Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OJK

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2020
Hi,
I just wanted to share my (positive) experience with iOS 16 on my iPhone 8.
I was a bit scared due to the nightmare experience that the switch from iOS 14 to iOS 15 was for me.
With iOS 15 the system became much slower and I also had often bugs like the phone not responding.

A major annoyance was the double tap on home would sometimes just show a white screen and not the wallet. This has not occurred yet since I am on iOS 16.

Overall, iOS 16 seems a better OS for my iPhone 8 than iOS 15.

How’s your experience with older iPhones?

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
Have iOS 16 on my XR and seems to work just fine. Using the beta of ipados 16 on my 10.5 inch iPad Pro and it seems to work just fine as well.

bogggdann

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2022
Hello, everyone! I thought not opening a new thread. Below is my problem since yesterday:

I had iOS 15 (I believe it was 15.7) until yesterday, when I decided to update to iOS 16.1.2 on my iPhone 8 Plus.

In 8 hours I had 5 freezes: the phone doesn’t respond to any input, after several minutes the screen turns black with the rotating circle in the middle (which is not rotating, it’s just sitting there; please see the uploaded image) and afterwards it restarts with the apple logo on the white screen.
This is happening randomly and the apple support guy told me it might be because I have the battery health at 75% and he recommended changing it. The phone was working fine on iOS 15 and I have heard of the scandal regarding batterygate, so I don’t buy it. Also, the battery drains like crazy with the new iOS. It’s also restarting from time to time without using it. I know it does because I pull it out of my pocket and it’s asking for the Lock Screen code after restart.

However, if my iPhone doesn’t support iOS 16 (which then Apple shouldn’t market it as supported by iPhone 8 Plus), I just want to go back to iOS 15. The Apple guy told me it’s impossible, but I understood it isn’t.
Therefore, can you please help me with the steps that I have to follow in order to downgrade? Or do you have other ideas to make the iPhone work on iOS 16?

Thank you!

Attachments

• A52A5FF2-3A71-417C-8778-DA9AA7A9CDEA.png
    A52A5FF2-3A71-417C-8778-DA9AA7A9CDEA.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: kayuz6

OJK

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2020
Hello, everyone! I thought not opening a new thread. Below is my problem since yesterday:

I had iOS 15 (I believe it was 15.7) until yesterday, when I decided to update to iOS 16.1.2 on my iPhone 8 Plus.

In 8 hours I had 5 freezes: the phone doesn’t respond to any input, after several minutes the screen turns black with the rotating circle in the middle (which is not rotating, it’s just sitting there; please see the uploaded image) and afterwards it restarts with the apple logo on the white screen.
This is happening randomly and the apple support guy told me it might be because I have the battery health at 75% and he recommended changing it. The phone was working fine on iOS 15 and I have heard of the scandal regarding batterygate, so I don’t buy it. Also, the battery drains like crazy with the new iOS. It’s also restarting from time to time without using it. I know it does because I pull it out of my pocket and it’s asking for the Lock Screen code after restart.

However, if my iPhone doesn’t support iOS 16 (which then Apple shouldn’t market it as supported by iPhone 8 Plus), I just want to go back to iOS 15. The Apple guy told me it’s impossible, but I understood it isn’t.
Therefore, can you please help me with the steps that I have to follow in order to downgrade? Or do you have other ideas to make the iPhone work on iOS 16?

Thank you!
Did you do a full reset after the update?

OJK

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2020
Do you mean turning it off and back on or volume up + volume down + side button until the apple logo appears? I did both and nothing has changed…
No, I mean Settings>General>Transfer or reset phone>Reset
Maybe also the option “Erase all content and settings”.
You can do a backup before, and then restore it from there, even if the cleaner way would be to set everything up again manually. But the latter can obviously tedious, if you have many apps…

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

Thank you!
You can only get back to iOS 15 by using a downgrade loophole. It's very possible that the battery could be the source of some of the problems since Apple considers 80% seriously degraded. Perhaps iOS 16 is too hard on the weakened battery. You should probably try a restore as suggested above.

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
We have an iPhone 8 in our household and it's working fine on iOS16, no reboots, freezes, ... -> it is possible for an iPhone 8 to run fine on 16.2
For what it's worth, it did get a new battery about a year ago, battery health is near 100%...

I hope you get yours working again soon!

bogggdann

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2022
No, I mean Settings>General>Transfer or reset phone>Reset
Maybe also the option “Erase all content and settings”.
You can do a backup before, and then restore it from there, even if the cleaner way would be to set everything up again manually. But the latter can obviously tedious, if you have many apps…
Ah, I see… you know, I have tried yesterday evening to just turn it off (hold side button and swipe to turn off) and back on and I haven’t experienced any freezes until now, only a restart by itself when I wasn’t using it this morning. Backing up and resetting/erasing is the last method I want to try…
You can only get back to iOS 15 by using a downgrade loophole. It's very possible that the battery could be the source of some of the problems since Apple considers 80% seriously degraded. Perhaps iOS 16 is too hard on the weakened battery. You should probably try a restore as suggested above.
Can you please send me a PM on how it’s done, if it isn’t official or allowed by the forum rules?
We have an iPhone 8 in our household and it's working fine on iOS16, no reboots, freezes, ... -> it is possible for an iPhone 8 to run fine on 16.2
For what it's worth, it did get a new battery about a year ago, battery health is near 100%...

I hope you get yours working again soon!
Yes, I’m also waiting for the update to 16.2 to pop in, as I understood it will be widely released these days.

Thank you all for your helpful replies!

kayuz6

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2022
It
Ah, I see… you know, I have tried yesterday evening to just turn it off (hold side button and swipe to turn off) and back on and I haven’t experienced any freezes until now, only a restart by itself when I wasn’t using it this morning. Backing up and resetting/erasing is the last method I want to try…

Can you please send me a PM on how it’s done, if it isn’t official or allowed by the forum rules?

Yes, I’m also waiting for the update to 16.2 to pop in, as I understood it will be widely released these days.

16.2 should be released today, usually at 10am. :)

Reactions: bogggdann

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Can anyone share a settings-battery-last 24 hours screenshot of any iPhone that’s been mentioned? I’d like to see iOS 16’s impact on battery life.

I am running iOS 12 on my iPhone Xʀ, so if anyone could upload one of the iPhone Xʀ, I’d appreciate it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

Apple apparently shut down iOS 15 downgrades today with the release of 16.2, so you'll have to stay on iOS 16.

bogggdann

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2022
Apple apparently shut down iOS 15 downgrades today with the release of 16.2, so you'll have to stay on iOS 16.
Ah, ok… I have just seen that they also updated iOS 15 to 15.7.2… too bad I haven’t lingered more on that.

Updated to iOS 16.2, let’s see how it goes…

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
As far as I can tell they're no longer signing 15.6 RC or pushing 15.7.1 for regular OTA install. You get either 15.7.2 or 16.2 depending on the device.
So, as 15.7.2 is OTA only there’s no going back to iOS 15 from iOS 16 anymore. I checked, my Air 5 on iPadOS 15.6 (stock, not RC) now shows 15.7.2 instead of 15.7.1.

Reactions: Paddle1

bogggdann

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2022
Hello!
I have just found that after every random restart, the logs in the analytics data show panic-full. These have started after updating to iOS 16. It seems like I’m not the only one experiencing it.
I have also chatted with Apple support and entered a logging session for 24 hours to try and see where’s the problem coming from exactly. Is is safe from a personal data point of view? I mean, it’s not like Apple can have direct access to what I’m doing on the phone or see the screen, right?
Thank you

Attachments

• 1F711AB2-ED0C-4A84-B2BE-38F4CDF91A27.png
    1F711AB2-ED0C-4A84-B2BE-38F4CDF91A27.png
    202.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 22D72BC5-DC2D-4827-9311-30DF1C36B142.png
    22D72BC5-DC2D-4827-9311-30DF1C36B142.png
    473.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 66005451-5063-45B9-8D33-285DE86C2B16.png
    66005451-5063-45B9-8D33-285DE86C2B16.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • Wow
Reactions: kayuz6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.