Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makoru

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2023
Hi! This is my second day, I've reviewed the applications and none of them have strange behavior yet... I'm going to wait then, Thank you!

Reactions: Premium1 and Brad7

makoru

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2023
How long you been running beta? If less than 4 days, then that’s not unusual. If more than 4 days, see what apps are hammering it.

Could be due to an app being slightly incompatible with the new version of iOS, or all sorts of other reasons.
Hi! This is my second day, I've reviewed the applications and none of them have strange behavior yet... I'm going to wait then, Thank you!

Reactions: Brad7

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
There you go. Up to the first 3-4 days, the device is indexing, etc, which takes up power, meaning device drains battery faster. We see this all the time. After that period, should see it settling down.

makoru

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2023
There you go. Up to the first 3-4 days, the device is indexing, etc, which takes up power, meaning device drains battery faster. We see this all the time. After that period, should see it settling down.
Thanks! God listen to you!!!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
My two cents after the first couple of weeks…battery seems fine generally for a beta. My only issue has been when doing some “consistent” working like spending an hour creating a playlist in music.

Normally this would be no big deal for me…tapping through songs, adding to a playlist, starting another song, adding to a playlist.

Phone gets warm and “slow” to the point that even plugged in it will not charge ahead of the drain rate. And then maxes out at 80% since it says it is too hot to keep charging.

No major drain for me though outside of that very specific usage.

makoru

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2023
This is the fourth day with the iOS 17 beta and battery performance is my only problem. It is not associated with any application apparently, I do not see strange consumption. The battery lasts 60-70% of what it used to last. Let's see what happens with beta 2, (I hope it's next week?)

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Just wanted to chime in that the extreme drops in battery health for the iPhone 14 series doesn’t seem to be exclusive to iOS 17. There’s discussions on the Apple support site and all over Twitter with users seeing large and sudden drops in their battery health on iOS 16 as well as iOS 17.

My battery health was 97% in May and then plummeted to 91% over a two week period which prompted me to get it replaced. It’s unclear whether newer iOS versions are misreading the battery health or if something is actually frying these batteries.

morganthomas757

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
My iPhone 14 Pro Max battery health dropped to 99% recently. Purchased on release day. Not saying it’s the beta, but didn’t expect it to drop from 100% I guess.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
My two cents after the first couple of weeks…battery seems fine generally for a beta. My only issue has been when doing some “consistent” working like spending an hour creating a playlist in music.

Normally this would be no big deal for me…tapping through songs, adding to a playlist, starting another song, adding to a playlist.

Phone gets warm and “slow” to the point that even plugged in it will not charge ahead of the drain rate. And then maxes out at 80% since it says it is too hot to keep charging.

No major drain for me though outside of that very specific usage.

Couple of weeks? It has not even been out for 2 weeks 😅

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
My iPhone 14 Pro Max battery health dropped to 99% recently. Purchased on release day. Not saying it’s the beta, but didn’t expect it to drop from 100% I guess.
Your iPhone was never at 100% nowadays to begin with. Batteries degrade with every charging cycle, it‘s a normal progress. The battery health percentage is flawed as heck cause it only calibrates during rare key events like after certain iOS upgrades or unexpected shutdowns.

Having a 10% drop in the first year is very normal with normal to heavy use. Rule of thumb is: if your iPhone is hot to touch, say goodbye to your battery health (as that‘s what exponentially increases degradation).

And yes, your iPhone probably also isn‘t at 99%. The percentage introduction was one of Apples biggest mistakes. They should‘ve opted for a more generic visual indicator like macOS had („good health“ etc).

Ertan

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2015
iPhone 11 Pro sometimes gets too hot, especially outdoors, my hand burns a little. Battery drains fast.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
iPhone 12 Mini running cooler now

Not sure if hard reset or beta 2. Either way much better…

Reactions: Pearsey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.