Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark-vdw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I have an iPhone 11 lying around with very bad battery. I'm wondering if some combination of Standby Mode and Interactive Widgets would allow me turn it into a permanently plugged-in home console. All of the lights in my house are HomeKit controlled and having a permanent control console would help solve the "babysitter issue" that people visiting the house can't control everything. Has anyone been using the interactive widgets in iOS 17 beta for a home control scenario like this? Or is that not the right use case for these features?

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
I have an iPhone 11 lying around with very bad battery. I'm wondering if some combination of Standby Mode and Interactive Widgets would allow me turn it into a permanently plugged-in home console. All of the lights in my house are HomeKit controlled and having a permanent control console would help solve the "babysitter issue" that people visiting the house can't control everything. Has anyone been using the interactive widgets in iOS 17 beta for a home control scenario like this? Or is that not the right use case for these features?

I’ve had similar thoughts. Right now my experience the Home widget has provided mixed results but I expect that’s more to do it being a beta. I’m sure when it’s released it will function in Standby similarly as the standard widget does now. 3rd party widgets will also be available after iOS 17 launches as well.i also think it’s inevitable that wall mounts designed for this specific purpose will hit the market at some point.

Reactions: mark-vdw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.