Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
thats not a thing, volume up, down and holding power button doesnt do anything

nvm you press quickly not hold it down.

either way im on another cycle and battery life has not improved. i may just downgrade to ios 15.7

SORRY WHAT!!! it is totally a thing šŸ˜†šŸ˜‚

your pressing the buttons, volume up, volume down and holding the power button. thought that quite obvious.

Sleepinlight

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2021
The "Find My" thing is strange, seems it only randomly affects certain devices. I have one person and five Apple devices connected to it, and "Find My" doesn't even register in my battery usage unless I actually open the app and use it.

Anecdotally, the Find My drain almost appears to be a periodic thing, as if Apple has an "on-call" rotation for consumers to balance out the battery burden of the Find My network.

It seems like once every couple months, I'll have a week or so where Find My is just eating a disproportionately large amount of battery, and then it'll return back to an unnoticeable level. And it never seems to correlate with anything I'm doing differently with my routine or my devices/location.

pinkkie

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2022
>iphone needs days to settle after an update

This is the dumbest copypasta to the battery drain problems ever yet I always see it in every thread.. no, your phone doesn't need to "settle", whatever that means, it indexes some files which takes half an hour max, then it operates as normal. The problem is in the garbage *.0 updates that are optimized only to the latest hardware, Apple then irons it out in later versions.

Reactions: decypher44

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
>iphone needs days to settle after an update

This is the dumbest copypasta to the battery drain problems ever yet I always see it in every thread.. no, your phone doesn't need to "settle", whatever that means, it indexes some files which takes half an hour max, then it operates as normal. The problem is in the garbage *.0 updates that are optimized only to the latest hardware, Apple then irons it out in later versions.

Funny how battery drain issues tend to go away for most people day two or three after a software upgrade. Itā€™s happened to me multiple times and I see it happen a lot on the betas forums.

You might be right, that your phone indexes that quickly but thatā€™s depending on the model and size, but you really canā€™t accurately call battery drain issues in the first 24hrs. Iā€™m saying that with experience and having been there, seen it, got the T-shirt since iOS 11 a number of times. šŸ‘šŸ¼

Reactions: Samdh90

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
Funny how battery drain issues tend to go away for most people day two or three after a software upgrade. Itā€™s happened to me multiple times and I see it happen a lot on the betas forums.

You might be right, that your phone indexes that quickly but thatā€™s depending on the model and size, but you really canā€™t accurately call battery drain issues in the first 24hrs. Iā€™m saying that with experience and having been there, seen it, got the T-shirt since iOS 11 a number of times. šŸ‘šŸ¼
Well. Itā€™s been 3 days and nothing. At 8:00 I had 25%, now at 9:22 itā€™s on 1% iPhone 13 Pro here. What makes it clear itā€™s an os issue is that the phone is hot.

carriebeary

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2020
Why is nobody talking about this?

Running on a 13 Pro and I'm getting noticeable battery drain compared to iOS 15.6.1. Anyone else having the same issue? Can't imagine the battery drain on older phones.

I had to recharge mid way through the day (I don't allow my phone to dip below 30% to keep battery health in tip top shape). FYI my battery health is at 99%. And yes, this is iOS 16 production (non beta)
Yes mine drained way faster on IOS 16 as well

Reactions: decypher44

DeadKlau5

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2016
Pretty good so far, would say it is even better than on iOS 15.6.1. iPhone 13 Pro (RC installed since release)
a647c8d284b60d00e9862b069b80954b.png

Reactions: delsoul

carriebeary

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2020
On my 11 Pro, I was noticing a lot more battery being sucked down, and checked the background apps. I could swear that several apps I had switched not to use background data are now using background data. I flipped them all back, and that improved things. I also find that battery saver mode is helping tremendously. In fact, I have to wonder if battery saver mode might be better than the previous generation?

The other issue Iā€™m having is that Wi-Fi is very slow to connect and doesnā€™t seem to like my school Wi-Fi or my carrierā€™s free Wi-Fi hotspots, but seems to connect at home mostly OK ā€” but slower.
I also noticed that with the Wifi. We were at the airport and my hubbys Iphone 12 connected no problem but mine kept stopping during there "watch this add to connect" ad

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
how it started (iOS 15, 13 pro) 9+ hrs battery life
DD74F00C-4000-48C3-A0E3-DAC112D4883F.jpeg

how its going (iOS 16). much worst battery life
1663255111073.jpeg

Attachments

• 92EF4749-80CE-49CD-9E17-9E9CF7E7C1F8.jpeg
    92EF4749-80CE-49CD-9E17-9E9CF7E7C1F8.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: addamas and delsoul

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
Well. Itā€™s been 3 days and nothing. At 8:00 I had 25%, now at 9:22 itā€™s on 1% iPhone 13 Pro here. What makes it clear itā€™s an os issue is that the phone is hot.

Have you tried any steps to rectify?
Hard restarts or reinstalling the iOS (do an encrypted back up and then restore, if you donā€™t have access to IPSW files) Encrypted back up keeps all your banking apps still working after the restore is finished.

Looks like a glitchy iOS install, can happen with OTAs or Iā€™d try offloading and reinstalling your top 3 most used apps before the restore.

Nothings perfect when you install software, some isolated cases like yours, can happen.

antonrg

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2019
Paris
Thank you all for feedback. I try to check on others before updating my main phone. I've installed it on my older iPhone 8 and it's been a complete disaster with battery life. Total battery drain. My iPhone 13 mini will have to wait for some time. There is no rush.

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
Have you tried any steps to rectify?
Hard restarts or reinstalling the iOS (do an encrypted back up and then restore, if you donā€™t have access to IPSW files) Encrypted back up keeps all your banking apps still working after the restore is finished.

Looks like a glitchy iOS install, can happen with OTAs or Iā€™d try offloading and reinstalling your top 3 most used apps before the restore.

Nothings perfect when you install software, some isolated cases like yours, can happen.
I did the restore. What I did is I deleted the phone and then downloaded my backup from iCloud. Is there other way to do it? I donā€™t have a Pc or Mac

Reactions: Pearsey

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
how it started (iOS 15) 9+ hrs battery life

how its going (iOS 16). much worst battery life
Do you have Weather widget with current location weather status on Lock Screen? I removed it and it was way better battery on 11Pro compared to iOS 15.6.1 also with location services and home screen widget only.

Reactions: Pearsey

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
I did the restore. What I did is I deleted the phone and then downloaded my backup from iCloud. Is there other way to do it? I donā€™t have a Pc or Mac

Yeah thatā€™s correct, if you donā€™t have access to a computer.

Thatā€™s good to reinstall the software and all your apps to clear up any glitches. Gives your phone a good spring clean you could say.

As painful as it might be, but you have nothing to lose, systematically go through all your settings to make sure something hasnt been turned on after an update. For example, for some reason I noticed my backgrounds apps refresh got turned on with iOS 15.6 update.

Removing and reinstalling widgets can also find the culprit for bat drain

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
Yeah thatā€™s correct, if you donā€™t have access to a computer.

Thatā€™s good to reinstall the software and all your apps to clear up any glitches. Gives your phone a good spring clean you could say.

As painful as it might be, but you have nothing to lose, systematically go through all your settings to make sure something hasnt been turned on after an update. For example, for some reason I noticed my backgrounds apps refresh got turned on with iOS 15.6 update.

Removing and reinstalling widgets can also find the culprit for bat drain
I have to downgrade. I will find a computer today to do it. Just to confirm is not something in my head, my iPhone actually just stopped charging because the phone is too hot. I got a notification saying it will resume charging after it cools down. I knew it felt hot all the time which it never did in iOS 15, like I said this is an iPhone 13 Pro, I shouldnā€™t be having this issues.

Time to go back, maybe in 16.1 they will address this

uncming

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
For me, I upgraded to 16.0 from 15.6.1, then did a full erase and then chose to go setup as new

Iā€˜ll give it another day to see if it gets better then try removing the widgets

I have downgraded from beta to 15.X before, if you have a Mac it should work okay, just takes time

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
I have to downgrade. I will find a computer today to do it. Just to confirm is not something in my head, my iPhone actually just stopped charging because the phone is too hot. I got a notification saying it will resume charging after it cools down. I knew it felt hot all the time which it never did in iOS 15, like I said this is an iPhone 13 Pro, I shouldnā€™t be having this issues.

Time to go back, maybe in 16.1 they will address this

Yeah you shouldnā€™t. Thatā€™s quite a serious issue. Might not be software related, just coincidence. Could be a hardware fault thatā€™s popped up.

Iā€™d get on the phone to Apple so they can run some diagnostics on it. Too much heat exposure will degrade your new battery. Which is good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.