Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonnenhund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2020
Switzerland
We were driving home last night, using iOS 14 Maps for the first time (on CarPlay with the wife's iPhone 8).

There was a noticeable lag between the location where Maps said we were and where we _really_ were. Our position displayed on the map was probably 250 meters behind our current actual position, and this was while going 50 kilometers per hour (about 30 MPH).

This is always a little tricky, but Maps in iOS 13 was nowhere near as inaccurate as this.

Dissecta

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Edinburgh, UK
I had issues like this yesterday.

I was heading up to St Andrews and I knew a "better" route. CarPlay totally lost it, had us going backwards, took minutes to update.

Then driving through to Glasgow to my partner's using it to send her an ETA, again it just stuck and had a turn off I knew was coming up in less than a mile as 2.8 miles away... It never caught up and in the end CarPlay crashed.

In fact, the first time I used it last week it crashed before completing the journey.

This was on iPhone XS via CarPlay on G30 BMW 3 series using the public release of iOS14.

Reactions: sonnenhund

sonnenhund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2020
Switzerland
Our experience wasn't anywhere near as bad as that, but was bad enough that we missed some important turns and ended up taking much longer than we should have.

And these issues seem to be iOS14 related, as this didn't happen in iOS13.

Dissecta

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Edinburgh, UK
Not sure, didn’t have as many issues before.

Came over to Glasgow tonight and it crashed again.

it just stops updatinag and then crashes out.

pretty much crashed every single time I have used it.

I’ve rebooted and downloaded the new update so let’s see what happens when I head back on Saturda.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
We were driving home last night, using iOS 14 Maps for the first time (on CarPlay with the wife's iPhone 8).

There was a noticeable lag between the location where Maps said we were and where we _really_ were. Our position displayed on the map was probably 250 meters behind our current actual position, and this was while going 50 kilometers per hour (about 30 MPH).

This is always a little tricky, but Maps in iOS 13 was nowhere near as inaccurate as this.
This happened to me but with Google Maps, not Apple Maps.

sonnenhund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2020
Switzerland
I’ve rebooted and downloaded the new update so let’s see what happens when I head back on Saturda.

Good luck, I'd be interested to see what happens.

This happened to me but with Google Maps, not Apple Maps.

Interesting, it could be something going on with the GPS/cellular location stuff the OS itself does, not the navigation apps themselves...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.