Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Dredd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
My SE 1st is on ios13 and the 7 is on 14.2...
Don't wish to update them any further as i fear they ll become slow and the battery backup would take a hit.
What's your view???

I am using them both in New Delhi with volte and LTE based GSM carrier.
Thanks

iPhonNick

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2019
Netherlands
I can't speak for the 7, since I don't have an iPhone 7. But I can speak for the SE 1st gen. I'm running iOS 14 on my SE since beta 7 and it is great. Performance is better, compared to iOS 13 and battery life is very good on my side. My SE still has the original battery that is almost 5 years old and, for the most time, I'm ending the day with 70+ % of battery life left. Battery health is about 85%, according to coconut Battery. The phone itself shows 87% with peak performance enabled.

Reactions: Lord Dredd

Lord Dredd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
I can't speak for the 7, since I don't have an iPhone 7. But I can speak for the SE 1st gen. I'm running iOS 14 on my SE since beta 7 and it is great. Performance is better, compared to iOS 13 and battery life is very good on my side. My SE still has the original battery that is almost 5 years old and, for the most time, I'm ending the day with 70+ % of battery life left. Battery health is about 85%, according to coconut Battery. The phone itself shows 87% with peak performance enabled.
That's encouraging indeed
Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: iPhonNick

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
They run fine, but even if they didn’t, it’s either upgrade or replace the hardware, as it’s not safe running old software that’s connected to the internet. You should be updating the first chance you get, any time there’s an update.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
IOS 13 was buggy as hell, not sure why you'd pick that version of iOS to stay on. iOS 12 was much less buggy than iOS 13 and iOS 14 has had only a few minor bugs in my experience.. I went straight from 12 to 14 skipping 13 completely and I'm satisfied with it's performance (on my backup 6S)..

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
My SE 1st is on ios13 and the 7 is on 14.2...
Don't wish to update them any further as i fear they ll become slow and the battery backup would take a hit.
What's your view???

I am using them both in New Delhi with volte and LTE based GSM carrier.
Thanks
Funny that I’m also running the same iPhones, with original batteries as well. Anyway they are not slow at all. But the battery drain is another thing. The SE runs 14.1 and has no battery problems. The 7 runs 14.3 and at first the could drain from 100% down to 0% overnight while idle. I had to reset it twice, also turn it off and on a couple of times. After that it started behaving better and now the battery lasts about 50 hours (with light use.)

Lord Dredd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
Well i am gonna update the 7 tonight. Will take the call for the SE this weekend.

BTW Merry Christmas to all
Stay safe
Wear masks plz

Lord Dredd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
Bumping this up just to let you guys know that despite a persistent urge to update my SE just to see how it performs , I haven't given into th temptation
My SE is still on iOS 13 and performs very very well .

Reactions: madrich

Lord Dredd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
Hey all
Bumping this once more, now that ios 15.2 is doing rounds for both ip7 and ipSE ( first gen) thought of troubling you guys again for opinions.
Incidentally i am still using them both along with a lg g8x thinq.
Wanted to ask if it's worth updating the 7 to 15. My SE is happy with ios 13 and am not gonna update that.

Would appreciate any feedback/suggestions regarding the 7

Thanks and Happy Holidays

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Still some headaches w iOS 15. Why not wait until .4 ?(or later). There really isn’t a special feature in iOS 15 that makes it worth the trouble yet.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Hey all
Bumping this once more, now that ios 15.2 is doing rounds for both ip7 and ipSE ( first gen) thought of troubling you guys again for opinions.
Incidentally i am still using them both along with a lg g8x thinq.
Wanted to ask if it's worth updating the 7 to 15. My SE is happy with ios 13 and am not gonna update that.

Would appreciate any feedback/suggestions regarding the 7

Thanks and Happy Holidays

You'd better not be using these online like that. You're vulnerable to countless flaws. It's not really safe to wait a day on updates, much less YEARS.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I have an iPhone 6s on iOS 13.4 which when disconnecting the charger while it is between 1 to 100% battery it restarts or shuts down completely and thinking that it could be software related, I updated it to iOS 15.3 Developer Beta 1 and unfortunately nothing changed... It is a hardware issue... Regarding the performance, I have used it for about 2 hours and so far I think it is as close as possible if it was on iOS 14.8.1

If you are into jailbreaking, staying on an older version is a must... Also, performance of iPhone 6s on iOS 13.x is better than on iOS 15.x but if I can downgrade it to iOS 12.4.1 I would...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.