Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Since I’ve installed iOS 17.03 I’ve noticed that my phone doesn’t charge with non-Apple cable. However the battery icon in the upper right corner indicates it is charging.

I thought my battery died and tried restarting my iPhone 13 Pro to see if it had any effect. I’ve tried different cables. Then I tried an original Apple cable and all worked as it supposed to work. I’m not using the original Apple cable because for me it’s not durable, too expensive and too short.

Anyone else experienced this issue?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
There was a thread the other day about iPhone showing the charger but not actually taking a charge.

I’m normally 100% MagSafe myself but had a rental car with wired CarPlay all last week. The phone charge from that using a generic 2-for-$7.99 cable.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
There was a thread the other day about iPhone showing the charger but not actually taking a charge.

I’m normally 100% MagSafe myself but had a rental car with wired CarPlay all last week. The phone charge from that using a generic 2-for-$7.99 cable.
Thanks, I’ll try to find the other post. I’m from Europe and Apple cables are 2x as expensive as they are in the USA. I can find better and more durable cables and had no issues with them before. After installing iOS 17.03 these problems appeared and since it’s shows it it’s charging, I think it’s a bug.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
not true.

i don't have a single apple usb-c charger and it works fine.
I’m happy for you it works just fine. For me IT DOESN’T WORK anymore with a non apple lightning cable on my iPhone 13 Pro.

So the NOT TRUE doesn’t make sense for ME.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Non-Apple cables do work. The question is, what brand/which cable isn’t working for you? Is the cable damaged or is the port dirty?

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Non-Apple cables do work. The question is, what brand/which cable isn’t working for you? Is the cable damaged or is the port dirty?
I have several cables 2 metres like the one in het picture. These all don’t work anymore. Although the charging indicator on my iPhone shows it is charging. When I use an authentic Apple lightning cable, my phone is charging.

Attachments

• IMG_4131.jpeg
    IMG_4131.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 101

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I have several cables 2 metres like the one in het picture. These all don’t work anymore. Although the charging indicator on my iPhone shows it is charging. When I use an authentic Apple lightning cable, my phone is charging.
It might just be that particular brand. Technically any non MFi certified cable isn't supposed to work, but most do.

Any Lightning cable that is MFi (Made for iPhone) certified should work, it doesn't have to be Apple's. The cheapest cables don't have that which iOS can be touchy about so they're much more likely to stop working or not work in the first place.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
It might just be that particular brand. Technically any non MFi certified cable isn't supposed to work, but most do.

Any Lightning cable that is MFi (Made for iPhone) certified should work, it doesn't have to be Apple's. The cheapest cables don't have that which iOS can be touchy about so they're much more likely to stop working or not work in the first place.
Thanks for your respond and you're right! I just bought another lightning cable (non apple) and that one is working. I threw the other non apple cables in the thrash. So I can remove this topic if possible :)

Reactions: Paddle1

jpdunn13

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2022
I've had lightning and usb-c cables go bad for no apparent reason, both Apple and generic dollar store kinds.

MyCtIsHK1973

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2023
Since I’ve installed iOS 17.03 I’ve noticed that my phone doesn’t charge with non-Apple cable. However the battery icon in the upper right corner indicates it is charging.

I thought my battery died and tried restarting my iPhone 13 Pro to see if it had any effect. I’ve tried different cables. Then I tried an original Apple cable and all worked as it supposed to work. I’m not using the original Apple cable because for me it’s not durable, too expensive and too short.

I have the battery non charging with non Apple lighting cable only after Update to iOS 17.02 and also 17.03. It is very slow but can charge with a wireless

I also can no longer charge my phone with the cable to charge after ios17.02 update and 17.03 update. Apple can go to hell. I will never use any Apple product forever. How can you shut off my phone to charge when It was working while in iOS 17.01. I was able to charge very slowly with a wireless charger . It takes a whole day more like 8 hours to charge. I have to find a 20 watt usb charger and Apple lightning cable to charge in about 2 Hours. I got a non Apple lighting to work with a 5 Volt charger and a non Apple lighting cable usb c to Apple lightning also works. some non Apple lighting can work but the one I had stop working after the iOS 17.02 update.If Apple can no longer fixed the non Apple MFI issue Quickly Apple will never get any business and I will post it everywhere I can about Apple’s Failure to correct this serious issues . Especially When I am in a Hospital and not able to get to my original Apple lightning cable to charge a dead battery.Thinking that my phone battery is no longer functioning any more.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I have the battery non charging with non Apple lighting cable only after Update to iOS 17.02 and also 17.03. It is very slow but can charge with a wireless

I also can no longer charge my phone with the cable to charge after ios17.02 update and 17.03 update. Apple can go to hell. I will never use any Apple product forever. How can you shut off my phone to charge when It was working while in iOS 17.01. I was able to charge very slowly with a wireless charger . It takes a whole day more like 8 hours to charge. I have to find a 20 watt usb charger and Apple lightning cable to charge in about 2 Hours. I got a non Apple lighting to work with a 5 Volt charger and a non Apple lighting cable usb c to Apple lightning also works. some non Apple lighting can work but the one I had stop working after the iOS 17.02 update.If Apple can no longer fixed the non Apple MFI issue Quickly Apple will never get any business and I will post it everywhere I can about Apple’s Failure to correct this serious issues . Especially When I am in a Hospital and not able to get to my original Apple lightning cable to charge a dead battery.Thinking that my phone battery is no longer functioning any more.
As far as they're concerned there is no "issue". When you buy an unofficial Lightning cable you are taking a gamble on whether it will actually work. Apple seems to update the list of unsupported cables for safety reasons or whatever purpose. Moving forward with iPhone 15 and above this should no longer be an issue as they use a universal standard for both wired and wireless charging.

LJM71

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
I have the same issue. Non apple cords no longer work even though they were brand new and purchased from the Apple Store and work elsewhere. Only apple cords are currently working. This is very frustrating.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have the same issue. Non apple cords no longer work even though they were brand new and purchased from the Apple Store and work elsewhere. Only apple cords are currently working. This is very frustrating.

Weird issue. I don't think I have any Apple brand cables in use anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.