Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adp-20

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
Has anyone else experienced an extreme slowing down of mobile network after updating to ios 16.5.1? I have two old iPhones, 8 plus and 11 pro, which both are now extremely slow, especially with mobile internet connection, right after updating to 16.5.1.
It can take up to 15-20 seconds, even half a minute, to connect. This is certainly an issue with ios 16.5.1 because it started after the update on both phones.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I haven't tried 16.5.1 on a 11 pro, but most of the other devices that support 16.5.1 and cannot say I have experienced this. Did you update them yesterday and maybe got the rapid response update on them? That seem to have caused some problem and have now been pulled.

I think you could try and update the carrier settings too, might help.
Otherwise give your cellular provider a buzz, if its a common problem with their network and this iOS version they should have heard of it by now.

adp-20

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
I haven't tried 16.5.1 on a 11 pro, but most of the other devices that support 16.5.1 and cannot say I have experienced this. Did you update them yesterday and maybe got the rapid response update on them? That seem to have caused some problem and have now been pulled.

I think you could try and update the carrier settings too, might help.
Otherwise give your cellular provider a buzz, if its a common problem with their network and this iOS version they should have heard of it by now.
I updated the 11 pro already in May and 8 plus this morning. I have tried to reset network settings too, doesn't help. The problem is not caused by operator, but the ios update.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I updated the 11 pro already in May and 8 plus this morning. I have tried to reset network settings too, doesn't help. The problem is not caused by operator, but the ios update.
Try and update your carrier settings.

Reactions: Slartibart

adp-20

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
Thank you for your advice but none of these solved the problem. I suppose all I can do is hope that some upcoming update will fix this?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Thank you for your advice but none of these solved the problem. I suppose all I can do is hope that some upcoming update will fix this?
If its related to the update.

Do you have any other apps on both devices that can have an effect on internet connectivity?

Apps such as VPN/proxy software, anti malware software or anything else that can, together with the update, cause these issues?

The reason for the above questions are that I haven't heard that 16.5.1 has caused any of these issues.
I manage around 1500 devices and at the moment 1150 are on 16.5.1 and there is a mix of devices.
I don't have many of the models you use, but a good few with similar hardware.

Not saying it isn't 16.5.1 causing your problems, but more if it could be other things together with 16.5.1 that might cause it.
If that's the case, then an update in the future might not fix it.

You say extreme slowing down, is it only on cellular or can you see it on WiFi too?
Is it just connecting to the network that's slow or do you find the speed slow too when connected?

aj8690

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Columbus, OH, USA
I have also been having network slowness and connectivity issues (cellular and WiFi) since 16.5.1 on my 14PM. Have a hard time getting anything to load in a urban area with at&t midband 5G. Reset network settings and removed VPN profiles which did not help.

Reactions: adp-20

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I’m seeing this issue as well. I‘m also not getting iCloud email notifications in the Mail app. only when I open the app do new mail messages appear. Account is set to Push. Worked fine before.

Both Happening on an iPhone and iPad.

adp-20

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
So I updated to iOS 16.6 today and the problem seems to persist.
Often when the screen wakes, the network is "stuck" and when it finally connects, the connection works until the screen goes off again.

Last edited:
Reactions: notgonna

notgonna

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2018
Moved to iOS 16.6 Help.

iPhone 12 mini updated to iOS 16.6. Apple Watch 7 to Watch OS 9.6. I cannot ping my iPhone using the Apple Watch ping icon in the Watch's Control Center.
- Bluetooth working and shows connected to same network (reset to be certain).
- WiFi reset
- Airplane mode throttled on/off.
- iPhone Reset Network Settings.
- Followed AppleCare instruction.
- Watch's private networks tracking turned off. No difference.

Any ideas?

I don't know if this was working just prior to the updates.

adp-20

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
This problem is not going anywhere, I guess this is the price for using an old iPhone. It is a well known fact that Apple deliberately f*cks up old iphones. I'm certainly getting an Android phone next.

• Haha
Reactions: xpxp2002

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
  • Reset settings. Update manually carrier settings.
  • Turn off icloud private relay.
  • Turn off private wi-fi address.
  • Configure DNS manually - 1.1.1.2.
  • Configure proxy to OFF.
  • Turn off/deinstall any VPN (depending on the VPN it might be necessary to temporarily reinstall).
  • Turn off any Safari extension.
  • Turn on airplane mode.
  • Restart.
  • While airplane mode is on, activate Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
  • Check the internet connection using Safari.
continue to cellular:

• Again: make sure that your carrier settings are update.
  • Deactivate airplane mode.
  • Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
  • Restart.
  • Make sure Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are off.
  • Check that icloud private relay is turned off; check that the DNS is set to e.g. 1.1.1.2; Safari extensions are still turned off; any VPN is off/deinstalled; proxy is off.

loopy123

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2018
This problem is not going anywhere, I guess this is the price for using an old iPhone. It is a well known fact that Apple deliberately f*cks up old iphones. I'm certainly getting an Android phone next.
That's just total rubbish, sorry. Don't blame Apple. I have access to both an iPhone 8 and an iPhone 11 and 16.5.1 caused no issues at all. Just functioned identically to prior to the update. Apple does an impressive job of supporting older model phones. I've kept all my old phones until they basically died due to hardware issues from hard use, not software update problems.

Reactions: xpxp2002

adp-20

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
It's even worse now after ios 16.6.1, every update since 16.5 has made the problem worse. When I unlock the screen, no mobile connection for a whole minute, sometimes it won't connect at all.
I found a similar description here :
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254397466 except that with my iPhones, it started after ios 16.5.
This is making my iPhone useless.

Last edited:

adp-20

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2020
  • Reset settings. Update manually carrier settings.
  • Turn off icloud private relay.
  • Turn off private wi-fi address.
  • Configure DNS manually - 1.1.1.2.
  • Configure proxy to OFF.
  • Turn off/deinstall any VPN (depending on the VPN it might be necessary to temporarily reinstall).
  • Turn off any Safari extension.
  • Turn on airplane mode.
  • Restart.
  • While airplane mode is on, activate Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
continue to cellular:

• Again: make sure that your carrier settings are update.
  • Deactivate airplane mode.
  • Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
  • Restart.
  • Make sure Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are off.
  • Check that icloud private relay is turned off; check that the DNS is set to e.g. 1.1.1.2; Safari extensions are still turned off; any VPN is off/deinstalled; proxy is off.
I have tried almost all of these, but my carrier doesn't provide any updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.