Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Does anyone else have severe low quality videos/Live Photo when sending with iMessage? The video on my iPhone X is crystal clear but when ever I send it, it gets obliterated to super low quality. This occurred throughout iOS 14 beta and persists in the final. I did a factory reset, set up as new, with no luck..

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Does anyone else have severe low quality videos/Live Photo when sending with iMessage? The video on my iPhone X is crystal clear but when ever I send it, it gets obliterated to super low quality. This occurred throughout iOS 14 beta and persists in the final. I did a factory reset, set up as new, with no luck..
Someone sent me a short video recently via their iPhone to mine using iMessages. It was low quality, I blamed my beta ios14 at the time lol. Still persist.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
I've seen this happen in the past if a non-iOS device was a recipient, or one of the recipients. I think SMS scales videos and photos down.

Is it possible this is happening for you?

Reactions: ignatius345

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
There is a low resolution image setting for iMessage. Maybe the sender has that turned on and it applies to videos? I’m not sure, just a thought.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
It’s not SMS, it’s with iMessage. Also low quality option is disabled. I contacted Apple today. They are looking into it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Claymor

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
It’s not SMS, it’s with iMessage. Also low quality option is disabled. I contacted Apple today. They are looking into it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue, have you been able to solve that ?
[automerge]1600682452[/automerge]

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
Hi,

I have exactly the same issue, have you been able to solve that ?
[automerge]1600682452[/automerge]
I spoke with Apple support and I should hear back from them today to see what they think or will do. I have not been able to resolve it. I looked back and it started during ios13 but it seems to have been getting worse and worse. I find it completely unacceptable as some videos are so blocky it looks like 1999. It happens on WiFi as well so I think it’s Apple. It seems like they for some reason have cranked up the compression even though there is no strain on the system , covid or not. I would love for the media to pick this up because it’s affecting everyone.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
I spoke with Apple and unfortunately I don’t have anything new to share. They took more data and samples and will get back to me this week. The tech did say he saw my videos and admitted they look to be overly compressed. I’ll update when I hear back.

Claymor

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
Very weird situation
i hope in the worst case they'll at least solve that in ios14.1 with the release of the new iphone
i'll wait for your update ?

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
I upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro and I still have the same issue. Im wondering if it’s a Verizon issue in NYC. My friend who lives in California has a 11 Pro Max. He’s able to send me a 4K/60 3 second video. The file size is around 15mb. I send him a 4K/60 3 second video and he receives a file at the size of 1.6mb! Huge difference. It happens over WiFi, LTE, 5G on numerous devices. I wonder if Verizon purposely compresses data that leaves the area. Ive tried using a VPN on either side, it did not help.

Last edited:

KevinC

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2008
Cochise County, AZ
I have the problem too. Settings are correct, iMessage-only recipient(s), and various types of attachments (gifs, jpgs, etc) wind up getting shrunken, like George Costanza after a dip in a cold lake. Sounds like it must be a bug based on previous responses. Bumping this thread to the top and hoping we see some sort of fix or workaround.

Reactions: upandown

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
This is a known bug. By rough estimates, it affects A HUGE number (imagine >20-30%) iOS devices. There is no known cure.

Reactions: upandown

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro and I still have the same issue. Im wondering if it’s a Verizon issue in NYC. My friend who lives in California has a 11 Pro Max. He’s able to send me a 4K/60 3 second video. The file size is around 15mb. I send him a 4K/60 3 second video and he receives a file at the size of 1.6mb! Huge difference. It happens over WiFi, LTE, 5G on numerous devices. I wonder if Verizon purposely compresses data that leaves the area. Ive tried using a VPN on either side, it did not help.
Unrelated to Verizon. Verizon doesn't dictate iMessage. This is an iOS issue.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
This is a known bug. By rough estimates, it affects A HUGE number (imagine >20-30%) iOS devices. There is no known cure.
Thank you for chiming in. Yes I’ve been checking the video file sizes from people all around the states that get sent to me. Most of the time they are overly compressed but every so often it’s not.

This has been happening at least since iOS13, device doesn’t make a difference either.

Where else have you seen this reported? I haven’t found any other information on it. I have spent quite a few hours on the telephone with Apple Support. Sending them all sorts of videos in different configurations. The resolution is, well, no guarantees.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you for chiming in. Yes I’ve been checking the video file sizes from people all around the states that get sent to me. Most of the time they are overly compressed but every so often it’s not.

This has been happening at least since iOS13, device doesn’t make a difference either.

Where else have you seen this reported? I haven’t found any other information on it. I have spent quite a few hours on the telephone with Apple Support. Sending them all sorts of videos in different configurations. The resolution is, well, no guarantees.
Personal experience, friends and family. Affects nearly half or at least quite a number of people.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I am not sure but I don't think this is limited to just iOS 14 seems the same on iOS 13? - I think some phones are compressing the audio and video files before sending as SMS or imessages

lostin64d

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
I have been having the same problem - it was happening with an 11 Pro Max and now with a 12 Pro Max - here are the two known scenarios where I've seen it: 1) I am in a group chat with multiple types of iPhones and one Android phone on different carriers (the most recent video came from an iPhone 8 Plus on T-Mobile - very low res) - and I've sent from my 12 Pro Max to the group and had the same results - they receive low res video. I don't have the option on to send lower resolution video/images and full sized versions are on my device. Has anyone else had any luck?

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I’ve only had this occur when sending/receiving video to or from an android device. Since androids cannot send via iMessage, the message is sent via MMS which is over the carriers and gets heavily compressed down to the 1-1.5mb file size.
Most androids can send to each other via the Advanced messaging protocol now which resolved this issue on android as it allows for larger file sizes, delivery receipts and near live typing indicator similar to that seen in iMessage. Apple has not allowed this protocol to interface with iMessages yet so anything sent to/from and android will get compressed (unless you use a 3rd party app that sends media over a data connection)

Reactions: mikzn

upandown

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2017
I’ve only had this occur when sending/receiving video to or from an android device. Since androids cannot send via iMessage, the message is sent via MMS which is over the carriers and gets heavily compressed down to the 1-1.5mb file size.
Most androids can send to each other via the Advanced messaging protocol now which resolved this issue on android as it allows for larger file sizes, delivery receipts and near live typing indicator similar to that seen in iMessage. Apple has not allowed this protocol to interface with iMessages yet so anything sent to/from and android will get compressed (unless you use a 3rd party app that sends media over a data connection)
This thread is about an issue with iMessage.

dwtd

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
Anyone had any luck figuring this out? My girlfriend and I are on iOS 14.3 (gf has iPhone 11 Pro, I have iPhone 12 Pro Max). When she sends me images in Messages, even when we're both in the house and on wifi, the images sometimes get shrunk as soon as they leave her phone (I say when "they leave her phone" because my MacBook Pro and iPad Pro both receive the smaller versions of the images as well).

I also just noticed that on her phone, a test image we're using starts out as a 28KB jpeg, but lands on my devices as a 4KB HEIC. Seems like this could point to where the problem lies. HEIC is capable of storing images at higher quality and fewer bytes, but perhaps there is a bug in the conversion process that only manifests from time to time. Would be nice if there were any way to disable this conversion, if even just temporarily...

pepsiduke

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2021
I’m having the same issue on iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 14.3 video thumbnail ting quality poor. Hope the 14.4 fix tomorrow will solve it !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.