Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spksys

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2021
No crash for me either since i stopped changing the wallpapers often but i do get close to it sometimes. Usually when I have just one app open and it refreshes after i take a photo, i know i am very close so i restart it, takes around 6 days though. iOS 14.4 brought a lot of micro stuttering to my 11 Pro Max but it did not fix this issue.

fb1909

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2020
After months of not having changed the wallpaper and not having a single camera crash (last crash was mid November) I changed it several times the last two days and guess what. It crashed a few mins ago...

Last edited:

spksys

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2021
Should be pretty clear by now that this is the cause. At least we managed to find it and now we know how to avoid it until they fix it, if they ever will. For what it's worth, I had an iphone 7 laying around and did the same things to it over the course of a week. It gradually slows down untill the camera crashes, interestingly enough other apps crash too on it alongside the camera.

Manneman32

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2021
Sweden
I can confirm the wallpaper-theory. Had no crashes at all but started to change after reading this... camera crashes. After reboot everything works again. Repeated the action... lots of wp-changes and camera fc.
Apple should hear about this!!!

Raddou

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2021
Hi everyone! I am so stoked to have found the is thread! I have been having the same camera issues since IOS 14, with the added issue of Reddit crashing after scrolling for 5-10 minutes, and the phone randomly lagging. I had automations in place to change the wallpaper every 3 hours, so 8 times a day. Removed them and guess what? Reddit works seamlessly, and no more camera crashes either. No more problems whatsoever. So thank you guys! I wanted to throw my phone at the wall on several occasions, and now it’s back to its old self. Using an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

spksys

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2021
Hi everyone! I am so stoked to have found the is thread! I have been having the same camera issues since IOS 14, with the added issue of Reddit crashing after scrolling for 5-10 minutes, and the phone randomly lagging. I had automations in place to change the wallpaper every 3 hours, so 8 times a day. Removed them and guess what? Reddit works seamlessly, and no more camera crashes either. No more problems whatsoever. So thank you guys! I wanted to throw my phone at the wall on several occasions, and now it’s back to its old self. Using an iPhone 11 Pro Max.
Glad it worked for you! We're pretty much stuck with this issue for now. I got into the habbit of restarting my phone after a few wallpaper changes. Annoying..but it is what it is. At least we all chipped in here and we found a workaround lol, those that won't search for this thread will probably end up thinking this is a hardware issue.
Thanks for replying and letting us know.

macmania2.3

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
GUYS , NOW THAT IOS 14.5 IS RELEASED .... DID THIS UPDATE SOLVE THE ISSUE WITH WALLPAPER CHANGING AND CAMERA FREEZ ..... ???? DID ANYBODY try to test it after the IOS 14.5 update ... ???

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
I tried to test it with ios 14.5.1 .... Did Not Face the issue so far ...
Glad that it’s fixed for you — I’ve just experienced a crash yesterday on 14.6 beta 2. I have my wallpaper change itself roughly 20 times a day with an automation.

liewht

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2017
I tried on 14.5.1
3 wall paper changes per day
My phone crashed too.

just curious, anyone tried on iPadOS? To see if it exhibits the same behaviour of crashing

CodySyd

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2021
Just came off a decade or so of using Android onto my first iPhone and am missing the incredible flexibility of Tasker. I thought I found at least one piece of useful customisation by using Shortcuts to change wallpaper, only to discover Shortcuts can't be set to repeat. Sigh... so I set up a half-hourly wallpaper change by creating 48 shortcuts.. After about 3 days the camera won't work in any application. Unimpressive. I tried going back to my Pixel but missed everything else I do like so I'm back to the iPhone and have to pick one wallpaper I like, and will just moan about it :)

lbdesign

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
I last changed my wallpaper on my previous phone, never on this phone, and yet my camera crashes as described. Has anyone found a permanent solution unrelated to avoiding wallpaper settings? Has the latest OS fixed it?

atom888

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
I have had the same problem for sometime as well. I have an Iphone 8 on IOs 14.8 with 64 GB of RAM and 55.2 GB free ( there is still nearly 10 GB of RAM free for the iOS to use). I have 8.11 GB of storage in "Photos", which makes me wonder if you have to have a bit more than the amount of GB RAM free as you do in photos to avoid the crashing? i.e. if you have 5 GB of photos and only 4 GB of RAM free, then you might experience the issue until you have more RAM available? Just a thought.

I do NOT switch wallpapers at all but I do use Dark Mode. One thing I have noticed is that when I get a large # of pictures in my album (like 3,000+) that it starts crashing. If I delete pictures and go down to about 2,500 or less then the issue seems to go away.

This leads me to believe that the cause of this, is has been suspected, poor memory performance (RAM). I'm a Sr. Software Engineer with 20+ years of experience (not much in iOS though).

However, when I switched from "Dark Mode" to "Light Mode" under: Settings | Display & Brightness" it seemed to crash less often.

Reactions: lbdesign

lbdesign

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
Something else to contribute: If I'm on bluetooth, or on a call with bluetooth when I try to take a picture, the bluetooth connection fails, and the camera app fails.
Could bluetooth connections be a contributing factor, or are they just collateral damage?

mvan231

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2017
Rochester, MI
Something else to contribute: If I'm on bluetooth, or on a call with bluetooth when I try to take a picture, the bluetooth connection fails, and the camera app fails.
Could bluetooth connections be a contributing factor, or are they just collateral damage?
I noticed the same thing actually but mine was just a call while on speaker. Happened twice before I realized that taking a photo was ending my call.
So glad to have found this thread! Thanks guys!

Reactions: lbdesign

sunand777

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2021
I have same issue on my iphone 12 running on 15.1 stable, restart solves temporarily, is it related with wallpaper change? i have using lots of wall paper changer shortcuts with automation..now i am disabling all for checking this issue coming again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.