Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2014
This product is so stupid. It could've been great if it didn't notify you of "objects following you." Meanwhile, there are actually trackers you can buy on Amazon that don't provide any such warnings. So, I don't buy this whole fear of lawsuits thing. The product manager is an idiot.

Baritone_Guy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2021
This item isn’t certified on the Apple Find My network. You can disable this item and stop it from sharing its location with the owner. To do this, follow the instructions provided on a website by the manufacturer of this item“

Or just use a hammer. Perhaps maybe, crushing it underfoot.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Please read the news, say NY Times. Whether it's auto theft blowing up or abusive ex-boyfriends, the sad reality is that creeps find AirTags to be quite useful (for misuse).
I don’t quite understand why car thieves are using a tracker that would notify the potential victim and their car that they are being targeted. With the “Tap here to stop the thief from thieving you” option to add to that.

Instead of any potential myriad of Amazon or black market trackers that they could use… nope, the AirTag is where it’s at somehow.

I’m completely missing the advantage.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Will be good if this is added to the latest update. If not now, hoping to see it at least in iOS 18

rcopus

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Imagine if a drug company just released drugs without any rigorous studies and trials?
Imagine if the agencies that approved the outcomes of those rigorous studies and trials were funded by the drug company too.

Just imagine, we'd be in some seriously corrupt world if something like that were to happen! Oh wait... :D

randomthoughts

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2020
Imagine if the agencies that approved the outcomes of those rigorous studies and trials were funded by the drug company too.

Just imagine, we'd be in some seriously corrupt world if something like that were to happen! Oh wait... :D

Regarding the idea of a government agency regulating emerging technologies, similar to the FDA's role with drugs, it's a proactive approach to balancing innovation with societal impact. Just as the FDA has systems to manage potential conflicts of interest, any new regulatory body for technology would need robust safeguards. This could include diversified funding, stringent ethical guidelines, and transparent decision-making processes. Such an agency could play a critical role in ensuring that technological advancements are safe and beneficial for society, echoing the FDA's mandate for drugs, while carefully navigating any potential conflicts of interest.

visasavo

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2021
This product has a fundamental problem. People want to use it for two mutually exclusive cases. Apple has to do absolutely everything they can to prevent people being tracked without their permission because people are already blowing the stalking aspect way out of proportion. Thieves don't want to be tracked, either. So it's an unsolvable problem.

I say this as someone personally aware of a case where an AirTag was used for stalking. That was one of many items on this person's long list of offenses. This person abused everything at their disposal including AirTags. Nobody can stop people abusing legitimate items. Everything is a weapon, as they say.

All Apple can do is officially declare them to be not for tracking stolen items, and be seen to be as anti-stalker as possible, because we live in history's most litigious society.
You didnt disprove my point. A kitchen kmife is used 99% for cooking, you cant remove the blade and point from them only because 1% of the users will use it to stab someboy. This silly reasoning behind the stalking has no place, anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.