Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I disagree. A good backup solution is available 24/7 and accessible from anywhere in the world. If I need access to data, I need access.

What you describe here is a file sever, not a backup solution, but that is OK, some people have different definitions, like calling a keyboard a computer.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Correct… I stated in my original post, I don’t do backups. I save data in multiple places.

Neighbor lady P&Ms about her iPad, does another backup, resets iPad, restores from backup, continues to P&M.

I don’t get it…

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Correct… I stated in my original post, I don’t do backups. I save data in multiple places.

Neighbor lady P&Ms about her iPad, does another backup, resets iPad, restores from backup, continues to P&M.

I don’t get it…

I totally get it. A term 'backup' can mean hundred different things, whoever you ask. Doing multiple copies is better than nothing, but keep it in mind that because the data is accessible on those different mediums, that also means, it is available to crooks, viruses and exposed to malware which can quickly quickly spreading corruptions across all these different mediums as there is nothing to stop that.

The moment a file at main location gets corrupted, that corrupted state will replicate to all your other locations, leaving you with a corrupted file across all.

A backup solution is something that happens on a schedule, and rotates and has a retention period, let's say 30-60 days. that way if you encounter a corrupted files after a week or so, you can easily go back to a backup from 7 days before and restore that file. At high level, this is how enterprise backup solutions typically work, but there are also tons of other options to cover very specific or niche scenarios.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
If you will recall when Apple pushed out the "Books" app it disabled their addition to iTunes, at least that is how is worked on my PC. The only thing I use the Books app for it loading advanced copies of the books of authors I support on Patreon. I have Audible, and Kindle. Plus in one of my HDD's in storage I have 35,000 ebooks in various formats. I have never had much use for this file because right now it is unsearchable. I have the 2TB level in iCloud. I was looking at the setting for iCloud. There is a tab to enable storage optimisation its description says it deletes already viewed media files.

• Wow
Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.