Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NaneK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
Hi everyone, I recently updated my iPhone to iOS 14. From that moment until today, it often happens to me that the phone does not respond to swiping through the homescreen. At first it seemed to me that it was because of my finger, however today I was convinced that the phone really does not respond. I had to swipe 2-3 times to switch to another page of the homescreen. It has never happened before, only after the iOS 14 update. Anyone have experience with this?

TLDR - phone lags after ios 14 update when swiping on homescreen.

P.S. the phone is not damaged, it is physically fine.

tgdbowler

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
I noticed this a few times after upgrading to iOS 14. It's not a common occurrence by any means, but every once in a while I have to swipe a few times before my phone registers the touch.

Reactions: NaneK

NaneK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
Exactly. Is it possible to fix it or report it somewhere (but for someone to really read it)?

tgdbowler

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
So I've been playing around with this and this may not be an issue, at least for me, after all. I tend to swipe with my thumb at the bottom of my phone screen. I've noticed that you can't swipe over the page dots. You can certainly use those dots to jump to a different page quickly, but a swipe does not work. Anywhere else on the screen, my swipes are registered as expected.

Reactions: aenflex and NaneK

NaneK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020

Thanks man.

So I've been playing around with this and this may not be an issue, at least for me, after all. I tend to swipe with my thumb at the bottom of my phone screen. I've noticed that you can't swipe over the page dots. You can certainly use those dots to jump to a different page quickly, but a swipe does not work. Anywhere else on the screen, my swipes are registered as expected.

Yap, you are right. Many thanks for this, I use my phone the same way and usually I swipe over those dots and they were the problem. I didn't figured it out. I guess I have to adjust not to swipe over them. I sent Apple a request to make swiping over them possible, cuz currently this makes no sense to me. Thank you very much, I was already thinking of reseting the phone, but you saved me from doing that. Just a bad design IMO.

Reactions: C DM

madara889

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2015
Hi everyone, I recently updated my iPhone to iOS 14. From that moment until today, it often happens to me that the phone does not respond to swiping through the homescreen. At first it seemed to me that it was because of my finger, however today I was convinced that the phone really does not respond. I had to swipe 2-3 times to switch to another page of the homescreen. It has never happened before, only after the iOS 14 update. Anyone have experience with this?

TLDR - phone lags after ios 14 update when swiping on homescreen.

P.S. the phone is not damaged, it is physically fine.

What is your phone

tgdbowler

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
Thanks man.

Yap, you are right. Many thanks for this, I use my phone the same way and usually I swipe over those dots and they were the problem. I didn't figured it out. I guess I have to adjust not to swipe over them. I sent Apple a request to make swiping over them possible, cuz currently this makes no sense to me. Thank you very much, I was already thinking of reseting the phone, but you saved me from doing that. Just a bad design IMO.
No problem. Glad it wasn't a bigger issue for both of us.

Reactions: NaneK

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
I’m noticing this very often on iPadOS 14.0.1 lately, regardless of app. Lags when tapping and swiping. Happens with or without the screen protector. I forget when I updated to 14.0.1 but believe this lagginess started days or weeks after updating to 14.0.1. But it happens noticeably often lately, 3-4x a day. Cleaned my screen too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.