Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
I think the buttons make sense, mimicking a physical remote, or the iPhone volume buttons. Sliders tend to make it difficult to change the volume in small amounts. However, it would be nice if they’d still display the current volume (as a percentage number or whatever).

Never in my life have I ever had issues with using a volume slider as opposed to buttons, if anything its easier cause ones your finger son slider you have full control in a simple swipe, with buttons you need to look at screen and keep clicking and if you look away you end up missing the buttons, its stupid on touch screen lol.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I went back and checked this. Strangely enough, there is no option labelled ‘FaceTime’, but there is one called ‘iPhone’. I suppose that would route the call using FaceTime if available. I couldn’t test it because I hardly have anyone using it. Maybe someone who actually uses FacteTime could check it. My Dad uses it, but on his iPad (no phone number, but email id). Tried calling him via the Contacts widget and that made a call to a lengthy random garbage number like this…
Thanks for checking. I tried it, and it kept wanting to place a phone call instead of facetiming the person. I couldn't find a way to make it facetime instead.

As a complete off-topic aside: Apple really should go back to the drawing board with using phone numbers for iMessage and FaceTime and then merging iMessage with SMS, and FaceTime with phone calls. This is why almost everyone I'm friends with tends to use WhatsApp. It differentiates an app (using wifi/data) from phone calls and old fashioned sms.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Never in my life have I ever had issues with using a volume slider as opposed to buttons, if anything its easier cause ones your finger son slider you have full control in a simple swipe, with buttons you need to look at screen and keep clicking and if you look away you end up missing the buttons, its stupid on touch screen lol.
I have issues all the time. Even if I get to exactly the volume I want while my finger is still on the slider, lifting the finger then often changes the volume again a bit. It’s maddening.

Last edited:

Juggernaut99

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2015
western NY
I think this is new?

IMG_7441.jpeg

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

CONFIRMED 👍

At its WWDC 2023 keynote event, Apple said the feature being rolled out as part of MacOS 14 Sonoma will allow a group of users to add and edit passwords and passkeys, letting everyone in the group keep them up to date.

DaPizzaMan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2016
CarPlay - when you get a text notification and it reads it out and you respond, it no longer jumps into a full screen for the text bur rather is a box overlay with buttons on top of whatever app, say maps, that you're already in.
That's huge! Good to know! Can you get a screenshot of this somehow?

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
It’s still a slider for me…

iPhone 14 Pro
iPhone 14 Pro Max, and you mean for controlling Apple TV? That's what my screenshot is.

For audio playing on the iPhone, it's a slider, it's only the above for controlling Apple TV.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
This seldom works unless someone takes it upon themselves to actively maintain the list.

Yea, every year we try it, and every year it fails. So I've given into the chaos, as I don't have the time myself to collate it all.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
iPhone 14 Pro Max, and you mean for controlling Apple TV? That's what my screenshot is.

For audio playing on the iPhone, it's a slider, it's only the above for controlling Apple TV.
Yes, when watching content on my Apple TV (YouTube app, YouTube TV app, Netflix, etc), I still have a volume slider.

Reactions: bbfc

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Is this effectively an additional reminder, or does it just backdate when the reminder will appear?
It seems to just give a heads up at the time you request. So I just set one for 1:45 PM with a 5 minute early reminder. Here's what it looks like:

1686159636063.png

So it's essentially just creating a separate notification before your reminder is actually set, so I guess kind of a second reminder? I can see how it'd be useful if your reminder is a meeting but then that would more logically be on the calendar than in Reminders, I guess. Or if I had a reminder to go to the post office at a time, that could be useful I guess.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It seems to just give a heads up at the time you request. So I just set one for 1:45 PM with a 5 minute early reminder. Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 2214632

So it's essentially just creating a separate notification before your reminder is actually set, so I guess kind of a second reminder? I can see how it'd be useful if your reminder is a meeting but then that would more logically be on the calendar than in Reminders, I guess. Or if I had a reminder to go to the post office at a time, that could be useful I guess.
What I mean is, if you dismiss the early notification, will there be another notification at the reminder’s actual time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.