Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

9Benua

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Just finished iOS16.4 update, open podcast, it deletes some of my saved old podcast episodes which I haven't listened yet. Urrgh. Fortunately I have them saved on my macbook. It's synching them again right now. Hopefully, it will not delete them again on my iphone.

WTF, I'm listening to my podcast and it doesn't go to the next episodes. Check it. All my downloaded podcasts are GONE. Urrgh.

Reactions: Big_D

9Benua

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Still not fixed. Urrgh. It was fine for 2-3 hours and then all the downloaded podcast are GONE, AGAIN.

pdanmacr

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2023
I'm having the same issue. On with Apple support who've transferred me 3x and no one is the "right" person to assist.

MacRalf

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
The Netherlands
Haven't discovered that I'm missing any downloaded podcasts. But I noticed that downloaded and listened podcasts are not deleted since iOS 16.4. In the iOS settings I have the slider "delete played downloads" on. Before iOS 16.4 the downloaded episodes I listened to were deleted after 24 hours, but with iOS 16.4 not anymore.

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
Haven't discovered that I'm missing any downloaded podcasts. But I noticed that downloaded and listened podcasts are not deleted since iOS 16.4. In the iOS settings I have the slider "delete played downloads" on. Before iOS 16.4 the downloaded episodes I listened to were deleted after 24 hours, but with iOS 16.4 not anymore.
The podcasts not being deleted automatically after 24 hours is the only issue I'm dealing with also ever since updating to 16.4. Only way to get them to delete is to force close the app and open it again.

Its also happening on my iMac running Ventura 13.3

MacRalf

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
The Netherlands
The podcasts not being deleted automatically after 24 hours is the only issue I'm dealing with also ever since updating to 16.4. Only way to get them to delete is to force close the app and open it again.

Its also happening on my iMac running Ventura 13.3
Thanks!
Force closing and re-opening the Podcast app immediately deleted the downloads older than 24 hours.
I hope it's a process I have to do once and that future downloads will be deleted automatically after 24 hours.

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
Thanks!
Force closing and re-opening the Podcast app immediately deleted the downloads older than 24 hours.
I hope it's a process I have to do once and that future downloads will be deleted automatically after 24 hours.
Unfortunately you have to keep doing it. Looks like a bug in iOS 16.4.

9Benua

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I have to downgrade mine to 16.3.1 just because of this podcast issue. It seems some are lucky not to have this issue.

Luca@MR

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2023
As long as Podcasts app running all the downloaded episodes are save. Closed the app will delete them.
Definitely a bug in iOS 16.4.

Big_D

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2021
Germany
I’ve not had the deleting problem, although I am up to date with my podcasts.

But, when one podcast is finished, it just stops playing and no longer starts on the next podcast, I have to manually start the next podcast, which is a real pain when walking the dog or riding the bike.

Der Bär

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2023
Is anyone on the 16.5 beta tracking this thread? I would love to know if it's addressed.
For this reason, I have been testing the 16.5 beta for a few hours and even after closing the podcast app several times, the error no longer occurred.
But I'll give you feedback tomorrow.

Reactions: 9Benua

Yog

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
Anchorage, AK - USA
I’ve not had the deleting problem, although I am up to date with my podcasts.

But, when one podcast is finished, it just stops playing and no longer starts on the next podcast, I have to manually start the next podcast, which is a real pain when walking the dog or riding the bike.
This MIGHT be solved easily. Go to settings, then podcasts. About half way down, there's a button called "continuous playback". Have you tried this button? Perhaps it will solve your podcast issue.

Big_D

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2021
Germany
This MIGHT be solved easily. Go to settings, then podcasts. About half way down, there's a button called "continuous playback". Have you tried this button? Perhaps it will solve your podcast issue.
That was one of the first things I checked, it was still set. I did deactivate it and reactivate it, but it made no difference.

I guess, I'll have to wait for the next update...

Der Bär

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2023
Since the day before yesterday, all podcast problems have been fixed with the 16.5 Public Beta 3 and the synchronization with Itunes is much faster.

Reactions: 9Benua

9Benua

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
iOS 16.5 has been released. Does it fix this issue? I'm still on 16.3.1

MacRalf

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
The Netherlands
iOS 16.5 has been released. Does it fix this issue? I'm still on 16.3.1
Since Thursday May 18 I'm on iOS 16.5 but unfortunately I'm still having the issue that listened podcasts are not automatically deleted after 24 hours. I have to force close the podcast app when I want to get rid of the downloaded podcast episodes I already listened to.

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
Since Thursday May 18 I'm on iOS 16.5 but unfortunately I'm still having the issue that listened podcasts are not automatically deleted after 24 hours. I have to force close the podcast app when I want to get rid of the downloaded podcast episodes I already listened to.

Thanks for the update. Looks like I'll be sticking with overcast.

MacRalf

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
The Netherlands
Any update on whether iOS 16.6 fixes the podcast issue where downloads don't automatically get deleted after 24 hours?
Yes, I've got an update. Still no good news. I still have to force close the app to get rid of my downloaded podcasts I already listened to.
My hope is for iOS 17. I don't run the betas, maybe somebody who is running a beta can give us his/her experiences.

learjet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2021
The after-24-hour-deletion-bug still persists in iOS 17.1.1! Unbelievable. Has anyone of you tried deleting the Podcasts app and reinstalling (also re-downloading the episodes), which, I’ve read somewhere, could potentially fix the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.