Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DWNikonuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
I see from the Apple Community group this issue was reported about a month ago but I only noticed problems with my iPhone 12 on IOS 17.1.2 less than a week ago.

same issues as others, wrong artwork, Apple Music stopping playing & refusing to restart. All my music stored on Imac is copied from my CDs, none from downloads. Could not sync to my iMac (Retina 5K 27” (mid 2015) running OS Big Sur v11.7.10). In desperation I deleted Apple Music app completely from phone and reinstalled.Mac would not sync with phone unless Sync music turned off in music app on phone. When I did this phone would not do anything unless sync feature turned on. So basic problem is I cannot get Apple Music on phone and iMac to connect with each other, phone only wants to connect to Cloud.

this is hard to explain, but my complete music library shows in the music app as being on my phone but the physical data is not on phone (have checked my iCloud account and it’s not there either), but music plays streaming from net over mobile data/WiFi. Been using iPhones for 10yrs and never had these problems till now so immediately suspected latest IOS update.

I simply want to copy music I have copied from CD from my iMac to my phone without linking it to any cloud service. Should be a perfectly simple process, as it has been up to now.

A salutary reason to to collect your music on physical media such as CD not rely on intangible downloads!

It seems we may have to wait for Apple to fix this but if anyone has had this problem and managed to resolve I’d be grateful for advice.

many thanks

Reactions: Nightfury326

DWNikonuser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2024
Further to my post above, firstly I meant IOS 17.2.1. I really don’t profess what is going on here and struggle a bit to describe my experience. When I last connected my phone to my iMac it said it was syncing, but clearly not to my Mac. I was most puzzled to find my entire music library (with correct artwork/tracks showing on my phone, even though checking storage shows the 80gb of data making up my music is NOT physically on my phone. I checked my iCloud account and the data is not there either, when went up to London to my office last Thursday the music played (streaming from somewhere?) even when I had no signal on the underground train. I tried turning off mobile data on my phone, so it could not stream from anywhere, yet Apple Music played my music no problem. However at various times the app stopped playing and would only resume after I had switched the phone off and rebooted the app. I don’t profess to understand what is happening but Apple needs to fix it fast. I saw something about forthcoming IOS 17.1.3 update. Can Apple assure us this will resolve the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.