an obvious and simple to implement feature after all these years. It should have been in place from the moment they started using the physical silent toggle switch.
Apple has basically always relied on the physical switch for that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have also been noticing weird inconsistencies with iOS these past few years. With DND on incoming iMessage texts and outgoing ones make the phone beep. Really? It doesn't happen with other apps, and in general the idea of DND is that the phone user does not want to be disturbed with the phone making noises.
DND isn't there to silence all sounds -- as that is basically more related to the silent switch on the side -- but to control incoming notifications and essentially hide/silence those. In terms of incoming notifications for messages, those shouldn't be making sounds with DND enabled unless you perhaps have Emergency Bypass enabled for a contact (which overrides DND and even silent switch settings).

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Sure, I agree. I quite like the physical silent button myself and use it as needed. I was saying I want the display to show some indication of the mode the phone is in.
I thought it would be easy to just flip the switch as needed, but over the years I've come to feel the issue needs addressing. having to turn the phone around to check the position of that tiny switch is simply cumbersome. I tried it and didn't like doing that. Surely, it's not too much to ask that there be an on-screen indication showing the phone's mode.
I also notice that the display indicates when auto-rotate is off. Surely, that's extraneous, and the space could more usefully be used to indicate if the phone is silent or set to ring.
About DND--I'll just have to toggle the silent switch to keep the phone silent. Except, the timer and alarm still ring. The weird thing is you can set the alarm to vibrate, but the timer will only ring!
The clock/alarm is now more inconsistent. These indents weren't there before. The alarm can be set by keying in the numbers, but not the timer--why?
Then you can also set the alarm by flipping through the digits (like with the timer) but this is kind of hidden. Again, why?
It all gives the feel that there is no one overseeing how well it all gels together. I hope it all gets better and more consistent.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.