Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I can connect wireless (and/or by USB cable) to my car and several other cars I tested with iphone 15 pro with the new update today iOS 17.1.2 but issues in car play with Siri hanging in messages and volume control etc are still not fixed. I am unable to send a message or reply to a message. Siri gets hung up, repeats herself and then says she can't send the message. This makes driving and using messages impossible.

I have reported this bug to Apple senior tech numerous times. I have sent logs and Apple ran diagnostics on my phone. Apple engineers said it's a known bug and to wait for a software update. I've been waiting two months so far.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone had this issue and resolved it? if so, how?

GoofyCyborg

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Wales, UK
It's a very minor update and so likely only offers security patches. Why folk think or expect so many fixes with such a release is baffling to me.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I can connect wireless (and/or by USB cable) to my car and several other cars I tested with iphone 15 pro with the new update today iOS 17.1.2 but issues in car play with Siri hanging in messages and volume control etc are still not fixed. I am unable to send a message or reply to a message. Siri gets hung up, repeats herself and then says she can't send the message. This makes driving and using messages impossible.

I have reported this bug to Apple senior tech numerous times. I have sent logs and Apple ran diagnostics on my phone. Apple engineers said it's a known bug and to wait for a software update. I've been waiting two months so far.

Did you not RTFM? If not, you should RTFM, or at least read the release notes prior to updating ANY OS, so that way you know what is being fixed or updated prior to installing. Apple can't be blamed for bad assumptions.

For the record, I haven't experienced any of those issues with my iPhone; however, I will caveat that by saying that I am still on an iPhone 11 Pro.

BL.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
It's a very minor update and so likely only offers security patches. Why folk think or expect so many fixes with such a release is baffling to me.
My other iPhone 15 has 17.2 b4 running on it and car play issues are not resolved in that version either so was hoping for a fix in iOS 17.1.2

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I did. But was still hoping. iOS 17.2 b4 on my wife’s iPhone 15 Pro doesn’t have car play issues fixed in it yet

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
My other iPhone 15 has 17.2 b4 running on it and car play issues are not resolved in that version either so was hoping for a fix in iOS 17.1.2

Again, it would be wrong and inconsistent for Apple, let alone any software developer to release a fix for an older version of an OS or device that did NOT include that fix in an upcoming release. In short, putting it in 17.1.x and leaving it out if any beta or future release of 17.2 makes no sense at all.

If they do a a.b.c release where c is up numbered, you can be guaranteed that it is a major fix from someone so drastically broken that tenets the device completely unusable, or fixes a major vulnerability that is being actively exploited, with that exploit having been released to the world.

BL.

DonnaVickery

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2023

I'm glad to know that I am not the only one with issues. My iPhone 15 Pro Max works flawlessly with CarPlay in my 2021 F150 Limited. But messaging in my Toyota RAV4 has stopped working. The Toyota Mobile Assistant in the RAV will acknowledge an incoming text and read it to me but I am unable to respond to a text. Same issue whether connected via Bluetooth or USBC cable. If BT is active and connects to the RAV then even though it appears the microphone is on, there is no response. Like several of you I spent long minutes discussing with an Apple Tech and even a Senior Tech. I have tried all the things mentioned in these threads but nothing changes.

DonnaVickery

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2023

This issue is so frustrating. So much so that I am changing up which vehicle to take on a major road trip. Being able to communicate AND be hands free is crucial for travel.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
This issue is so frustrating. So much so that I am changing up which vehicle to take on a major road trip. Being able to communicate AND be hands free is crucial for travel.

This link shows a video of the issue I have with messages in car play and Siri not responding to send a reply or send a new message. Is this the same problem you have?

Oshuayoung

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
Hi, I’m the guy who posted the original video on Reddit. Does anyone have a fix for this as even on 17.3 the problem is still there?

Reactions: Maxell

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Hi, I’m the guy who posted the original video on Reddit. Does anyone have a fix for this as even on 17.3 the problem is still there?
The problem is still there. No fix. Spoken to Apple Support and senior engineers multiple times and they still say “known issue” but don’t know when it will be fixed. Is yours fixed?

There’s a thread on this exact topic now on Apple discussions with a bunch of people with same problem

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I installed 17.3.1 today and tried my car play again. Disconnected and reconnected etc car play and even in 17.3.1 it is still not working!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.