Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
This doesn't make any sense. Unless I'm missing something... Am I ?

For ages I've been using the Home controls on the lock screen trough the Control Center without having to unlock my phone. Since iOS 16 I've also been able to create widgets pointing to shortcuts to control my HomeKit devices from the lock screen without having to unlock my phone.

This is still true on iOS 17.

BUT!

The new live widgets for Home don't allow that. Previously the two top widgets on my screen were two shortcuts I made: one to turn off all the lights, and one to switch on/off my cooling fan. I replaced them with "real" live Home widgets to control those smart devices, but to turn on a light or control a fan or whatever I need to unlock my phone. Where's the consistency and logic about that?

Again, am I missing something?

IMG_8128.png

manhattanmania

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
Im also having this issue! Not in control center, but standby mode. The home widgets want me to unlock, completely defeating the purpose of standby mode. I have access home controls while locked enabled.

Reactions: Squillace

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Im also having this issue! Not in control center, but standby mode. The home widgets want me to unlock, completely defeating the purpose of standby mode. I have access home controls while locked enabled.
Shouldn’t it scan your face right there?

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Shouldn’t it scan your face right there?
It does.

But that doesn't make any sense. Fundamentally we can control the Home accessories via the control center and via shortcuts WHITOUT having to unlock the phone. So, the need to unlock on the lock Home Screen widgets and on Standby mode (as Manhattanmaia correctly said) is a nonsense.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Did you contact apple/send a bug report?

I haven't because I don't know if I'm having a bug or if this is an actual feature and it's the proper behavior Apple wants.
That's why I posted here. I really doubt I'm the only one using Home widgets on the Lock Screen......

manhattanmania

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
It does.

But that doesn't make any sense. Fundamentally we can control the Home accessories via the control center and via shortcuts WHITOUT having to unlock the phone. So, the need to unlock on the lock Home Screen widgets and on Standby mode (as Manhattanmaia correctly said) is a nonsense.

Correct. But also, FaceID is not unlocking reliably AT ALL bc the phone is horizontal, so thats not a solve.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc
I haven't because I don't know if I'm having a bug or if this is an actual feature and it's the proper behavior Apple wants.
That's why I posted here. I really doubt I'm the only one using Home widgets on the Lock Screen......
True! But (I just thought of that) by writing to them, if its expected behaviour they will tell you it is! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.