Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaz134

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
Ive just updated to iOS 16.2. It appears that the same problem that occurred with iOS 15.4 now occurs, where every other song played on Apple Music on a live album or Gapless mix inserts a half second gap between every other song.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Any fixes likely this side of Christmas?

Reactions: applemuffin

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I didn't notice but I have wondered when apple music on the iPhone will have crossfade playback like there is on the desktop

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Doesn't seem good. Haven't tried it yet, but the problem in 15.4 was highly annoying.

Is it happening on both AM and purchased tracks?

Apple better fix quick, particularly if they are about to launch a dedicated classical music app.

applemuffin

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022
Is it happening on your iPhone? I am having this issue on my HomePods.
I updated my HomePod OG and Mini to 16.2 yesterday. I have a custom white noise playing on repeat on HomePod Mini from Apple Music last night. I notice there’s a 0.5 second gap in between repeats. Upon closer inspection, the first repeat is gapless. However, the second repeat has a gap. So basically the first, third, fifth, and so on repeats are gapless, but there’s a 0.5 second gap in the second, fourth, sixth (even number) repeat. I was able to replicate it in the morning on the OG HomePod.
Here’s a link to a reddit post, so anyone can follow the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomePod/comments/zlpcxs Already filed a Feedback with Apple.
If you haven’t submitted yet, here’s the link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Last edited:

Kaz134

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
Doesn't seem good. Haven't tried it yet, but the problem in 15.4 was highly annoying.

Is it happening on both AM and purchased tracks?

Apple better fix quick, particularly if they are about to launch a dedicated classical music app.
Happening on downloaded tracks and music ripped through iTunes from CD. Very annoying. Hopefully the bug will be fixed in the near future!

Kaz134

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2022
Is it happening on your iPhone? I am having this issue on my HomePods.
I updated my HomePod OG and Mini to 16.2 yesterday. I have a custom white noise playing on repeat on HomePod Mini from Apple Music last night. I notice there’s a 0.5 second gap in between repeats. Upon closer inspection, the first repeat is gapless. However, the second repeat has a gap. So basically the first, third, fifth, and so on repeats are gapless, but there’s a 0.5 second gap in the second, fourth, sixth (even number) repeat. I was able to replicate it in the morning on the OG HomePod.
Here’s a link to a reddit post, so anyone can follow the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomePod/comments/zlpcxs
Yes. Every other track. Highly irritating!

Reactions: applemuffin

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Yes the gapless playback bug is back! You would think Apple would have this sorted out by now.

I can't believe they will launch a classical music app with added gaps!

Reactions: Kaz134 and ian87w

emh623

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2022
I am glad that I am not the only one experiencing this. It happened as soon as I updated my iPhone XS to 16.2 and it happens on Bluetooth, with the Apple headphones, and with just the speaker. Hope a fix is coming soon.

drakula

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2021
I just came here to start this same thread. I can confirm gapless playback is broken. I've tried on both albums from Apple Music downloaded to my iPhone as well as albums that were uploaded to Apple Music (official live concert recordings). Has anyone tried the beta of 16.3 to see if it still persists?

drakula

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2021
I've gone ahead and created a ticket over at: https://www.apple.com/feedback/ I filed it under "Apple Music" and just eating how gapless playback is broken. But I imagine the more tickets they get from people stating the issue the more likely it will to be fixed.

Reactions: Loge

NichoMarpaunk

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
Apple as usual lol.. This bug does not exist in 16.2 beta 3, and the official 16.2 release have the bug..

Then whats the point of "Beta"...

drakula

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2021
I don't understand how this is even removed?? Like it's been a part of music playback since I remember Steve Jobs announcing that it would be part of an update to the iPod. So how does it just fall off every now and then. I remember this happening in the 13.0 release too.

Reactions: s2mike

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Gapless playback was added to iPods in September 2006, so we can be forgiven for thinking this is a solved problem.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
For what it’s worth, turning off Dolby Atmos has gotten gapless playback to work properly for me.

Obviously it’s not a solution, but could act as a temporary workaround until Apple fixes the issue.

drakula

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2021
Same with me. And I've tried listening to gapless albums in apple music with dolby turned off and it still contains gaps for me.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Well damn.

Hopefully iOS 16.2.1 comes soon with a ton of bug fixes (yeah right)

drakula

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2021
My friend just installed the release candidate for 16.3 last night and listened to a Jack White concert, 4 songs in a row and played flawlessly. Can anyone else confirm?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.