Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi

I figured I’d create a new thread for more extensive questions regarding migrating from iOS to Android since these questions have not been answered in detail before and I pray that others that have migrated before scan lend some advice answers etc to help both myself and others.

Corning from iPhone 12 mini running iOS 16.5.1c

I’m heavily into iOS as a primary and only device so I’m looking at a. Very seamless transition to the following devices:

Google Pixel 4a/5 - possibly initially.

Samsung Galaxy Flip 5

Samsung Galaxy Note 20

Samsung Galaxy 21 FE

So I have the following questions and inquiries.

What app or service do I use on iOS that’ll help with the transition from iOS to Android OS, that is best recommended? I already have an existing google account but I’m not using the one I’ve previously used to test Android OS many times before (Android 4/5/6/8).

What happens to iOS Safari Bookmarks and Favourites, especially open tabs?! Will thaw properly migrate over to my pre-existing google account?!

What happens to Microsoft Edge (iOS) favourites and bookmarks and open tabs? What about Firefox tabs and sync’s favourites used on my iPhone?

Samsung Tab S8 or S8 Ultra or s9/S9 Ultra:

When transitioning from iOS will the same data be available from my iPhone 2 mini to AndroidOS be sermones to a Galaxy Tab S8/S8 Ultra/S9 Ultra be the same!?

iOS passwords - the Keychain!

What will happen to passwords within iOS keychain will they correctly and seamlessly transition over to AndroidOS via my existing Google Account that has yet to be used on an Android phone?

This is a HIGE critical situation. I’m not convinced online password solutions (with apps) are the best way to go since they can be bought and policies are frail readily to change based on new management!

Can I begin the transition and migration over BEFORE and WITHOUT having an Android phone?! Like can I use an app or web service that properly works and saves a de to my Google account so that I can sell my iPhone 12 mini and in day 5 days migrate to an Android phone?!???

AndroidOS Applications:

Prior to Android 10 I noticed a HUGE discrepancy in Android OS apps where some would work with Galaxy devices yet not Sony devices despite the RAM, internal Storage, and most importantly chipset requirements being equal! Especially with LG Nexus vs LG LTE phones that used the same motherboard chipset but had LTE enabled from the factory’s but theNexus 4 did not. Is this still an issue where apps are made for specific devices but NOT a competitions device where the chipset and all specs ARE the same???

What happens to applications that are iOS unique and unavailable for AndroidOS? Is there a prompt with a screen of recommendations that shows up during migration?

Right now Mathemagics for iOS is NOT available for AndroidOS and options are NOT even close to wit the same. This is a HUGE issue for me as I’m trying to elevate myself.

From all the YouTube videos I’ve seen - really good ones - why is Samsung Dex on the Galaxy Tabs not support being an external Dex screen+KB for say a Galaxy S22/23/Flip5/22 or 23 Ultra?! I figure it would be a Smart move by Samsung to take out competing portable touch screens by kG etc or Dex-dock pseudo laptops that act as huge batteries and touch screens and keyboards for a Samsung Dex compatible Galaxy phone. So what gives?

Call Logs and Contacts:

I’m presuming contacts will transition over into any other AndroidOS device especially Samsung Galaxy devices but will the call logs also transition including the correct historic date and time and length of the calls? I ask this since the last 3yrs smartphone año longer que Sry nor save such information tot he SIM card. Any info?

Calendar appointments and Reminders (especially iOS Email Notify):

Will calendar appointments recurring events with their respective information especially reminders and secondary reminders based on travel time also migrate over?!

iOS Notes!

I have a LOT of iOS notes, specifically separated into categories many with web links or pictures attached? Will these seamlessly transition over to Samsung Galaxy devices? What app will these go into!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.