Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
Right after the 15.7.6 update I noticed my battery draining way, way faster than previously. Yeah I waited 3-4 days for it to "settle down." It now takes something like 5-6 hours for it to reach 1% remaining... and this is WITHOUT USING IT AT ALL. I've never, ever seen it below maybe 40% in the past (and I do not use it near as heavily as other do, I very rarely take to make calls on it, I use it for emergencies and listening to music). Battery health is at 94%. Right now, it says that it's 1 hour since full charge and is at 88%. Without touching it, in about 4-5 hours it will be at 1%. Battery use by app tends to always show "Home & Lock Screen" as using the biggest use (65-75%). Not sure what to do, am looking for solutions (although I am convinced the only solution is for Apple to fix the issue).

Now it MAY be the OS is reading battery wrong. I only say this because while at 1% I can get past the lockscreen and do things like bring up Settings to check the battery setting. I would have thought at 1% I couldn't even dismiss the lock screen.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Now it MAY be the OS is reading battery wrong. I only say this because while at 1% I can get past the lockscreen and do things like bring up Settings to check the battery setting. I would have thought at 1% I couldn't even dismiss the lock screen.
I had this problem with 14.5, I think it was. To test it, I ran at 1% for well over a day, with very little use, obvs. Subsequently, I regard the battery usage stats as a guide rather than information.

That said, I never suffered battery drain at the rate you are experiencing.

The frustration, as always, is that Apple don't provide any tools – or even information – to assist with diagnosis, so all you can do is randomly switch things off and on again, and hope for the best.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Right after the 15.7.6 update I noticed my battery draining way, way faster than previously. Yeah I waited 3-4 days for it to "settle down." It now takes something like 5-6 hours for it to reach 1% remaining... and this is WITHOUT USING IT AT ALL. I've never, ever seen it below maybe 40% in the past (and I do not use it near as heavily as other do, I very rarely take to make calls on it, I use it for emergencies and listening to music). Battery health is at 94%. Right now, it says that it's 1 hour since full charge and is at 88%. Without touching it, in about 4-5 hours it will be at 1%. Battery use by app tends to always show "Home & Lock Screen" as using the biggest use (65-75%). Not sure what to do, am looking for solutions (although I am convinced the only solution is for Apple to fix the issue).

I had similar problem since i upgraded to iOS 15, after light usage it was on 1%, then i continue using the phone the all day without any issues… so i guessed it was OS battery reading problem. But since i updated to 15.7.5, the problem is gone, and my aging OG SE working perfectly.

If its still possible, try downgrade to 15.7.5, and hopefully it will fix your problem.

tarekulislam

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2023
If the battery-draining issue is still present, there is undoubtedly a hardware issue with the iPhone. In this situation, you must take your iPhone to an expert mechanic or Apple-authorized service provider.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've had a similar issue in the past. What I did was - starting at a "red" charge level - fully quit all apps, then shut down the phone. Once it had powered off, I plugged it into the charger (which boots it back up) and let it charge all the way back up to full.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
Well, after living for a week to 10 days where it hit 1% battery charge 8-10 hours after coming off the charger, NOW 12-16 hours later it's in the 80% range. Speaks to the quality of the OS when it takes a week to 10 days to regain normal battery functioning.

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
I kept my old iOS devices on 15.7.1 (iPhone 6s, Apple Watch 8.7.1 which is based on iOS 15, etc). Even my 2022 iPhone SE is still on iOS 15.

In my opinion 15.7.1 was the last version that could be trusted, as it was made available to all devices before iOS 16 was forced onto newer devices that could run it. After that point, Apple may not be testing the old OS thoroughly and they have no incentive to make the OS run well on old devices; this is because they want you to upgrade.

I discussed this here:

IMG_1208.jpeg

samarkanguri

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2023
I had the same issue with my iPhone7. I had installed a brand new battery and still had the problem. Battery drained to 1% in 4-5hrs in Airplane mode, no usage whatsoever. Battery usage states “Home Screen” app.

Glad to say issue has been fixed with the most recent iOS 15.7.9!!
Wishing that helps /works for you folks too!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.