Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neurophysicist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Dagobah
Hello,
I upgraded to iOS 16.4 last night. One thing I noticed is that while I’ve always had Siri/spotlight suggestions disabled, they have been showing up since I upgraded.

For example:
- in Settings -> Safari -> Siri & Search, the only item I have turned on is Show App In Search. However, if I make a search query it will show Safari history:

1680444093755.png

There are various other examples: searching will show FaceTime call history in search; or Google Map results. This is despite all these apps having all options unchecked in Siri & Suggestions (with the exception of Show App in Search:

1680444220608.png

For Google Maps I was able to press a Clear shortcuts button in the app itself which eliminated Google Maps results, but it is odd any Siri/search results appear in the first place since I have not changed my settings since upgrading to iOS 16.4.

Is anyone else having this issue after upgrading to iOS 16.4?

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
second this. Also notice Apple apps such as suggestions, photos, calendar, facetime, etc. such up in search even if disabled.

How can Apple break something as simple as this?

Reactions: neurophysicist

neurophysicist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Dagobah
These re-enabled themselves for me when I installed 16.4, but I was able to turn them off again.
Interesting; do you mean the toggles for Show Content in Search turned themselves on, and you had to manually turn them off?

Strangely for me; the toggles are (and have been) off, but I’m still getting all these search results.

neurophysicist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Dagobah
Did anyone else ever have this resolved? I'm on 16.7.1 and still have the same issue (it seems to have intermittently improved in the past with toggling the settings; but now it's still as bad as before). I can't really search for anything without being bombarded with Siri suggestions.

I haven't upgraded yet to iOS 17 because I usually stick it out longer until major updates have been around a bit longer, but if people aren't having this issue in iOS 17, I may take the plung

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.