Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisHasAniPhone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2023
Well, I didn’t see this coming.

Last week, I installed iOS 17 on my iPhone 13, and now my experience is a lot more crappier than expected.

First, the battery life.

Of course, I was expecting some battery drain with this update, as I have experienced with iOS 16 (I had to learn that the hard way), but now with this update, my battery is crap. Battery health is at 86% now, compared to 87% before installing the update. That means crappier battery life and a battery that won’t make it through the afternoon with heavy use, even with battery saver on. So much for a phone with a “all-day battery life.”

IMG_2296.png

Before this update, my phone lasted until about 4 or 5pm before it got to 20% battery. Now it’s in the early-to-mid afternoon hours, and that’s with heavy use. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. My phone is now sluggish. Animations are lagging like most low-end Android and PC devices, with frame-rate drops when closing control center, opening app switcher, and even entering the home screen. This happens when battery saver is on and when brightness is set to high. I’m so fed up with Apple, and I’m now looking at getting a new battery for my phone to see if this solves my problems. If all else fails, Android is my only hope.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Same experience here with the 13, but iOS 17.0.1 made everything feel noticeably snappier and the battery better than the 17.0 release. My battery is similar health-wise. I doubt there’s any throttling going on at above 80% but it definitely lasts less because of natural degradation and iOS 16/17 being more power-hungry than iOS 15 was.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The phone throttles performance when it gets too hot so high brightness can certainly cause lag. Low power mode also throttles performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.