Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
I’m finding it funny that the biggest feature of last year’s iPhone hardware update is getting nothing new added in iOS 17. Do you think there will be any new Dynamic Island features this year? Doesn’t currently seem so 🤔

Reactions: xeux

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I would argue that it is up to the individual developers of their apps to utilise Dynamic Island…?

However, Apple have improved its usage when it comes to AirDrop. So I’m sure there are some other small changes which will become apparent over time.

Reactions: maxrest and dz5b609

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
I’m finding it funny that the biggest feature of last year’s iPhone hardware update is getting nothing new added in iOS 17. Do you think there will be any new Dynamic Island features this year? Doesn’t currently seem so 🤔
So what would you want more from Apple from it, it's mostly up to the app developers to utilize it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Rumor is that the Dynamic Island will be on all iPhone 15 models...so if that's true, any updates will probably be saved for the launch event.
I agree with this largely because any significant change to how the Dynamic Island operates will require changes to the physical Dynamic Island cutouts

But I also agree that there's a lot of runway available for developers to do more with it even as it already is.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Rumor is that the Dynamic Island will be on all iPhone 15 models...so if that's true, any updates will probably be saved for the launch event.

This is my guess as well, either those changes will wait until the iPhone launch or they will wait to do major changes until iOS 18 when all the newest devices, not just the pro models, have the hardware to support dynamic island.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, I have a feeling that you’re correct ✅

Apple will want to give the Dynamic Island as much of the spotlight as possible when introducing it to the non-pro handsets. It makes sense to hold back any software-based functionality addition announcements until then.

Reactions: maxrest

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
More things use dynamic island, alarms, Apple Watch unlock notifications, no mobile data connectivity are ones I've noticed so far.

Reactions: MinEderPlayz

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
More things use dynamic island, alarms, Apple Watch unlock notifications, no mobile data connectivity are ones I've noticed so far.
It really depends on developers to use it. Apple Music and phone both use it. The Flighty App uses it, as does Carrot Weather, Fantastical and Drafts (!!!).

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
It really depends on developers to use it. Apple Music and phone both use it. The Flighty App uses it, as does Carrot Weather, Fantastical and Drafts (!!!).
My list was things that are using it in iOS 17 that aren’t in iOS 16, system level stuff. So Apple are making more use of it.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
I‘m really disappointed too. DI looked like a very useful thing but I‘ve used it like 5 times, because they do nothing with it. I‘m expecting ALL system notifications, notifications in general to be displayed there. Or if nothing is happening on DI, a long-press could offer a dock-like UI with my most used apps. I‘m guessing they keep all the DI updates for the final iOS 17 version. When all iPhones have a DI

Reactions: ibookemo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.